Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:02 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,699,029 times

Advertisements

It's the same as calling a woman chubby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 10:38 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,217,975 times
I did not mind being called chubby as a 7 year old boy, and at that time you can consider it as cute. However, in your early 20s "chubby" means unfit, sluggish, overweight, and so on. Calling a guy hefty or husky would be much more age appropriate. I know that my body shape is fat. But calling me chubby brings in feelings like childishness, which I do not appreciate at this mature age.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:26 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,178,000 times
I don't think "chubby" falls into the same category as things I was called as a child, like "beanpole" and "toothpick." Chubby just means a few extra pounds. It isn't a derogatory comparison to an extremely-shaped tangible item that clearly no one really resembles, the way those slurs are. I didn't mind being called "slender" or "thin" because those were accurate depictions of my body type.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:39 PM

830 posts, read 1,667,214 times
I do not agree. It doesn't mean I would just call him chubby whenever I felt like; if it seems like he's sensitive about it then I wouldn't bring it up. It's a descriptor, not an insult like "fat slob" would be.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:40 PM

5,053 posts, read 6,351,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
It is an insult. It is best to say "big guy". They like that better.
Big, fat, chubby guy?

Old 12-28-2013, 12:45 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Do you have details on your oats diet?
i posted it in another thread but in its purest form, its incredibly simple. 3 meals a day of the same exact thing. oatmeal made with 1 cup rolled oats, 2 splenda packets, little cinnamon, splash milk. no snacks, nothing outside of the meal except a protein drink made with 1 scoop (about 30 grams) of powder and water & you can throw in some veggies made without any fat if you like. that diet will keep you full and cause fast weight loss.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:49 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
You need to work out your whole body, not just the upper body, or else you won't look in balance.
for the most part, nobody will notice if your lower body is less developed than your upper body. i work my full body, i go to the gym 5 days a week so i need to work everything to fill up 5 workouts. but in reality, upper body is going to matter more when it comes to appearance. lets be realistic, 1. how often are people able to see your legs? 2. in those few times when people see your legs, how often will they even notice them? my legs get pretty big when im trying to put on some muscle mass but only my wife notices and if they didnt get big she wouldnt notice that either.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:06 PM

107 posts, read 164,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
In my opinion, calling a guy "chubby" is equivalent to indirectly criticizing him for being a fat slob (I call this veiled insulting). It implies that he has little to no attention towards physical fitness. What are your thoughts. Do you also feel that calling a guy "chubby" indicates something unattractive about his physique.

For the Record, I always HATED being called chubby. But it is the bitter truth.

Not at all ~ you can even go with 'tubby'!

Old 12-28-2013, 04:51 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,217,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It's the same as calling a woman chubby.
No its not. Expectations for both genders are entirely different.

Men like a little meat on women, while women want all out ripped tough muscle all over on men. Fat on men is a turn off for most.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
No its not. Expectations for both genders are entirely different.

Men like a little meat on women, while women want all out ripped tough muscle all over on men. Fat on men is a turn off for most.
Different men and women want different things. Some men like slim girls while others like curvy girls. Some women might want muscular guys while others want slim guys. You cannot generalize it.

Many, like myself, like variety. I go from slim girls to slightly curvy girls depending on my mood. I'm glad there's so many different types to choose from. How boring would it be if you only had a single choice?

I keep it simple. If someone is overweight, I use the term "overweight". Same goes for "underweight", "obese", etc. No need for chubby, fat, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty