Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 12:55 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,178,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I merely brought up some very common misconceptions about the Bible. It does speak about clothing as well.

1 Timothy 2:9 "likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire"
As long as religious people regularly violate the verse in Leviticus that prohibits wearing clothes of mixed fibers by wearing cotton polyester, I don't understand why they would adhere to this verse, either.

The Bible condones all sorts of horrible things like slavery, incest, rape, and murder, so why would one let it dictate one's clothing choices??? Sounds to me like the OP is either a troll or has led an amazingly sheltered life if he's never seen women in public wearing yoga pants. I see that every time I go to the grocery store!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 05:52 AM

645 posts, read 1,276,627 times
I've trolled about at born again events in Christian churches. I did this during my middle 30s when I put a lot of effort into getting women. Despite being Catholic and loathing the way born agains treated me, I always held a special attachment to the born again Christian scene because these devout Christian women were always the easiest to bed, and it mattered little if they were married or had boyfriends. What percentage of them were like this? I have no clue, but the few places I went, one was Hispanic and the others were suburban white, had the largest concentration of "sinners" I've ever met during my entire life.

I don't find it at all shocking that the topic starter found questionable Christians. The ones I've seen were almost always an overzealous lot full of hypocrites. Since I had no exposure to them until I was in my 30s, I too was quite surprised at first when my Puerto Rican roommate suggested we go to the born again Hispanic center to pick up girls. If you think being Catholic and born again or "Christian" are the same, it's not in my local. Christians and born agains often attacked me for being a sinning Catholic because of how we "worship Mary, and saints."

While it's only my opinion, it seems to be the curse of oppressive religion, rules, and laws. It seems to cause backlash as people rebel against it. Since sexuality is natural and many religious institutions teach it as being bad, their denouncing of it seems to cause more promiscuous behavior than it stops. Look at though on crime laws in 'Merika and how strict the drinking laws are in 'Merika. We as a nation have far more problems with the two latter points I brought up when compared to other nations equally as developed as we are.

Those were my experiences.

cheers,
bolillo

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 11-06-2013 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here

Old 11-06-2013, 06:19 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,933,408 times
The bible speaks of those whom do sin but does not condone sin.
As for cultural guidelines they were not moral law concerning clothing.
As for carnal christians whom abuse them selves with mankind ,If they have any kind of relationship at al they are compromising that and their own future.
People claim a lot of things with in their faith , proof is in the lifestyle. Those whom compromise with sin compromise their own soul.
Some folk come to faith with out repenting ,more like they are including faith with their lifestyle as a cultural clothing to fit in some where. Or they were brought up in some faith not actually coming to a point of conversion in their heart ,no desperation to have God's approval . Pretty much taking things for granted especially forgiveness.
Forgiveness is not automatic , It must be asked for honestly ,not superficially, God knows the heart.
Many assume God's forgiveness with out forgiving one another and it doesn't work that way.
Know what Jesus taught, He is the one Christians are accountable to in the end ,not the church nor some prophet or teacher. Hypocrisy is not only in church, but in the world as well, men taking an oath of office and then betraying the very document they swore to protect and defend .
or people deceiving one another dating providing an illusion of wealth and they are not wealthy at all.
Look deeply into a mirror ,likely you will see some hypocrisy there as well.
Like people that start arguments simply to start arguments ,not really caring about the truth at all.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:29 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,764,037 times
Sexuality is way older and stronger than any religion. Everyone wants to be attractive to the other (and in some cases same) sex, no matter where as one's future spouse might be anywhere.
In Islam it is a bit different, mostly because there is oppression and because in many Muslim countries men and women don't mix in public anyway, not to mention that one's husband or wife is often chosen by the parents.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:41 AM

671 posts, read 855,070 times
OP, I think that you posted in the wrong forum.

Don't be intimidated by the responses. I also agree that religious men and women should dress more appropriately. Everyone has a different definition for this even among Jews and Muslims so I am not surprised that some Christians are more conservative and others are more Liberal. Try to find a conservative congregation to attend even if you have a long drive. Even if you are not looking for a girlfriend, you don't need to be around women like that if they make you feel uncomfortable.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:55 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,779,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
As long as religious people regularly violate the verse in Leviticus that prohibits wearing clothes of mixed fibers by wearing cotton polyester, I don't understand why they would adhere to this verse, either.

The Bible condones all sorts of horrible things like slavery, incest, rape, and murder, so why would one let it dictate one's clothing choices??? Sounds to me like the OP is either a troll or has led an amazingly sheltered life if he's never seen women in public wearing yoga pants. I see that every time I go to the grocery store!
Sounds like you're clueless about the Bible. That being the case, you are not qualified to respond to the OP. OP, please do ignore this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sexuality is way older and stronger than any religion. Everyone wants to be attractive to the other (and in some cases same) sex, no matter where as one's future spouse might be anywhere.
In Islam it is a bit different, mostly because there is oppression and because in many Muslim countries men and women don't mix in public anyway, not to mention that one's husband or wife is often chosen by the parents.
Evidently, what would be attractive to this young man (the OP) is a woman who dresses modestly and isn't showing her female parts to the rest of the world. There's a reason why women in Islam are required to dress modestly - it's so that they aren't tantalizing other men, and tempting them to sin, by revealing their erotic parts / form for all mankind to see. The fact that Muslims reproduce means that there is obviously a good bit of sex going on between married Muslims. Within a marriage, a man and woman can turn each other on as much as they darn well please.

I think Christians could learn much from the Muslims on this one... or, perhaps, to make it a bit closer to home, from the Amish and Mennonites. Modest dress is meant to reduce sexual temptation, which is one of the strongest temptations known to man. (Doubt that? Check the percentage of people who have had sex with someone to whom they weren't married... or even who fooled around sexually with someone to whom they weren't married even if it didn't go as far as intercourse. Compare that to the percentage of people who have done anything else of a tempting nature - such as drugs, drinking, smoking, etc. I'd bet that the only temptation that comes anywhere near the "immoral sexuality" percentage is drinking.)

The truth is that Christian women should not dress in a way that is provocative. This is determined by their own minds, not by the reaction other people have to them. Let's face it... there are probably men who are turned on the most by seeing a woman dressed conservatively... perhaps because "conquering" such a woman would be a much greater "manly" accomplishment compared to conquering a woman who dresses like a prostitute. That is not the fault of the woman. If she is attempting to dress plainly (and restrain her actions) so as to be minimally provocative to males, she's doing her Christian duty as stated in the Bible.

All of you who are attacking the OP for being varying degrees of non-realistic need to open your Bibles before you open your mouths. You have to play by his rules. He's a Christian man, seeking to live by the Word of God. If you cannot explain how nor why the Word of God actually permits women to wear provocative clothing, then you have no relevant rebuttal to what the OP said and this is one instance where you'd serve best being seen and not heard.

Also, don't forget the verses wherein the Word of God says that if what you do causes a Christian to sin, or even be tempted to sin, then you yourself are sinning at that point even if what you're doing, in a vacuum, would not be a sin. So, if these ladies are wearing clothing which tempts the OP to lust, and aren't doing everything possible to minimize such temptation, then they are sinning even if American society wouldn't consider their attire indecent.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:27 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,764,037 times
I don't share those views. I don't know any religion that promotes dressing provocatively. Thus this does not really have anything to do with Christianity but with the influence of religion on clothing in general.

I am an atheist, I don't see anything negative in sexuality. I prefer to be around Brazilians rather than Amish or Muslims, frankly.
Nor do I think that there is any connection between what a person believes (gods, morals etc.) and how they dress. A Muslim woman hiding her body is in no way any superior to a Western woman wearing revealing clothes.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 AM

809 posts, read 1,274,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
these devout Christian women were always the easiest to bed[/i]

cheers,
bolillo
I wish I had known this a year ago. Bastard!

Old 11-06-2013, 07:47 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,645 times
Who made you the authority and why do you think your opinion matters? If you don't like how they dress than stop staring and carry-on with your life. This is about your dirty mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leco18 View Post
As a guy now in my college frshman year, I'm going to a school that's in the opposite part of the contry as I'm from. My parents suggested that I try to meet people by doing some volunteer things, especially with some church people. So I have. I grew up on the conservative side, and didn't know any religious people growing up. I always thought that Christian girls were sort of the same. But I notice that most of the girls my age at this church, even when representing their church by volunteering, wear these sexy, revealing type clothes like these black yoga pants with uggs and such. I've tried to just not notice or feed their ego, but dressed in those, I turn and I'm always like O...O...O! And then sometimes they give me this poker face that's unreadable. It's really frustrating! I don't think dressing in those like that is right, for doing church stuff, is it? Christian girls dressing like this? Is that Christian-like? I don't think it is!

Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,568,656 times
Hey God used to be fine with complete human nakedness until that sorry business with the apple and the snake. So don't get all judgy yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty