Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 09:15 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
So a man in his '60s or '70s would look stupid in a Beatles T-shirt, for example, or another band from his youth? I wouldn't agree with that at all.
Time and place for everything. Out to a nice restaurant dinning with friends, no. Sitting on the patio of an open air bar, enjoying a drink, absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 09:56 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Men over the age of 25 should not be wearing converse, vans, hi-tops or other kid type shoes. Grown ups wear grown up clothes. Wearing T-shirts with logos or graphics on them is for teenagers. Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?

The appropriate shoes for men aged 25 years and older would be monks, oxfords, derbies, and loafers. Grown men also wear button up shirts and polos. NOT short sleeve t-shirts with logos, wife beaters, sports jerseys and other low brow immature styles.

Anyone else agree?
Grown men don't wear t-shirts with logos on them? Huh? My fifty-year-old spouse has a bunch of black t-shirts with the name of his employer on them. He wears them all the time. It's pretty common for the tech sector. He wears polos and button-downs for professional settings, but otherwise it's t-shirts and jeans.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
There has definitely been a generational shift in the way men dress, and I think the OP here is reflecting the thinking of the older generation (and by that I mean people in my parents' generation, who are now in their 70s and 80s).

I remember when I was growing up in the late 1960s and 1970s, adults generally didn't wear jeans or sneakers. They were for kids, and people past their early 20s tended not to even own a pair of sneakers. I remember the men in the neighborhood out mowing their lawns on Saturday morning wearing black dress shoes, black socks and Bermuda shorts. It was a ridiculous look.

It seems it didn't become acceptable for adults to wear sneakers and jeans until around the late 1970s, and definitely by the 1980s. That change has stuck with the people who came of age during that era, and have continued to dress that way into their 50s and 60s.

When I moved into my current neighborhood 15 years ago, I was one of the youngest men in the neighborhood, and I noticed a definite generational difference between the (relatively) younger men like myself and the older men who had lived in the neighborhood for a long time. The older men shaved every day, and dressed more formally even just for hanging around. The men around my age shaved less often, and wore jeans, sneakers and other informal wear much more.

I think there are certain things that younger people wear that look stupid as guys get older, like band-related t-shirts, jeans that are all ripped and hanging down, etc. But there's nothing wrong with dressing informally and for comfort, IMO. I intend to continue to do so.
My 75 year old husband wears jeans most every day. The older men you referenced in you post probably would be my father’s generation. Most older men that I know dress casually in retirement.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My 75 year old husband wears jeans most every day. The older men you referenced in you post probably would be my father’s generation. Most older men that I know dress casually in retirement.
Agreed. I haven't seen my long-retired father in anything other than a t-shirt, shorts, baseball cap, and athletic shoes since he retired other than at wedding, funerals, and holiday parties. Same for my father-in-law. I think my FIL burned all but one of his ties in the late-eighties when dress casual was formally adopted at his company. Even my grandfather, who's a spry 98-years-old, wears t-shirts and shorts 99% of the time. That said, there's probably a moth-eaten '50s-era felt fedora in his basement. The man never throws anything away!

Old 05-03-2018, 05:51 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,908,776 times
I'm a 60 year-old doctor, and I kinda agree with the OP. If you wear the same clothing at 25 as you did when you were 15, what does that say? Wear your sneakers when playing sports.

Here in Texas, we adult men wear collared shirts, clean jeans or khakis, cowboy boots or leather shoes, and a belt.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:17 PM

1,299 posts, read 824,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
If you wear the same clothing at 25 as you did when you were 15, what does that say?
Nothing whatsoever?

Old 05-03-2018, 09:04 PM

1,517 posts, read 991,998 times
Quote:
Here in Texas, we adult men wear collared shirts, clean jeans or khakis, cowboy boots or leather shoes, and a belt.

And in Texas, *real* adult men wear whatever they want and don't give a ---k what other people (whose lifestyles it has no effect on) think of them.

"We" is an exclusive term.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:53 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,433,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post

Also here in Texas, I don't see this much.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:05 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,042,910 times
I'm tired of seeing this thread on top of my forum activity list!

The occasion, to a point, and not age, should determine what you wear.

Hey, I'm in my forties and still like going on carnival rides. Does that make me a 'kid', O.P.?

Don't grow old before your time, my friend.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
I'm tired of seeing this thread on top of my forum activity list!

The occasion, to a point, and not age, should determine what you wear.

Hey, I'm in my forties and still like going on carnival rides. Does that make me a 'kid', O.P.?

Don't grow old before your time, my friend.

Okay, I just gotta ask: CAT VOMIT in a radiator?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty