Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 11:56 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiddlay View Post
Yes this is after the UCSB tragedy that happened after the guy got angry of white girls rejecting him and went on a rampage. Now since White girls are always promoted as the most attractive, guys (of all races) want them.

If they were not promoted as the most attractive, would they still be the most desired?
No, they wouldn't be
everybody is attracted to people (men/women) with a nice tan

Norkys Batista (Venezuela)

Old 06-02-2014, 08:12 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So much truth written here^^^.

In general, Asian and Indian men have financial and economic success in the US which most comes from owning their own businesses, medical practices and jobs in tech or STEM. And despite being characterized as model minorities, Asians tend to have difficultly climbing the corporate ladder (The Bamboo Ceiling). And despite all of the achievement and financial success, Asian and Indian men do not have social privilege.

Generally speaking, what helps black men attract white women is the myth/stereotype of the "bbc" and Hispanic men have the stereotype of being the suave "Latin lover." Asian men have been stereotyped as having the opposite issue. And let's be honest, people decide their whether or not to date other races/ethnicities based upon stereotypes.

Lastly, the reason that the objects of the UCSB killer's desire have been largely silent is because they are used to being seen as the trophy worth dying for. They are the most highly valued in our society. When one of them goes missing the whole world stops to search for them (JonBenet Ramsey, Elizabeth Smart, Natalee Hollaway) Missing white woman syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Your statement makes it sound like everyone does that. I don't. I consider all these women to be hot.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:10 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Technically the term "white" or "black" is now a matter of self-identification. You can decide if you are white or black or other.

White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, English, Scottish, Italian, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish.

For ethnic Latinos 47.9% identify as "White" and 42.2% identify as "Some other race".

Nearly all scientists consider "race" a social definition and not based on any meaningful biological facts. The concepts of a "white, black, yellow, red, and brown" race were formally written in books in the 18th century and were based on the very limited science at the time. They were heavily mixed with the social structure then existing which was trying to justify both slavery and the mass slaughter of indigenous people.

At the risk of being obvious, Lupita Nyong'o is one of the most frequently photographed exemplar of beauty in the USA today.
I beg to differ. I live in South Florida in a metro population of almost six million and not one Hispanic, Latino, or non Latino South America or of Caribbean origins considers themselves White. No one.

If you are White, your background is European and not North Africa either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
I never saw a white person who tan look black afterwards. They still look like white people.
My background is Central European and I have olive skin. I once spent two weeks on a sailboat in the Bahamas and didn't recognize myself in photos I was so dark. I was much darker than a lot of black people I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
MTV didn't show black videos period. It's their network and they have the power and the rule is no black people. The same thing with "Most Beautiful Person in the World" or "Beauty Pageants". White people are in power and are the dominant group. They have to keep it that way in all facets of life. The beauty avenue is no exception. White women can't be ignored because that would indicate a loss of power. White people understand this. But everyone else wants to pretend that there's no game being played. To admit so would admit to racism and that's what everyone is dodging.
MTV did show black videos in the beginning but they showed very few. I remember Prince videos very few and far in between but they did come on occasionally.

To get back to the OP, I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think Angelina Jolie is beautiful at all even though media tells me I'm wrong every day.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:36 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Your statement makes it sound like everyone does that. I don't. I consider all these women to be hot.

I'm not certain of the source of the compilation of these photos. Are they models? I wouldn't dispute that all are fairly attractive women, at least in the face. But symptomatic of this thread, all of these women very much follow a "Western" ideal of beauty. They are all basically variations of the same phenotype in different skin tones. First and foremost, all of these women appear to be thin. That is a very "Western" ideal of beauty and not universal. I would wager that the average "beautiful" European American and African American woman are a bit "fuller in the face" than the women depicted in your photos. Although rare, there have been non-skinny Miss Universe pageant contestants and they have been panned. Donald Trump even stripped one of her crown for gaining weight. The countries from which these thicker beauty queens originate do not view thinness as their beauty ideal. I think the women in the pictures below look better than the typical model or Miss Universe contestant IMHO.

Secondly, while there are a few African and South Asian women in your photos, none are particularly dark. While not white, all of the non-European models have a skin tone with a very "Western" sense of acceptability. There are hundreds of millions of Dravidians (and Sri Lankans to the south) that are exceedingly dark. Many of them are darker than even Equatorial Africans. Yet it is rare than dark South Asian women are held up as the ideal of beauty even though many are quite beautiful and certainly outnumber the white phenotype.

And despite having some of the most beautiful "dark" women in the world, point blank your photo of the Brazilian woman is absolutely NOT recognized as a standard of beauty in Brazilian media.

Why No Dark-skinned Women On Brazil TV? | Pride News Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I beg to differ. I live in South Florida in a metro population of almost six million and not one Hispanic, Latino, or non Latino South America or of Caribbean origins considers themselves White. No one.
Where do you live in South Florida? You really need to travel south of the Broward County Line my friend. No other Hispanic/Latino group in America asserts their "whiteness" more demonstratively or publicly than the White Cubans of Miami.

The case of the white Cubans - Gene Expression | DiscoverMagazine.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
MTV did show black videos in the beginning but they showed very few. I remember Prince videos very few and far in between but they did come on occasionally.
MTV absolutely did NOT show "black" videos in the beginning. Apart from my own memory, those who have actually researched the topic looking at MTV yearbooks believe that it took MTV well over a year to even show a Prince video ("Little Red Corvette") hence the picture of Prince in my previous post (he is not the "blackest" of "black" artists). Even after beginning to show Prince and then Michael Jackson, their videos were in light rotation despite "black" artists routinely representing about 1/4 or 1/5 of chart topping artists in the early 80s. Although I loathe Wikipedia as a source, this entry on the breaking of MTV's color barrier is pretty accurate and definitely corroborates my memories:

MTV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would strongly refute many of the revisionist assertions made by MTV personnel in the entry. It is a flat out LIE that black artists did not make videos that could be played on MTV. You can look at the Billboard charts from the early to mid 80s and black artists made videos for almost all of their songs. They're all on YouTube and judging by the video quality were clearly made in the 80s. MTV just chose not to play them. I don't recall MTV routinely showing black artists until they debuted Yo! MTV Raps in August of 1988 (which I distinctly remember and to MTV's credit was groundbreaking). As a matter of fact, the only reason for BET's existence was playing the "black" music videos that MTV would not (and to show reruns of black sitcoms from the 70s in syndication).

Old 06-02-2014, 08:46 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Steelers, I didn't quote you directly because your quote was so long.

Firstly, my sister married into a VERY prominent Cuban family in Miami. They were one of the few that were prominent in Cuba and came to the US way before the Mariel Boatlift in the 1950s. They do not consider themselves white. They are Americans of Cuban heritage. My family is very entrenched in Miami.

I never said MTV started off playing Prince right off the bat. I recall the early years watching MTV late at night and seeing Prince videos. In later years, I have no idea when but I'm guessing early to mid 80s Whitney Houston was so popular, they started playing her videos 24-7.

I agree Cubans who emigrated after 1981 lean more towards a Cuban way of life than a typical American (kids live at home until they marry and even after, multiple generations of family living together, etc).

Old 06-02-2014, 08:59 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
>>While not white, all of the non-European models have a skin tone with a very "Western" sense of acceptability. <<

I have read that on Indian match boards, stating in your profile the you are "fair skinned" is a big plus. I know for a fact that in many third world societies when a new born is described as "so white", it is a statement of rarity or beauty. We have it here too when people talk about porcelain skin. I don't think there is an equivalent descriptor for darker skins. The way I look at it is that it is what it is. Again, this is all perceptions of outer beauty. I have known blue and blondes whom I would not want to socialize with even a minute.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:16 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,214,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
>>While not white, all of the non-European models have a skin tone with a very "Western" sense of acceptability. <<

I have read that on Indian match boards, stating in your profile the you are "fair skinned" is a big plus. I know for a fact that in many third world societies when a new born is described as "so white", it is a statement of rarity or beauty. We have it here too when people talk about porcelain skin. I don't think there is an equivalent descriptor for darker skins. The way I look at it is that it is what it is. Again, this is all perceptions of outer beauty. I have known blue and blondes whom I would not want to socialize with even a minute.
As a south Indian person. I have to admit liking the way white women take care and nourish their bodies.

However, for all other practical purposes in life, Indian women with similar cultural backgrounds seem to work out the best. In the end, its my very own people who I will always comfortable living around and sharing unadulterated personal information with. For me, over a 50+ year period, preservation of cultural and moral values trump all. I could be very good friends with woman of any race. But getting into a relationship with woman of a different race (and having naked sex ). Forget about it.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:36 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I wasn't implying that ALL people think this way. But if I were to give the average American guy the choice between dating an African woman or a European woman (without even seeing pics) most guys would chose European based off of the stereotypes of how each group's perceived attractiveness. However, in actuality the respective women could look like this....

Nigerian

British

Old 06-02-2014, 09:54 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
As a south Indian person. I have to admit liking the way white women take care and nourish their bodies.

However, for all other practical purposes in life, Indian women with similar cultural backgrounds seem to work out the best. In the end, its my very own people who I will always comfortable living around and sharing unadulterated personal information with. For me, over a 50+ year period, preservation of cultural and moral values trump all. I could be very good friends with woman of any race. But getting into a relationship with woman of a different race (and having naked sex ). Forget about it.
Well at least your being honest.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:06 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,214,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Well at least your being honest.
If only my honesty was appreciated in those transit threads, which was my ENTIRE reason for joining City Data .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.