Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 PM

765 posts, read 2,442,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Meh... they have a target audience and market to it.
Many places do the
same thing.
Agree with Pitt Chick. There are petite stores, Big and Tall, specific style stores like hot topic, why not one for the tall skinny model types? Isn't this America?

Personally - I don't shop there, and when my kids were younger found the clothes to be of poor quality at big prices. The CEO is an idiot, which is obviously part of their brand too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 05:38 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,381,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
Agree with Pitt Chick. There are petite stores, Big and Tall, specific style stores like hot topic, why not one for the tall skinny model types? Isn't this America?

Personally - I don't shop there, and when my kids were younger found the clothes to be of poor quality at big prices. The CEO is an idiot, which is obviously part of their brand too.
But these stores don't come out and say that non-cool or non beautiful should not shop there.

Who is to judge who is not cool or pretty? There are many people who can fit in their clothing but if they are deemed ugly or un cool they shouldn't be able to purchase them?

Stores that are for petite, plus, big and tall are for a specific size and they do not say that people not of that size cannot shop there. Anyone can shop there. The clothes may not fit or they may be buying them as a gift, but surely anyone can shop there.

The CEO is basically saying that if you are not pretty or one of the cool kids, our store is not for you. I understand they do not sell bigger sizes and that is not really an issue until you come out and verbally discriminate against someone saying that your clothes are not for fat women.

No ****. People know what sizes they carry.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:36 AM

22,613 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Interesting take on the subject...

suzannah paul | the smitten word: help or harm? power, intent, & objectification #FitchTheHomeless

Old 05-16-2013, 10:25 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,381,379 times
What I have against this, and it is as a parent, is the labeling of 'cool kids' and 'not cool kids'. The clothing would fit either person just as well, if it was the appropriate size.

He is just like an adult bully.....

Old 05-16-2013, 11:49 AM

747 posts, read 1,683,557 times
I shopped in that store several years back. I had lost a lot of weight and decided to shop in stores I couldn't before due to sizing issues. I bought several items in both A&F and the other store they own Hollister. I wore them for awhile but eventually stopped wearing them. Most of the tees were thin and I had to wear a tee under them to keep them from being see though. Eventually after a few years of wear they got holes in them, some became too see though to wear or others stretched out so bad they couldn't be wore and most had to be thrown out. What didn't get thrown out was sold in a yard sale. Now out of all of the Hollister and A&F items I bought I think I may still have 2-3 tees left but that's it. I wouldn't be opposed to shopping there again one day but as of right now my style has changed and what I like to wear it different then what they have plus i'm older now and I think those brands are marketed for teens. I don't care what the CEO says about plus sizes. I'm larger by most standards a size L/14, and I couldn't care less about what other people think of me or my clothing. If I like it and want to purchase it I do, it's my money and I spend it as I wish.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:11 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,880,069 times
This whole thing is a business decision, people don't like it because he is being so honest (perhaps to get people talking to generate buzz..which seems to be working no?)..he wants the brand to be more exclusive thus appealing even more to his target audience. I mean he could have implemented this strategy without saying it (limiting the sizes available etc) but he chose to publically state it so I think to generate hype...even bad publicity is publicity afterall

Old 05-16-2013, 02:18 PM

29,753 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Im surprised people still wear A&F. They havent been relevant since the early part of last decade.
What's kind of funny is that Abercrombie was founded as a sporting goods store a la L.L. Bean back in the day. I was at a historic house museum that had an exhibit of the family's possessions. One of the sons used to go hunting with Teddy Roosevelt, and it was ironic to see tents and fishing vests labeled "Abercrombie and Fitch, 1902" in a display case.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:48 PM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
This Greg Karber is doing an awesome thing! Bravo!

My son used to wear Abercrombie clothes (and so did I) until we heard the recent comments by their jerk of a CEO. We proceeded to take our Abercrombie clothes and throw them away (because donating them to Goodwill would only mean that other people would wear their brand on their chest).

They are blacklisted from my household now.
Mine too. Actually I think I've been in there ONCE, and the damn place it so dark I said forget it. I think the CEO is an ass, and if I had any of their clothes, I would give them to the homeless as well.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:01 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,562,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Mine too. Actually I think I've been in there ONCE, and the damn place it so dark I said forget it. I think the CEO is an ass, and if I had any of their clothes, I would give them to the homeless as well.
I've never been in there, and have no desire to. I can't stand brands that have their stupid logo all over their crap...A&F, Aeropostale, Under Armour, etc. They have the right to choose their target market, and we have the right to not give them our money.

I've never really followed the trend herd, so I honestly don't know this. Are they even still relevant?

Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,733,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Im surprised people still wear A&F. They havent been relevant since the early part of last decade.

Yeah but with this charade, they're making themselves relevant again. Everyone is talking about them and you know what they say: Any publicity is good publicity.

I wouldn't buy a thing from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty