Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:40 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Numerous studies have shown that people are looked up to more and taken more seriously when they wear formal attire. This goes for both men and women.

Dressing formally makes a huge impression in job interviews, client meetings, dates, promotions and other situations. It can make it or break it for people in many instances.

In workplaces, people are more productive and there are less reports of sexual harrassment when they wear formal attire. Even in school, children are better behaved and perform better academically when they wear school uniforms.

So, the question is - Shouldn't people dress up much more often if they are perceived to be more powerful and have a higher status by do so? Who wouldn't want this advantage most of the time?
While I don't doubt that occasionally the underlined is true, I'd imagine it's not true often enough (in a quantifiable fashion) to warrant the pain that it is for most people to wear something that isn't comfortable for them. If every time men wore a suit, they had red carpets rolled out for them, women flocked to them, and their very existence was celebrated...then you'd see suits a lot more often.

That said, I wear suits every day because I like them. They're sharp, and the issue you address in your OP is a very, very small benefit. But they look good, feel good, and I'd be wearing them for my job anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 11:04 AM

5,488 posts, read 3,929,244 times
When I perceive power, I tend to assume corruption, rightly or wrongly. Typically I view the casually attired more favorably than people decked out in BigCityDreamer-approved threads.

This article tells me I should reexamine my preconceptions. However, I'd still argue that those who are most likely to be drawn to power are also more likely to be corrupted by it.

Why Power Corrupts | Science | Smithsonian

Old 05-23-2014, 11:20 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
I'm currently picturing myself under a desk fixing a broken PC, in a 3-piece suit.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:35 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I'm currently picturing myself under a desk fixing a broken PC, in a 3-piece suit.
That was my issue in the lower ranks of IT as well. The common advice was always "dress for the job you want"...but I'd be damned if I was going to be climbing around a ceiling laying cable in a suit! That advice just doesn't fly for everyone.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:46 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
When I was working for IBM, field service techs had a business formal dress code. This means you did indeed see a man (I never saw a female FST) in a suit (usually he took off the jacket at least) stripping down a nasty dusty server under a desk.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:53 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
When I was working for IBM, field service techs had a business formal dress code. This means you did indeed see a man (I never saw a female FST) in a suit (usually he took off the jacket at least) stripping down a nasty dusty server under a desk.
And look where IBM is now...downsizing because they didn't have a corporate culture that could keep up with the times.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:43 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Because they're expensive, hot, and wearing a tie is uncomfortable. I own one suit, and that's reserved for funerals and job interviews. Otherwise, I avoid wearing a suit at all costs. I hate them and don't find men in suits to be attractive.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:53 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,041 times
Sorry... but I'm not wearing a suit unless it's necessary.

My job doesn't require that I wear a suit... so I'm not going to... as others have said.. they're not cheap and it's definitely less comfortable, especially for me.

I'll wear a suit for weddings.. or important meetings and events at my job... of course job interviews are a must.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:56 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
1. They're expensive

2. They're uncomfortable

3. They require a lot of maintenance

4. They're too hot in the summer.
And add to that, non-tax-deductible, by some perverse twist of IRS "logic" that defines them as "adaptable to general wear".

If your job creates an expectation that you will spend $2000 per year on the cost and upkeep of unnecessary clothing, and 33% of your pay goes for taxes of one kind or another, that policy is amounts to a $3000 cut in pay.

Non Compos Mentis?

Old 05-23-2014, 01:26 PM

834 posts, read 1,218,079 times
To go out in a well made suit one gets better tables, more courtesy, and gets asked for directions or the time more often. Women perceive you as having a salaried job, your own place to live, maintaining basic body hygiene, and being straight.

Certain body flaws (i.e. narrow shoulders, short torso, big behind) can be much better camouflaged by a well tailored suit than jeans or shorts. A man appears taller, more important in a suit. A face that may appear creepy in casual wear, has 'character' in a well done suit ( think Christopher Walken, John Malkovich, 'Reservoir Dogs' ). It takes a lot of social energy to fight uphill when dressed too casual. It is much easier to talk yourself down to a casual level when dressed authoritative.

Good ( not cheap, ill fitting) suits mean easier sex. More power. Faster results. It doesn't guarantee it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty