Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:21 PM

663 posts, read 777,746 times

Advertisements

Generally speaking, when you walk around, women dress better + prepare more before going out. I've seen guys who wear really dirty clothes, etc. All of the people who smelled like crap in public were guys.

I know tons of guys that spend maybe 5-10 minutes before getting ready for work and alot of girls I know say they spend at least 30 minutes to upwards of 2 hours.

Sometimes, when I'm late, I just get up and go to work. No brushing teeth, no showering, nothing. I just say to myself, oh well. I'll dress better another day when I have time.

Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Women prep their appearance, guys their wallet.

(guys must do the approaching)

Old 10-24-2013, 11:10 PM

364 posts, read 715,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Generally speaking, when you walk around, women dress better + prepare more before going out. I've seen guys who wear really dirty clothes, etc. All of the people who smelled like crap in public were guys.

I know tons of guys that spend maybe 5-10 minutes before getting ready for work and alot of girls I know say they spend at least 30 minutes to upwards of 2 hours.

Sometimes, when I'm late, I just get up and go to work. No brushing teeth, no showering, nothing. I just say to myself, oh well. I'll dress better another day when I have time.

Why is that?
I bet you're one of the people that shows up to work with the breath of a dragon and a body odor of sweaty gym socks.

But in all seriousness, it just depends on one's personality and how much pride they take in their appearance. I think it is laziness, and to an extent, a lack of respect for others by showing up to work without performing any kind of personal hygiene. Personally, I can't even step out of the house in the morning without brushing my teeth; it just doesn't feel right. Additionally, there is no way I would go to work without showering or brushing my teeth. There is no excuse for that IMO.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:46 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
What is better? Better for what? To body? Men do it better, they don't wear heels. I don't wear either, just to treat my body better.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:16 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times

Why is that?

Maybe you are hanging out with the wrong crowd or on the wrong side of town. Or maybe your guy friends have jobs and are working while your girl friends are living off guys and aren't working.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I will lay out my clothes and sometimes even shave the night before, then get up at 4:30. It takes me about 10-15 minutes to shower and brush my teeth, dress. I go downstairs and have some coffee (which is also prepared the night before with a timer on the maker set for 4:15) and watch news, while on this and other forums until I leave at 5:30. Our work is business casual with casual Fridays (jeans). I buy my dress shirts and pants at Costco, and don't care at all about name brand/designer clothes. If my shoe is scuffed or I didn't notice that my collar or cuffs are starting to fray, I don't sweat it. Most of us guys just don't think it's worth wasting a lot of worry over what we look like as along as we're clean and presentable. When not at work I am in jeans (shorts in summer) pocket T-shirts and sneakers, because I want to be comfortable. OK, maybe a polo shirt and my best jeans if going out to a nice restaurant.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:29 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,529 times
If I'm in a suit, women assume I have money, which I don't. So when I go out in public, I get the crazies and gold diggers coming after me. When I wear casual attire in the form of a sweater, skull cap, scarf, mittens, greatcoat, and other non standard manly man clothing, women often ask me if I'm gay. There seems to be some strange notion that if men wear a sweater, greatcoat, and get their colors coordinated, they're flamboyant homosexuals! If I smell good, have clean nails, and teeth, it seems to alert their gaydar more.

In 48 years, that's been my experience.

Cheers,
bolillo

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 10-27-2013 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here

Old 10-27-2013, 11:52 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Are we talking about fashion sense or basic hygiene? The original post seems to confuse the two.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:07 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
To answer the original question, I think there's a bit of projection going on with dress. I think men care a lot less about clothes in general, and are less likely to judge people based on the way they are dressed, or even notice it absent an extreme situation.

Therefore, since women are more likely to judge, they also assume they will be judged themselves, and take more trouble with their appearance. Being less likely to judge on this factor, men are also less likely to expect to be judged.

As far as basic hygiene, I don't know if there's any difference between men and women. I would never leave the house without brushing my teeth, or with dirty clothes on. I will leave the house without shaving, and I don't always dress to the nines. I like to dress casually but neat.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:16 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
alot of girls I know say they spend at least 30 minutes to upwards of 2 hours
Have you been to college. Many students, guys and girls just slip on what they have and run to class. If you need over 30 minutes to dress up for everyday activities, something is wrong. Even for formal occasions, it should take no more than 30 minutes to put on something elegant, do touch ups, and beautification of hair.

I am a guy and spend 7 minutes on average every day dressing up, choosing the right cologne, and styling my hair. Women may have a longer beautification procedure, but 10 minutes should be enough time for women to choose a nice looking casual outfit, put it on, do basic hair beautification, and spray on some scent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty