Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 06:02 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,283,745 times

Advertisements

Okay, I did not know where to post this, but this forum seems like the right one... I came across this today:

Dallas company uses laser to create sought-after

I don't mean this in a crude way, but in all my years, I've never known there was even a term for this, or that women strived for it. I've noticed it of course, but I always accepted that some have it, some don't, and was a matter of genetics just as women have varying cup sizes. But I will admit, it has always been seductive, 'just not something I ever thought of as an item to check off a list, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, this post is about nothing really, 'just wondering how many out there knew this was yet another beauty topic for women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 06:50 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,177,381 times
I think the Chive came up with a name for it and popularized it over the last three to five years or so.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:24 AM

29,537 posts, read 14,693,013 times
Look up bikini bridge...another one to learn...

Old 05-22-2014, 08:54 AM

706 posts, read 1,181,155 times
I knew about thigh gap, but didn't know about this treatment to get it, it's funny because I've always had it and never thought much of it. I just figured it was a combo of genetics and clean eating/training. It's crazy how now it's become this huge "thing" that has gained much controversy over the past few years. It's a trivial thing and nothing I'd ever spend money on to get if I didn't have it naturally already.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I knew about thigh gap, but didn't know about this treatment to get it, it's funny because I've always had it and never thought much of it. I just figured it was a combo of genetics and clean eating/training. It's crazy how now it's become this huge "thing" that has gained much controversy over the past few years. It's a trivial thing and nothing I'd ever spend money on to get if I didn't have it naturally already.
A thigh gap is mostly a function of hip width actually. If course some people are super emancipated and have one but it isn't natural for them.

But if you have narrow hips, you can be very lean and have no hope of a thigh gap. Case in point: Lolo Jones. Obviously she doesn't have anything to spare, yet her thighs touch. You can also be bigger and have a gap if you have wide hips.

As someone who has always appreciated the legs of sprinters and cyclists I don't get it.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:38 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,241,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Look up bikini bridge...another one to learn...
I'd never heard the term but when I read it I knew exactly what it meant!

Old 05-22-2014, 10:56 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,570,798 times
Just one more overtly sexual way to measure women. And don't get me wrong: I've been known to objectify women, but as I've gotten older, it just gets sillier and more damaging to people's opinions of themselves. Add to it, I'm a father to 2 young girls, so it seems more and more disrespectful now to me.

Shoe is now on my other foot in life.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:03 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,181,230 times
Pffft, I had this when I was in HS and still tiny, and back then it earned me the 'compliment' of being called bird legs. Funny how things change.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:08 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,687,887 times
I had never heard the term till about a year ago, but it's something I try to maintain while working out. Has nothing to do with standards set by the media, fashion industry, or anyone else, though. Even when people don't have a thigh gap, I never notice it and think it looks bad because it doesn't. I personally believe a person can be in great shape but genetically just not able to have a thigh gap. No big deal.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:15 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,279,940 times
I've noticed lately that young girls seem to be going to extremes to have thigh gap. Not just starving themselves, but also walking bow-legged. I was behind a gaggle of girls at the mall recently, and noticed that a couple of them were walking funny. It took me a while, but I realized that they were trying to make sure their thighs didn't touch.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty