Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 06:08 PM

615 posts, read 1,392,874 times

Advertisements

If someone you know has suggested a name that he/she thought was "original", guess what? It's likely already overused, and you'll be behind the parade.

My parents give my sister, born in 1971, a beautifully "unusual" name - Jennifer! (LOL)

While so many names people think as "overused", will actually be seen as "original" by a child's peers, so I think names like Amy, Corinne, Karen, Deborah (Debbie), Molly, Susan (girls), William, Matthew, Daniel, Alan and Brian (boys) are neat. They'll stand out in a classroom full of Maddisyns and Skyrons.

Turn-offs to me are "money" and "power" names that unsophisticated mothers give their babies in the hope the name will make the child appear to be sophisticated. When I see a little girl named "Taylor", I think "Trailer". Boys' names that are made to sound like Old West outlaws (Chase, Chance, Atkinson) turn me off as well.

One other thing - keep it simple. Amy is a great name, but if you name your daughter "Eighmeah", she will not go through life as "Amy", she will tell people her name is "ee- aye-gee-aytch-em-ee-ay-aytch"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 06:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
When you worry about giving a kid an "old person" sounding name like Beatrice, George, etc. because that's what the grandparents of your memory were named, don't forget that any babies born today won't have grandparents with those names...the "grandparent" names for them will be Baby Boomer-era and younger fashionable names, not the "Greatest Generation's" Pearls and Maudes and Ethels.

Grandmas now are largely of my mom's generation...lots of Grandma Patricias, Grandma Sharons, Grandma Jeans, Grandma Susans, Grandma Lindas, Grandma Mary Annes, etc. floating around out there. For today's babies, THOSE will be the "Granny" names.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:27 PM

17 posts, read 21,813 times
I am not the biggest fan of some of the too-trendy names like Madison and Addison and Kaylee. Madelyn irritates me, but Madeline, does not. Another peeve of mine is people who name their children something with matching first and last name syllables. Like one syllable first name and one syllable last name. For whatever reason, names sound so much better when they differ in syllables from first to last.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:13 PM

221 posts, read 380,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
For girls, McKenzie is by far the worst IMO. Hope, Destiny, Faith, Quinn, Molly, Claire, Madeleine, Katelyn, Abigail, Jenna, Heather, Cathy, Caitlyn, Hannah, Grace, Demi, Katie, Chloe, Gertrude, Margot, Olga, Bertha, Bridget, and anything that ends in -lynn.

For guys, Caleb is the worst, followed by Jayden, Brayden, Ayden, Caden, Sladen, Kaden, Rayden, Skyler, Tanner, and Logan.

On the flip side, I think Penelope, Sofia, Olivia, Sveta, Yesenia, Yelena, Yasmin, Yardenia, Izabela, Natalia, Kseniya, Graciela, Consuela, Marisol, Soledad, and Ariana are beautiful names.

For guys, I love names Maksim, Andrei, Ismael, Tyshawn, Aleksei, Salvador, Miguel, Bautista, Cristobal, Volodya, Vitaly, Fernando, Yaroslav, Miroslav, Nikolai, Gabriel, and Andres.
My maternal grandmother's name was Hortencia. I never knew her, but I'm sorry, what an awful name. Thank God my parents did not give it to me. I can just picture everyone calling me H-ore as a joke. 'Hey H-ore!' 'That's my little H-ore.'

Old 11-19-2013, 07:15 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,704,794 times
joyce, norma, sharon,patricia, josephine and barbara
bruce, mark, scott, travis, trevor and allen

Old 11-19-2013, 07:53 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My baby boomer mom had about a zillion Lindas as classmates, but it's def not common now.
All my school chums in the early 60s were named Cathy, Linda, Susan, Karen, Donna, Debbie and Patty. I also know a lot of Pams, Beths, Robins and Judys.

And we all named our boys Jason, Joshua, Jeremy, Justin, Michael, and Brandon; we named our girls Jessica, Amanda, Brittany, Sarah, Ashley and Lauren.

Jessica and Amanda, especially, were considered old-fashioned names when I was a kid.

Me ... If I'd have had boys, I would have named them Michael and Matthew; girls I would have named Nora and Elizabeth.

I don't like names that are deliberately misspelled to be "unique" -- those poor kids are going to have to spell their names for everyone for the rest of their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Disagree IMO Karen is a sexy name so is Linda, Sharon is outdated auntish like not granny like Margaret
Yet all those names were popular in the 40s and 50s ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I don't like really old-fashioned names like Viola, Myrtle, Hedwige, Ernestine, Bertha, Uma, Hortense, Beatrice, Millicent, Eunice, Amelia, Gertrude, Hildegarde, Lorna, Henrietta, Ursula, Brunhilda.
Oh, wow, Millicent and Amelia are beautiful names. They're both so elegant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggertoes View Post
I work in a rather urban part of town, and I find some names to be just ridiculous. Messiah, Queen, and Princess ...really?
I know a Baroness.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:35 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,236,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Very weird post I have no idea where you are from? But I like more the names you hate as opposed to the ones you love.
me too!

Old 11-19-2013, 09:00 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,030,540 times
The names for boys Chad and Jeremy became very popular after the British duo Chad and Jeremy came to America in the mid 60's. The future baby boomer parents named their sons after these guys. Prior to that, I never heard those names over here-probably a rarity at best.

Here are names I'm not fond of
Percy (except Sledge)
Clyde
Virgil
Homer
Gregory
Zachary

Girls names I'm not crazy about
Theresa
Phyllis
Rosemary
Bessie
Mamie
Delores
Lola
anything that should be a man's name or a surname. Why use those when there are plenty of beautiful girls names?

Bessie and Mamie are very old names both were my Grandmothers' names. Although I loved my grandmothers, well the names , hmmm.....

Last edited by hdwell; 11-19-2013 at 09:09 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 09:22 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,553,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
When you worry about giving a kid an "old person" sounding name like Beatrice, George, etc. because that's what the grandparents of your memory were named, don't forget that any babies born today won't have grandparents with those names....
..think about all the Grandpa Jasons and Grandpa Zacks that will be out there in 30-40 years!

(I personally find the idea of an old man named Jason strange for some reason... it just makes me think of a 20-something, not a guy in his 70's)

Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 PM

91 posts, read 232,523 times
Dana
Charles
Peter
Mischa
Derrick
Dakota
Noah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty