Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 12:48 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,662,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
And there we have a perfect example of how social stigma and pressure to conform helped to keep your granny from being all tatted up.
Not that it would matter to you since not only do you have tats you are not ashamed of, but you revel in how your granny is "badass".
As an FYI- grannies are suppose to be revered and respected, not considered cool or badass.

As to your youthful indiscretion, whether you see it or not, most of us look back at the stupid decisions of our youth with embarrassment and laughter.
But as I mentioned in a previous post, those who get tatted up do not have the luxury of shedding their clothes or actions so easily. To keep their sanity some embrace the lifestyle and become a caricature and the brunt of jokes/ridicule whether they want to admit it or not.
So if you see someone walking around with a weirdo haircut or parachute pants, you laugh at how stupid they appear because most people outgrew the fads.
Yet your fad of tats does not give you the luxury of changing wardrobes.
Still, rest assured whether you want to admit it or not, many people are either rolling their eyes at you, or laughing at how you look. Your only defense is to call them haters or some other such defensive act. However deep down inside you are still the person you were when you were a kid, not wanting to be an outcast, but not having a choice because of the poor and permanent choices you made to graffiti yourself.

I might not be able to still claim I am young, but I am far from being a grandpa. It is just that some of us were raised with proper values, and despite societies slide toward debauchery, we will not sit by and pretend this trend of women to get tats is not a sign of the degradation of our culture.

`
Pressure to conform? She came to ME and asked if I wanted to go with her to get a tattoo. I have no idea what my 63 year old grandmother was trying to conform to... she wanted a tattoo and she got one. That's it. And my granny is cool and badass as well as revered and respected. She's also not the type of person who sits on a porch and makes lemonade...I believe she's going skydiving for her 70th birthday next year

And you keep saying 'fad', but to many of us it's NOT a fad. Tattooing has been around for thousands of years and whether or not it's 'popular' or not has zero bearing on why I received my tattoos. I know this is really, really difficult to get your head around, but I didn't get my tattoos to fit in or because everyone around me was getting them. In fact, I was the first of my 'group' of friends to get tattooed and I'm the most heavily tattooed by far.

I just don't get how people can be so angry at others who decide to do something different than them. I mean, your choice to get a tattoo or not has absolutely zero bearing on my life so why would I waste even a second caring about it? The fact that you care enough to get so worked up about it says far more about you than it does me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 01:41 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,244,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
If nothing else one of the big benefits of tattoos is how much it riles up some folks. That has to count for something.
Even better, it serves as a quick way to weed out women.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:48 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,196,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Even better, it serves as a quick way to weed out women.
I'm pretty sure those women are happy to be excluded. Its a win/win.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:01 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,244,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Its a win.
Indeed.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:18 PM

21,915 posts, read 25,242,581 times
Kind of like it. It's a risque place, draws attention when you want it, easily concealed when you don't. I guess it limits choices in evening wear in more formal venues where you might not want to be showing ink. Just depends... a lot of the younger lawyers my age and a little older have full sleeves. You wouldn't know it until the shirt-sleeves get rolled up. With woman, there's fewer areas that are generally covered in a 9-5 office environment that you can show when you let your hair down so to speak.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:03 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,839,718 times
While I am at it- In cultures that have some class and among the old aristocracy- a tattoo was considered super low class...I still look at them that way. They limit your ability to rise up socially - Those in control of the system -still look at tattoos as lowly...Those getting tattoos really do not understand that if you want to enter into certain circles in business...Those with bold tattoos that show are gently shunned...That is a fact.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 AM

251 posts, read 523,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
While I am at it- In cultures that have some class and among the old aristocracy- a tattoo was considered super low class...I still look at them that way. They limit your ability to rise up socially - Those in control of the system -still look at tattoos as lowly...Those getting tattoos really do not understand that if you want to enter into certain circles in business...Those with bold tattoos that show are gently shunned...That is a fact.

Mr. Bach's statement is quite true, although it won't be accepted by some. Regardless of the point that I agree with the human body being created perfectly, and altering it artificially is foolish.

Visible tattoos are definitely seen as lower class by many of us who are the boss, the man. For 26 years I was an airline pilot, and never saw visible tattoos on my colleagues. I know a few had them, but they had to keep them covered up. Visible tattoos were commonly seen on rampers, mechanics, cleaners, etc., but not on pilots. (Hint: lower/higher class career)

Since I took leave from flying large jets around, I've been in business. Both as an executive with a large corporation, and now as CEO of two companies I started. You won't see tattoos on any of our people except at the lower labor levels. Those of us at a certain level and above just probably aren't going to let you in the club if you're flaunting ink that we see.

You may be brilliant, a hard worker, and all that, but guess what; there are plenty of others who haven't inked up their bodies who are just as qualified.

Obviously that isn't true across the board in all business, but it is in the circles I operate in.

Life's all about the choices we make. We make our own opportunity and "luck", just as we make our own disadvantages at times. Choose wisely...

Old 08-05-2013, 10:49 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,858,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilist View Post
Mr. Bach's statement is quite true, although it won't be accepted by some. Regardless of the point that I agree with the human body being created perfectly, and altering it artificially is foolish.

Visible tattoos are definitely seen as lower class by many of us who are the boss, the man. For 26 years I was an airline pilot, and never saw visible tattoos on my colleagues. I know a few had them, but they had to keep them covered up. Visible tattoos were commonly seen on rampers, mechanics, cleaners, etc., but not on pilots. (Hint: lower/higher class career)

Since I took leave from flying large jets around, I've been in business. Both as an executive with a large corporation, and now as CEO of two companies I started. You won't see tattoos on any of our people except at the lower labor levels. Those of us at a certain level and above just probably aren't going to let you in the club if you're flaunting ink that we see.

You may be brilliant, a hard worker, and all that, but guess what; there are plenty of others who haven't inked up their bodies who are just as qualified.

Obviously that isn't true across the board in all business, but it is in the circles I operate in.

Life's all about the choices we make. We make our own opportunity and "luck", just as we make our own disadvantages at times. Choose wisely...
So, is it about having a tattoo, or a visible tattoo (then define visible)? There are two frames of thought going on here in your post and on this thread.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:51 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,971,100 times
The real issue is those that call the tattoo "tramp stamps". Usually it is men using that term, as if they are somehow immune from being what they call others.

At one time, such tattoo's were popular with young women/girls. That doesn't mean they are of were tramps. They just decided to do something that was popular at the time.

Of course, those that cling to some desire to pass judgement on such things never did anything that might reflect on them in later years...

other than being who they are perhaps. Mostly, they are also hypocrites because those same people are probably busy watching or reading materials of questionable origin and value, if only their friends and family knew.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:55 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,694,496 times
Here's a thought, don't like them, don't get one. The anti-tattoo crowd never misses an opportunity to degrade and slander those of us with tattoos. Which is hilarious seeing how they oh so precious skin ends up in the same place we tat'd end up. Worm food. There are no points awarded in the afterlife for a pristine body.
I'd say more than half the woman I"ve dated in the past couple of years have lower back tattoos. I think its a good spot. Especially if it doesn't turn out or the like. But this whole "I bet they all regret it"and "It's stupid" mentality is asinine. Some people need to realize that some of us choose to live our lives the way we see fit. And we do not need your judging, close minded, square opinion. I have tattoos for me, I don't seek anyone's opinion of them and I don't care if you like them.

Furthermore, any one that views people with tattoos as lesser, I wouldn't want to work for you. I don't want to be associated with someone or anyone for that matter, who is so shallow and unintelligent as to think that someone who has a tattoo is beneath them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty