Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:02 AM

3,338 posts, read 2,141,544 times

Advertisements

Where I live, it's older women and obese women wearing obnoxious amounts of floral scented perfume. Also can't leave out the over-30 professional men drowning in some sort of musk, nor the under-25 men who soak themselves with Axe or Old Spice body spray. Then again, I've encountered just as many folks who in general smelled as though they've not bathed nor done laundry for an extended period of time. Just can't win sometimes, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 10:34 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,300,531 times
If perfume vapors were given the same scrutiny as some tobacco products, many types of perfume would be illegal. I have a close friend who develops analytical tools for vapor analysis, and one of his best instruments is a portable GC/Mass Spectrometer (you may recognize the name from the forensic crime dramas)

He agreed to let my students use his instrument for their personal projects to analyze the content of some everyday vapors that they said gave them headaches. Some of the things they sampled were the plug-in air fresheners, aerosol air fresheners, scented candles, several perfumes, the headspace of our solvent cabinets, and sewer gas.

There were all kinds of aromatic compounds, many of them suspected carcinogens, in nearly every sample. The vapor above a burning scented candle was particularly nasty, and some of the perfumes contained more carcinogenic solvents than the headspace of our solvent cabinets where such compounds were stored! We paid specific attention to the simple phenol derivatives (phenol, benzaldehyde, etc) because we had standards for those, and the levels were often many times above the industrial exposure limits.

I am not trying to be alarmist, but I do see many parallels between cigarette smoke and perfume.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
There two logics I can think of:

Mask bad smells like bathing or cigarettes.

Because they don't realize they put on too much because they are use to the sent they use.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:17 PM

558 posts, read 1,121,219 times
I actually like woman with lots of perfume.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:18 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
I can't stand a server wearing strong perfume. Rarely goes well with what I'm eating. My sweetie doesn't like strong perfume at all. If he tucks his nose into my neck he can smell what I'm wearing. No one else can.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by factoryrat View Post
Why do women, especially older women, bathe in perfume? You can smell them three aisles away in the grocery store. How do they stand the smell? Do their noses get used to it and they no longer notice it?
The reason I notice and object is that I am highly allergic to perfume. If I pop around a corner to another aisle and encounter one of these perfume wearers it's instant headache. It's like someone jammed pencils up my nostrils. My sinuses get plugged up and often the headache, a dizzying type, can last for hours. One receptionist at the doctors uses so much one is forced to stand back from the counter to avoid her.
Why should I and others suffer because someone perhaps doesn't bother to shower? It's not fair - I don't inflict pain upon others.
How on earth do you stand the laundry aisle at the grocery store. I am not sensitive to smells at all and I ALWAYS get a headache when I am anywhere near there.

20yrsinbranson

Old 03-14-2014, 10:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
How on earth do you stand the laundry aisle at the grocery store. I am not sensitive to smells at all and I ALWAYS get a headache when I am anywhere near there.

20yrsinbranson
Me too! I hate to go down that aisle for the smells. And I'm not allergic either.

It seems that wearing fragrances has fallen out of fashion. I use scented soaps and scented deodorant, and even that probably bothers some people. I figure it's my compromise. I like my clothes to smell of bounce fabric softener, too :-)

But, I agree, a little goes a long way.

However....I love the smell of men's CK One cologne. Sexy! Add the smell of a cigar to CK One, and I swoon... Funny how smells are different for different generations. Old spice and cigars is what men smelled like when i was growing up. I still like the smell of cigars on a man, but CK One smells better to me than Old Spice :-)

Old 03-15-2014, 04:15 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
perhaps its like a political talk show..but not verbally- a war of aromas

one person will mask/immerse themselves in their own stench so as not to smell the offensive aroma of others,,,but in doing so, you perpetuate what you claim offends you

you go back 4-5 generations,,most people smelled like cow and horse-shyt,(growing up on a farm and not bathing much) and used an outhouse..

people targeted june weddings so they'd be flowers out to mask the smell of the guests- if not the bride and groom..

some folks do use too much perfume or cologne,,, but its just the way it is..
i worked in a slaughterhouse and fishing boat... had some very putrid aromas....these perfume smells dont offend me as much

Old 03-15-2014, 07:57 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
I too hate strong perfumes, laundry soap aisle, chemical smells. I think the problem with perfumes is the unnatural chemicals. I was not wearing any scented products at all until I discovered natural (aromatherapy) essential oils, and now I wear a couple drops of that. I do NOT soak myself in it, however, since I like to keep the scent light and fresh, you cannot smell me coming a mile away, LOL

Old 03-15-2014, 08:53 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Because they don't realize they put on too much because they are use to the sent they use.
That's definitely true. Your brain filters out the smell of your shampoo or laundry detergent or perfume when you wear it often. Because of that, people tend to over-apply scent because they mistakenly think that if they can't smell it, it's not working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty