Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 08:33 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,202,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
I started this forum with the purpose of telling my story on how I bettered my self when it came to my weight, drinking, and drug usage. How my appearance and health improved greatly. I did not I repeat start this forum to judge or shame people, but to inform them of the benefits of trying harder.
Why didn't you mention this in the first place ?

Your first post has completely different implications from what you posted here. What you say here makes total sense and would have been a much better way to start the conversation. Expanding upon this is a great starting point. It would have invoked a completely different array of responses. I have been guilty of doing this as a newbie, and felt the same way when threads didn't turn out as intended. As you are a new poster I will forgive you and give a hint. With experience, you will learn to create threads which invoke responses as expected. It takes time, but you will get there my friend. Best of Luck .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 09:00 PM

241 posts, read 359,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Why didn't you mention this in the first place ?

Your first post has completely different implications from what you posted here. What you say here makes total sense and would have been a much better way to start the conversation. Expanding upon this is a great starting point. It would have invoked a completely different array of responses. I have been guilty of doing this as a newbie, and felt the same way when threads didn't turn out as intended. As you are a new poster I will forgive you and give a hint. With experience, you will learn to create threads which invoke responses as expected. It takes time, but you will get there my friend. Best of Luck .
Thank you, much appreciated. I can see how some poster might of taken my first post wrong. I feel like a broken record having to keep telling people I am not suggesting they drop everything and spend all their time and money to look like a supermodel. Nor do I think everyone who doesn't take my advice should be killed or shamed, or glare at people who have messy hair. Sheesh.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:20 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,202,675 times
Quote:
Thank you, much appreciated. I can see how some poster might of taken my first post wrong. I feel like a broken record having to keep telling people I am not suggesting they drop everything and spend all their time and money to look like a supermodel. Nor do I think everyone who doesn't take my advice should be killed or shamed, or glare at people who have messy hair. Sheesh.
Trust me, I have been through it. Point I want to and intend to make are different. I correct myself repeatedly but it seems like a lost cause after the first 90 minutes when your post can be edited. Good night and "sleep loose" ( in terms of clothes) .

Old 06-19-2014, 09:46 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,334,272 times
What if people don't want to attract anyone and are quite happy being fat and slobby?

Sounds like a fat/slob shaming thread.

Carry on.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
What if people don't want to attract anyone and are quite happy being fat and slobby?

Carry on.
I never said you should do this to attract the opposite sex, but for YOURSELF. Your health, well being, and confidence. If your happy were you are then rock on, no one here is actively bashing people who are overweight, so I have no idea why people think my intent is to shame others. My intent is show he benefits of living a healthy life and to encourage others to nourish their natural beauty to the fullest.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
The problem with the entire premise of your thread, is that you make an assumption that all people who are eating well nd exercising often are going to look a certain way, that's acceptable to you. Reality is, you can't tell who is eating well or excessing by looking at them. Healthy (and happy) comes in all sorts of packages.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:18 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Here what I do:
- every morning I brush my teeth, wash up, and spend 6-10 minutes on my hair and makeup.
- I work with the clothes I got, I just make sure they fit me properly and look tidy.
-eat healthy and nutrition snacks throughout my day.
- schedule in a 30-45 minute run on the weekends.
- apply skin regimes on my face to prevent acne break outs nightly.
- wash my hair once a week
That's it. A lot people on this forum are acting like I am telling them to spend three hours everyday doing their nails or spend all their money on designer brands.
No, what we don't understand is why you would think these basic grooming activities would be unusual, or something people don't already do, and need advising on. This is the mystery of this thread. Who is your intended audience? And btw, some overweight women look hot! It's all in how you package yourself, and your attitude.

edit: Oh, wait, I just saw this: I started this forum with the purpose of telling my story on how I bettered my self when it came to my weight, drinking, and drug usage. So your intended audience is substance abusers, overweight people, and the like. No wonder most people here couldn't relate!

Old 06-19-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The problem with the entire premise of your thread, is that you make an assumption that all people who are eating well nd exercising often are going to look a certain way, that's acceptable to you. Reality is, you can't tell who is eating well or excessing by looking at them. Healthy (and happy) comes in all sorts of packages.
I acknowledge that everyone has different body types(pear,curvy, rectangular etc.). Of course people who eat well and exercise often come in different bodies, for all we know they could just be at different stages in regards to it. Its also a good thing to note not everyone who is skinny is exactly healthy. One of my friends is very slim but eats horridly. But this isn't about being skinny, but being healthy. If your chunky but your doctors tells you are healthy then you should be happy with yourself. Even if I was slim, if my doctor told me I wasn't healthy I would still attempt to become more healthy/active.

I am not encouraging other people to better themselves so they can get my approval what an absurd thing to say. Its your choice at the end of the day, I am just here to inform you of the benefits. Health is the one number thing I prioritize, eating healthy and exercise are just suggestions to other people who want to improve theirs. I eat healthy and try to exercising daily and like I said earlier I don't look anywhere close to those airbrushed beauties in Men's magazine nor do i turn heads when I walk down the street. But I am happy because I have retained much of my natural beauty to its fullest. It seems as though too many people base what they find attractive on airbrushed models. I have wider range of taste then most of what I find attractive.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, what we don't understand is why you would think these basic grooming activities would be unusual, or something people don't already do, and need advising on. This is the mystery of this thread. Who is your intended audience? And btw, some overweight women look hot! It's all in how you package yourself, and your attitude.

edit: Oh, wait, I just saw this: I started this forum with the purpose of telling my story on how I bettered my self when it came to my weight, drinking, and drug usage. So your intended audience is substance abusers, overweight people, and the like. No wonder most people here couldn't relate!
I think I was just amazed at how better I looked and feel after going through all of it. I would love for other people to experience the feel that I did. I use to hate myself and thought I was ugly, its wasn't until I started to improve myself that I saw my true natural beauty. Just be happy and confident about yourself, the world needs more women with those qualities. My intended audience was everyone really, I think anyone can learn from my advice especially people who aren't happy themselves.

I wrote the above list to show people, it really doesn't take that much time or work to look ok.

Personally I think the plus size model Viktoria Manas is one of the most beautiful women out there, so curvy:

Last edited by MissLadyLexi25; 06-19-2014 at 11:47 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 11:43 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,227,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post

Carry on.
Fat and slob are not interchangeable.
You can be overweight without being a slob. Losing weight is often very difficult and requires a lot of effort and time and discipline, not to mention medical issues. That doesn't mean you stop taking care of your appearance.
Being a slob, however, IS shameful. It shows a basic disrespect of yourself. If being a slob is okay, can we then let go of personal hygiene too? After all, WHY are we required to bathe, brush teeth, wear deodorant? What if a person is happy not doing any of these things?
We sure have no problem shaming people who are bad housekeepers, who are slobs when it comes to having dirty houses, who are hoarders or have nasty yards, etc. Yet god forbid you say anything about the people wearing dirty pajamas out, two sizes too small with flesh rolling out of them, greasy hair, etc. That's clearly not politically correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty