Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 10:28 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,912,246 times

Advertisements

Everybody is stereotyped. Every person, every ethnicity, every culture, every country, every religion, everybody. If you start watching Family Guy you'll realize that.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:29 PM

13,466 posts, read 15,676,808 times
Nyanna returns... I wonder if this poster is actually black

Old 12-19-2013, 03:06 AM

9,026 posts, read 13,962,254 times
ydroquinone 10%,vit c 5000mg orally/day,glucothione,retin a,are all things you can do to lighten your skin. You must be vigilant with suncscreen however.
Many people have lightened up by bleaching.

Skincaretalk...I think I said this already.

See Mshoza

Old 12-19-2013, 05:28 AM

28,796 posts, read 19,132,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Nyanna returns... I wonder if this poster is actually black
Really doesn't matter, except that it appears in a general-audience forum. This issue comes up in black-oriented forums as well. It's not secret what the media standards of beauty are. How often do you see someone like Alek Wek in an American fashion spread not painted like a clown? You might see her in her natural beauty in a spread intended for the foreign market, but not often will you see her shown naturally in the American market.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:49 AM

18,247 posts, read 22,671,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Really doesn't matter, except that it appears in a general-audience forum. This issue comes up in black-oriented forums as well. It's not secret what the media standards of beauty are. How often do you see someone like Alek Wek in an American fashion spread not painted like a clown? You might see her in her natural beauty in a spread intended for the foreign market, but not often will you see her shown naturally in the American market.
Alek Wek is beautiful but her skin coloring is not typical of the average African American.

Also, the average African American does not have "color" issues despite the ramblings on various forums. The individuals on the extreme fringe tend to sqwauk the loudest and garner the most attention but the issue does not consume the daily/weekly/monthly thoughts of the average African American.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:24 AM

28,796 posts, read 19,132,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Alek Wek is beautiful but her skin coloring is not typical of the average African American.

Also, the average African American does not have "color" issues despite the ramblings on various forums. The individuals on the extreme fringe tend to sqwauk the loudest and garner the most attention but the issue does not consume the daily/weekly/monthly thoughts of the average African American.
Well, okay. I see what you're doiing.

We'll leave this discussion for more appropriate forums.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:10 AM

15,721 posts, read 10,555,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoonpie View Post
As long as the media pushes images of women who are lightskinned, white or mixed down my throat. I will never ever be happy. I'll always feel unhappy and incomplete. I always dream of a day that I can wake up and see nothing but positive images of women who are darkskinned and fully black like me. Or hear men say they prefer a darkskinned blk woman. I'd be so happy and wouldn't have all this anger inside. But that will never happen
Are you able to run, eat solid food, go to the bathroom by yourself, move all your arms and legs, listen to music, see a beautiful sunset? Are you pain free? If so, you have much to be grateful for, bluemoonpie.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:03 AM

13,466 posts, read 15,676,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't know if it "matters", but this poster is clearly a troll poster who likes to s***-stir. And yeah, of course colorism exists. But most of the Black women that I know of are far stronger and would find her posts downright insulting.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:39 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,666,978 times
The OP seems to be obsessed by some arbitrary standard of beauty that is telling her what is beautiful or not. I suppose that if that same standard said that only a Horse's azz was desirable than she would be devastated that she looked nothing like said azz. It pathetic to the extreme to be so weak minded that everything important to you is decided by others.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:19 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,988,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1988 View Post
I'm afraid you're very unlikely to ever be happy, then.

Light skin is generally considered to be an attractive trait for a lot of reasons. For one thing, it implied that you were wealthy enough that you didn't have to work outdoors. ....

...until having tanned skin implied that you were wealthy enough to be able to take vacations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty