Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:48 PM

241 posts, read 361,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Oh, okay - it's ALL "Western countries" that need to look like those fashionable Europeans and Brazilians . Now the topic has moved from poor fashion to poor grooming. I don't know why we socially unacceptable Westerners even leave our homes.

BTW - which countries are those "Western anglo countries" - any of them in Europe (must be the ugly part of Europe).
Anglo countries refer to countries such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain. I am not trying to idolize Brazilians and Europeans, as other posters pointed out they have their problems with obesity and not all dress like runway models. However, it may be a generalization but people in these counties usually put more of an effort in grooming, staying fit, and styling then the average anglo westerner. Any ways I am sorry I even brought up Brazil and Europe, my focus is on the USA here. You should dress and style however you want, my focus is more on staying healthy, and grooming more then anything else. I am not trying to come across a judgmental but when I see people walking around with their pants sagging, or dressed in clothes that look like they haven't been washed in years I think some styling pointers may not be bad for some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 03:54 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,935,156 times
a little dab of eye makeup goes a LONG way in my opinion - keeps you from looking like you just rolled out of bed.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:04 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,386,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
I used the 50s/60s as an example because I remember going through a relatives pics of when she was young and I was struck at how pretty and healthy everyone look. No one was supermodel beautiful but they all looked well groomed, and put together.
In the 50's and 60's, most photographs were only taken on 'occasion,' when people were probably dressed up and put together for the photograph.

With the advent of digital media, photographs get taken all the time and for no real reason other than someone has their phone out and snaps a quick pic.

I don't think photographs of a particular era prior to this one is a good gauge of every day living during that era.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Absolutely! Men really need to start wearing more makeup. What's up with that? Letting themselves go around looking all natural and stuff. It's just unsightly that they don't take any pride in prettying up their appearance for everyone else's aesthetic pleasure.
My points apply to both men and women. This isn't about looking pretty for opposite sex anyhow, I don't brush my teeth regularly for men I do it for myself because I know if I don't it could lead to serious health issues.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:15 PM

17,586 posts, read 39,300,145 times
I think people are misinterpreting "dressing up." It's all about looking like you are clean, hair combed and somewhat styled, and for women maybe a TINY dab of makeup. I only wear a bit of eye makeup and tinted lip gloss. My "dressing up" means I prefer sundresses and skirts (live in FL) over yoga pants, etc. and I often wear a little jewelry. It takes no more time to dress this way than it does to wear sloppy ill-fitting clothes. No one needs to be wearing suits (for men) all the time or heels and hose for women, and that is not what this is about.

But definitely many other cultures put more importance on looking nice than most Americans these days, at least that is my experience.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
In the 50's and 60's, most photographs were only taken on 'occasion,' when people were probably dressed up and put together for the photograph.

With the advent of digital media, photographs get taken all the time and for no real reason other than someone has their phone out and snaps a quick pic.

I don't think photographs of a particular era prior to this one is a good gauge of every day living during that era.
That is a good point. My relative who grew up in that time period mentioned me however no matter what there economic status was the majority of people in general dressed better and were more active then most people today. The 50s/60s were definitely not a perfect time period and I prefer modern times by far but I think that we could learn some habits from the past instead of dismissing them.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I think people are misinterpreting "dressing up." It's all about looking like you are clean, hair combed and somewhat styled, and for women maybe a TINY dab of makeup. I only wear a bit of eye makeup and tinted lip gloss. My "dressing up" means I prefer sundresses and skirts (live in FL) over yoga pants, etc. and I often wear a little jewelry. It takes no more time to dress this way than it does to wear sloppy ill-fitting clothes. No one needs to be wearing suits (for men) all the time or heels and hose for women, and that is not what this is about.

But definitely many other cultures put more importance on looking nice than most Americans these days, at least that is my experience.
Thank you, this exactly what I have been trying to put into words. I personally prefer some aspects of American fashion to European, Southern Prep(lilly pulitze) being my favorite.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
That is a good point. My relative who grew up in that time period mentioned me however no matter what there economic status was the majority of people in general dressed better and were more active then most people today. The 50s/60s were definitely not a perfect time period and I prefer modern times by far but I think that we could learn some habits from the past instead of dismissing them.

I think the 'more active' part is far more important than what people wear. If you put identical casual clothes on someone fit and healthy alongside someone who is unfit and unhealthy looking, I imagine most people would declare the first person to be 'better looking/put together' in comparison.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:

I think the 'more active' part is far more important than what people wear. If you put identical casual clothes on someone fit and healthy alongside someone who is unfit and unhealthy looking, I imagine most people would declare the first person to be 'better looking/put together' in comparison.
I am in favor of freedom of expression when it comes to fashion. Perhaps I am being too judgmental but anytime I see someone dressed in clothes that have food stains all over them with their butt crack hanging out I feel the urge to go all "What not to wear" on them. But yes grooming yourself and eating right are the most important to me at least. The world would be boring if everyone dressed similar to me.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I am in favor of freedom of expression when it comes to fashion. Perhaps I am being too judgmental but anytime I see someone dressed in clothes that have food stains all over them with their butt crack hanging out I feel the urge to go all "What not to wear" on them. But yes grooming yourself and eating right are the most important to me at least. The world would be boring if everyone dressed similar to me.
I might have been that person a time or two when my kid was in the early weeks of his life and I was running on 4 hours of sleep stretched out over 3 days in 20 minute increments but I still needed to go to the store.

Sometimes, you just don't know what's really going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty