Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 04:03 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,590,215 times

Advertisements

Lately I've been reading about image consultants or "style coaches" who can be hired out to help you go shopping and pick the perfect outfit for your body type, skin color, personality, etc. I think hiring one of these people could benefit me tremendously, but I wonder if I can afford it. The services I've looked over are a few hundred dollars per hour; that's not including the clothes. I'm insatiably curious about this service and I would like to engage in some old-fashioned female bonding with my coach, so I would like to try to have it done. Is it worth the money, though? Is there a less expensive alternative?

If there is a less expensive alternative, could you name some companies, prices, and the types of work they do? I would probably need a stylist / image consultant / style coach who is willing to travel or do some things online since, to my knowledge, I do not live in a place where image consultants work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 04:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,680,203 times
Why not just enlist a friend with good taste? I take my sister if I want straight talk on what does and doesn't look good.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:48 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,590,215 times
Great. Well, that would work if I knew anyone, but I don't. My friends could care less about looking good. I used to have that philosophy, but my job won't really allow me to. I work as a sub and do not yet have a reputation of any kind at the schools. It's to my advantage to have a good professional appearance, and since my appearance is less than stellar, and people have told me this on occasion, I think it would be wise if I did something about it.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:10 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,620,938 times
The major department stores have shoppers who will do exactly what you want. Of course, they'll only pick from their store's inventory, but the information they give and the styles they pick will help you learn what to pick when you aren't out shopping with them. They don't get paid by the hour by the customer but do get commission on the clothes you purchase from the store. Nordstrom, in particular, is a good store to use for this.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:18 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,620,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Great. Well, that would work if I knew anyone, but I don't. My friends could care less about looking good. I used to have that philosophy, but my job won't really allow me to. I work as a sub and do not yet have a reputation of any kind at the schools. It's to my advantage to have a good professional appearance, and since my appearance is less than stellar, and people have told me this on occasion, I think it would be wise if I did something about it.
Okay, I did not read this post closely. Since you're not in a metro area, then simple, classic styles work well for teaching and you can find reasonably priced pieces that will wear very well. Trousers, not jeans or leggings; skirts that are knee length or mid-calf, knit tops (v-neck tees, not cut too low or tight) in a solid color with a flyaway cardigan over top, or a blazer, and you're good. JC Penney, Dress Barn, LL Bean catalog are your friend. Invest in shoes that are flat and EXTEMELY well cushioned -- you'll be standing on concrete all day and these will save your knees and back.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:19 AM

38 posts, read 41,563 times
Default Image

Didn't you watch Stacy and Clinton on "What Not to Wear?" It just went off the air, but they do have books out. Check one out from your library. Also, stores like Nordstrom have people who will work with you, but their clothes are not exactly budget friendly.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:03 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,904,343 times
Look online at landsend.com for classic clothes that don't go out of style. Look at yourself in the mirror. Hold up something black, something brown, and something off-white. Unless you have a darker or yellow tone, they will probably look OK.

The web site will show tops and bottoms together so you can get some ideas. It's hard to go wrong with a black skirt or pants and a black or white or black&white top or sweater. If brown looks OK on you, get a brown/beige/ taupe combo.

Then add on as you go. Good luck.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-06-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 03-05-2014, 11:14 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,029,312 times
I would only hire somebody if I would be easily able to afford it.

If not, go into a store you like. Find a nicely dressed sales person who looks like she has good taste and let her pick you something out.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:24 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,904,287 times
I've heard of image consultants who consult online and consultants whose prices are reasonable. No particular names to share, but Association of Image Consultants International has a listing of image consultants. I think it's mostly American, which I assume is the right country.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:25 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,962,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swestey View Post
Didn't you watch Stacy and Clinton on "What Not to Wear?" It just went off the air, but they do have books out. Check one out from your library. Also, stores like Nordstrom have people who will work with you, but their clothes are not exactly budget friendly.
No lies told! I was about to say Stacy & Clinton. Then you'll see its basically 10 rules or so

1) Wear pointy shoes to make you look taller. I can't say I follow this as I hate pointy shoes
2) V neck dresses
3) Clinched waist line for curves
4) Straight jeans with fitted jackets
5) Wear heels for a clean taller look
6) Clinching blouse just below breasts makes you look taller
7) Wear pants longer than your legs, that is hit the heel to make you look taller,
8) Ankle strap shoes & shorter pants make you look shorter. I also dont follow this as I wear shoes I like
9) & 10...Cant remember but if you watch that show three times you are good for life. After that its all repitition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty