Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 04:59 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,472,845 times

Advertisements

it all goes to GOODWILL ,

I heard a lot of the clothing donated to charity goes overseas to third world countries, so a lot of it ends up back where it came from
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 05:02 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,241,529 times
If the lower arm end of my long sleeve T shirt is torn, then I convert it into a short sleeve T shirt.

If the tear is near the upper arm end or armpit. I would convert it into sleeveless sleepwear for summertime. But Ma throws them away so my most liked long sleeved t shirts in good condition have become rags thanks to minor sleeve tears.

Women who have small tears on long sleeved apparel can convert it into a sleeveless top. But you need a sewing machine for fine material.

There are lots of interesting DIY's one can do with their old clothes. But most tutorials are done by kids.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-13-2014 at 05:11 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 05:48 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,241,529 times
A cute DIY for chic's with old T shirts :

Make Your Own Muscle Tee! (Brandy Melville DIY) - YouTube

Old 01-13-2014, 06:24 PM

35,780 posts, read 21,152,282 times
Donate donate donate,, I have clothes is Cuba, Haiti, Santo Domingo, and India! that I know off

Old 01-13-2014, 07:02 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,330,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegold View Post
Depends. If they were impulse buys () that I have never gotten any use out of then I might try to sell them on Ebay. Otherwise it all goes to the Salvation Army.
This and I do so as well...Salvation Army is my go to place to donate clothing and shoes in decent condition as well as money during disasters and Christmas time. As far as household items such as furniture, kitchen appliances in good working order, utensils and cookware I make every effort to donate that to places that will use those goods to help battered women, seniors, and people in recovery with a fresh start. Typically the organization will also come to your home to pick up those household goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
it all goes to GOODWILL , I heard a lot of the clothing donated to charity goes overseas to third world countries, so a lot of it ends up back where it came from
Interesting as I have also heard this myself over the years and it is to some extent, true.

A World Hungry for Used Clothing

Donated items benefit those less privileged but first they will travel on an international journey that leads across oceans to places across the globe.

What Happens to your Clothing Donation? - Planet Aid

Most secondhand clothing donated in the United States will be exported to another country. In fact, used textiles rank as the eighth-largest U.S. export (see this map illustrating the trade flow).

A World Hungry for Used Clothing - Planet Aid

And then...there's this but it makes a great deal of sense.

Please Don’t Send Your Old Shoes to the Philippines

How to help Typhoon Haiyan survivors in the Philippines: The only donation you should make is money.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:18 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,518,334 times
goodwill

Old 01-14-2014, 05:42 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,167,920 times
Is the clothing item I no longer want isn't old and it's still in excellent condition it gets sold on eBay. Depending on where one lives, selling in a garage sale is an option, too. If the item is outdated and/or is in decent, wearable condition, I donate it to Goodwill. I recently shipped several items to a niece who wears the size I used to and isn't picky about color and style. Only stained, damaged clothing gets thrown away.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:26 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,906,771 times
I basically hoard it in or around my closet. I'm too lazy to research donations, and I'm kind of opposed to the buying and selling of used clothing. Only non-sentimental items like torn regular socks might get thrown out.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:40 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,696,617 times
What's considered out of style? I'd recycle the clothes somehow. If clothes are torn or are somewhat damaged, I make them into rags or keep segments and make hair accessories. If I don't like it, I donate it.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:46 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,467,415 times
I give to family or donate. If I put a sack of clothing out in an open area of the house, the cleaning lady will probably ask if it's something I'm giving away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty