Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 08:42 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Just because I wear a tight tank top and shorts doesn't mean I'm doing it to get a man's attention. Men who think this are self absorbed.
I will wear what I am comfortable in and any man getting the wrong idea is going to have a real problem on their hands.
It is ridiculous for you to dress in tight clothing then get upset when you get male attention. Even if it's not your reason for wearing such things, that doesn't change the fact that men will get the wrong idea, and their eyes will be instinctively drawn to you. Tough shi*, that's how the world goes round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 08:43 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I dress for attention (male and female) and feel disappointed if I don't get it! Having said that, I do NOT dress skanky or like a hooker. I like feminine sundresses or clothing that emphasizes my assets without going overboard. I don't think women mind getting attention per se, they just don't like lewd leering or comments, etc. But a look, smile or nice compliment is always appreciated, at least by me!
When see that a woman has taken deliberation put together a look that successfully enhances her appearance, I have not gotten anything but appreciation in pointing out that I noticed what she'd done and that she was successful at it.

My tailor (a middle-aged European woman who is keeping her figure very well) wore a long, form-fitting white dress last week with figure-enhancing black stripes. I mentioned, "That dress really looks fabulous on you." She didn't seem to mind.

OTOH, a lot of the young women at my company these days wear animal-print leggings as pants, low-decolletage blouses, and "ho-stack" stilettos as "business casual." They think they look stylish, but I would not ever consider mentioning their dress to them.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 06-08-2014 at 08:51 AM..

Old 06-08-2014, 09:58 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,686,644 times
Mostly any attention I get is flattering and respectable. My guess is if I dressed very revealing it would be the opposite.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:58 AM

706 posts, read 1,180,650 times
I sometimes dress in fairly revealing clothing, nothing too outlandish. But when I do, it's a day where I am deliberately trying to get looks. It may be a day that I need a little ego boost, or it might be a day I'm feeling flirtatious. I have zero shame in admitting I do it occasionally. But then again, I've never been the type of woman who has ever been offended by the basic laws of attraction or by male attention. Interestingly enough, though I draw looks and smiles...even a few come ons, I've never been talked to or cat called in a manner that is in anyway disrespectful, even when I'm not with my intimidating looking hubby.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:06 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,544 times
Pictures, ladies, or it didn't (doesn't) happen. I'll be the one to decide.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:13 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
Mostly any attention I get is flattering and respectable. My guess is if I dressed very revealing it would be the opposite.
There is a very small relationship between clothing choice and comment quality. The relationship between race/ethnicity + body shape and comments is much higher. There is a reason that women with certain types of assets disguise the and find it has no impact. Sketchy ill-intentioned men still comment whether it is well fitting, suggestive or sweats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Some men have manners and some don't just like women.
Basically. Men should not feel compelled to comment about my appearance out of context. These "rules" are perfect.
You Can't Tell the Attorney General She Has an Epic Butt, But Here's What You CAN Do

Old 06-08-2014, 10:21 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
No touching the buns unless I say it's ok.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
Interestingly enough, though I draw looks and smiles...even a few come ons, I've never been talked to or cat called in a manner that is in anyway disrespectful, even when I'm not with my intimidating looking hubby.
Lucky you, because I learned at an early age inappropriate catcalls can happen in every outfit. Unfortunately the first one I remember was at around age 10 in my Girl Scout uniform and has continues ever since. Even though my style has oscillated between Michelle Obama preppy with a few stints of athletic pants tomboy and basic and boring khakis and polos. Most if my early 20s was spent in conceal mode after too many a annoyances when I wore cute and fairly conservative outfits. I didn't make a large scale return to dresses till my mid 20s or later.

I wish people eod stop trying to blame women for dressing "inappropriately" and spend more time teaching men to act respectful and appropriate and call them out for bad behavior.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:23 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Lucky you, because I learned at an early age inappropriate catcalls can happen in every outfit. Unfortunately the first one I remember was at around age 10 in my Girl Scout uniform and has continues ever since. Even though my style has oscillated between Michelle Obama preppy with a few stints of athletic pants tomboy and basic and boring khakis and polos. Most if my early 20s was spent in conceal mode after too many a annoyances when I wore cute and fairly conservative outfits. I didn't make a large scale return to dresses till my mid 20s or later.

I wish people eod stop trying to blame women for dressing "inappropriately" and spend more time teaching men to act respectful and appropriate and call them out for bad behavior.
Yep some men are pigs.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:28 AM

706 posts, read 1,180,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

I think a lot of it probably does have to do with body type. I recall from your previous posts that you're on the curvier side. I think women with ample boobage and behinds draw far more attention and lewd behavior than those who don't. I'm a black girl whose genetics gave me a tall, slim/athletic shape vs. One that is exceptionally curvy like most black women. Perhaps that's why I don't get the same lewd behavior when I'm out and about. My sister is completely opposite of me...short, plump and very curvy and her experience is similar to yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty