Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:01 AM

95 posts, read 110,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You're welcome to wear what you want, but I agree that that diminutive brim makes it look kind of girly.
Yes, I could wear what I want but I prefer to take into consideration other people's opinions I can trust. If many of them say the hat is pretty girly I'm not going to buy it.

Is there a tacit rule that small visors are for women while big ones are for men?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It looks great in its own right. The drawback is it doesn't have ear flaps like trapper hats do. It matters if it is really cold outside. Another thing it looks way too formal and respectable. It means I won't be able to match it with my other clothes and shoes items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Men wear bow ties, don't they?

That bow on the top has a purpose. Those strings are needed to hold the flaps in place when you don't need them down. If you think the bow looks too feminine, just knot it and tuck the strings in. The design of that hat is like a winter rider's cap that one would buy at an equestrian store (they have small brims like that, on the men's version as well as the women's). But the real ones of those are designed to fit over riding helmets, so this is obviously a fashion version.
Very useful paragraph! I guess I'm going to google some rider's caps. It was also nice to hear something in defense of a bow.

I agree with you on that. They all look manly. However...

The first hat. Defininitely no. It is just a usual hat covered with earflaps. Strange combination in my opinion.

The second one. It would be too cold to wear it during freezing winter months.

The third one. It looks okay to wear with a down-padded coat. However, it doesn't match a brown sheepskin coat I'm going to wear.

The fourth one. Usual trapper. I hope I'll find some alternative as trapper hats looks too rough for my money. Besides, I need it to be brown.

Quote:
A classic deer stalker hat (like the one worn by Sherlock Holmes) has ear flaps and a brim in the back, too, to shield the neck. I can't say, though, I've seen one with fur ear flaps. They are usually made of a menswear wool fabric or suede, which if lined could also be warm. If you're still googling for options, try that term, also "trooper" hat and "trapper" hat. Those styles are others with ear flaps.
I don't like the brim in the back of the deerstalker hats. These hats are also too cold. They are good for fall or spring seasons, not snowy winters.

Quote:
BTW, I think it's wonderful there's a hat model called the "Gorbachev"!
Lol I assume you mean an ambassador hat jackmccullough has mentioned before.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:36 PM

33 posts, read 82,573 times
Look at here: Shearling Baseball Cap
I used the google image to search the picture and get this page.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claystevens View Post
Look at here: Shearling Baseball Cap
I used the google image to search the picture and get this page.
Yes, I had seen it on the site you searched. They say it is unisex. This is what bothers me.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:48 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,540 times
Looks a bit girly. Happy Hunting...

Old 01-05-2014, 06:23 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Just wait until Feb when the Olympics begin in Russia. I have a feeling those Russian style fur hats are going to be the big fashion rage of the Olympics. Watch and see.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 711 times
Hello!!
This hat is so cute but I think it is better for a woman. On the other hand, I don't know brands that manufacture similar hats. You can still see on the private sales fur where you have strong chance to find a hat like this.

[url]http://www.fourrure-privee.com/en/[/url]

Last edited by jrich22; 06-01-2014 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-01-2014, 03:51 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
These are also called "aviator hats" and sometimes "bomber hats", if that helps you broaden your search.

Ugg Australia sells shearling versions. Canada Goose sells a version that has a down-filled nylon cap lined with fur. Overland is another company that makes sheepskin versions. Pendleton has nice cloth/fur versions.

I think it's a great unisex hat, it look great on either men or women. And it's probably the most practical hat money can buy if you live in a horribly cold climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty