Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 03:48 PM

16,073 posts, read 7,089,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
So glad you posted this question! I, too, am looking a new options for a sheer foundation for "mature" skin (at 62 my skin is mature even if I'm not ) I'm looking at pressed foundations in a compact, too. My daughter-in-law uses "Oriental Princess" pressed foundation and it looks natural on her. I didn't like the online price of $20.+ but it looks like it would last awhile. Right now, on the days I use foundation, have been blending two shades of Almay liquid foundation and thinking about thinning it with moisture lotion.
Yes, mature skin sounds better :-) I too would prefer a pressed compact foundation. I saw a video of a MAC product where the guy put it on himself with a damp a brush. I think it's called Studio something. The toughest thing for me is to match my skin shade. They are either too dark or too pale when bring them home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 09:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times
All this summer I have been using Revlon's BB cream, without foundation. The BB cream evens out my skin tone, but lets the slight tan I have show through. I use my regular blush with it.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:02 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,615,459 times
I have dry, fair skin & live in a dry climate. Under my make-up, I wear Eucerin Daily Protection Facial Moisturizer SPF 30. Went to my dermatologist for another issue and she said this was a good choice for me. For foundation, I wear Revlon Color Stay for normal/dry skin. I've been using this foundation for maybe 10 years--can't remember. I use very little--mostly just high cheeks & nose areas. I'm over 40 and as I get older, I notice my skin is drier. I also use Oil of Olay deep hydration regenerating cream after removing my make up each evening.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:22 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,133,125 times
I use Yves Saint Laurent le teint touché éclat. It is wonderful on mature skin and has a lovely illuminating quality and has so many shades available - it never looks caked and has a sheer coverage.

I shop at Sephora and the ladies are always so helpful with matching skin tone and recommending products (since I am blind and my Husband is clueless!).

Old 08-07-2013, 04:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times
Yesterday I added my Smashbox liquid foundation over the Revlon BB cream on my face. I remember now why I love the way this looks. I recommend it! The Revlon BB cream is a little oily but it stays put and provides an excellent base for the expensive foundation. i used less of it than normal.

I suggest experimenting with BB cream and liquid or cream foundation. I think having the BB cream match as closely as possible your skin tone is very helpful. Revlon does a great light/fair cream, while others only have medium/light.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:22 PM

16,073 posts, read 7,089,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I use Yves Saint Laurent le teint touché éclat. It is wonderful on mature skin and has a lovely illuminating quality and has so many shades available - it never looks caked and has a sheer coverage.

I shop at Sephora and the ladies are always so helpful with matching skin tone and recommending products (since I am blind and my Husband is clueless!).
I tried the Yves product today, the woman at the counter. Matched it for me and applied it. It felt too sticky and I did not like the glow. I tried Laura Mercier makeup compact later and really liked it. I decided to stay with my make up and bought a smash box lipstick in fig. Lovely color really like it.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:01 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,025,487 times
Every time I go to Macy's or some other Mall store and let them professionally put on make up, I look horrible. Old and like wearing a mask, several layers of paint on my face that everybody can see from far away.

Then I go to some cheap store and buy just any foundation and look fine.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,937,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Every time I go to Macy's or some other Mall store and let them professionally put on make up, I look horrible. Old and like wearing a mask, several layers of paint on my face that everybody can see from far away.

Then I go to some cheap store and buy just any foundation and look fine.
I have had success with foundations at department stores. Eye makeup on the other hand.

The makeup people see someone with my complexion and they start trying the florescent yellow lipstick, red eyeliner and fuchsia eye shadow.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:37 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,768,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
For the longest time I have been using the Bare mineral powder makeup over a mineral base. I don't even use that so much. I am thinking of going back to a liquid makeup or something else. But I have no idea where to start. I want something light with minimal coverage. I have older skin.

What are you all using and what do you like?
Smash box bb cream. Love it.

Light even coverage. Very moisturizing.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:03 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,152,465 times
FTR, I have oily, acne-prone skin & some post-acne hyper-pigmentation to cover. My skin is rather sensitive in that it can break out easily with the wrong products.

I currently am loving Stila foundations.

I use the tinted moisturizer sometimes, and when I want full coverage then I use stay-all-day foundation. It feels light, does not LOOK heavy either, is easy to apply, a little goes a long way (covers well), does not get greasy, and wears well in the heat.

The tinted moisturizer is light with buildable coverage. You can almost build it up like a foundation, but it starts off very sheer.

As for mineral makeup, I used to love Everyday Minerals, but they changed their formula and now I only use it as setting powder. I do recommend it for that, though.

I also like NYC's powder compact & HD concealer. It's cheap & does the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty