Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:40 PM

517 posts, read 998,570 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering because I have thought of how my mom grandma and great grandma are so differently proportioned wen they were young and including me. I find it hard to believe. My mom's more a pear 31-23-33. And I'm more an inverted triangle/hourglass 36-24-33.5. And my grandma was built like a natural Pamela Anderson 41-23-34. And my great grandma was built like a stick Moreso 34-26-34. Also height wise it's all over the place and weight gain is different with almost each. I don't get if its usually the maternal line what could have likely happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 06:01 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
HA!!

I am female and take after my father in almost every way possible: I am a stick and naturally muscular and at 55 I still shop for shorts and casual pants and jeans at Old Navy and other places that cater to teenage boys. Sad, I know.

But I am of a more naturally active generation; perhaps the last one. It seems that current generations are not very active, don't always eat well, tend towards being fat, and are very tied to their electronic devices while not being at all connected to the real and natural world. So naturally they are physically weak, and/or overweight.

It is cultural and sociological. People are getting both fatter and physically weaker and less fit as a whole. Because we no longer have to be physiologically strong or fit to survive; we just need to be smarter.

Darwinism.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
I am the spitting image of my mom and her 9 siblings.
My daughter on the other hand has the structure and body type of her much healthier and athletic fathers side.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I don't think this is an exercise thread. But, I am a blend of both parents. I got pear tendencies from my mom (she is a true pear). And busty tendencies from my dad's side (women on his side tend to be apple shaped). Which leaves me as somewhere between a pear (who is busty) and an hourglass. My short torso is of indeterminate origins.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:30 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitgirl11 View Post
I'm wondering because I have thought of how my mom grandma and great grandma are so differently proportioned wen they were young and including me. I find it hard to believe. My mom's more a pear 31-23-33. And I'm more an inverted triangle/hourglass 36-24-33.5. And my grandma was built like a natural Pamela Anderson 41-23-34. And my great grandma was built like a stick Moreso 34-26-34. Also height wise it's all over the place and weight gain is different with almost each. I don't get if its usually the maternal line what could have likely happened?

Just sounds like you are built more like your grandma with a mix of your mom giving a bit smaller proportions. What you do and how you eat can affect how you are shaped as well as if you had children or not. Food today (even natural types) is much different than what your grandmother was eating.
Birth control and hormones in your food can affect chest size.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:41 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Both me and my sister take after my paternal grandmother in body shape, though my sister has a bit more of my mom's shape too. My grandma was a true pear, and unfortunately became very obese as she grew older which kind of scares me. My mom is more of an hourglass/apple shape, she has small hips and wider shoulders. I have a tiny upper body while my sister is a bit bigger on top. But we're extremely similar in the lower body. In spite of us both being a healthy weight, in okay shape, and my sister having done dance lessons for years, it was surprising how as she hit her teens the exact same shape of her legs and hips emerged that I've always hated in myself - heavy hips and legs, with the upper thighs having that chunky shape that doesn't narrow much towards the knee. At that moment I realized just how much genetics affects our shape. Of course both my mom and her mom have fantastic legs, which neither of us inherited (incidentally they also have cute little noses while both me and my sister ended up with my dad's bumpy one; gotta love genetics)

Old 05-10-2013, 10:43 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
Women get one X from their mom and one from their dad. A woman can be shaped like a female from either side of the family. My dad always said my big sister looks just like his mom and I take after the woman on my mother's side of the family.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:22 PM

517 posts, read 998,570 times
My grandma was 115 lbs and 5'6". I'm like a lot shorter at 5'1" and a half or so. My grandma's legs were more like bones she had a flat butt and narrow hips. Her shoulders were 43" but she gained a lot of weight and looked more like an apple after having 5 kids. but I think at 25 she was set to get obese. Because one of my aunts gained a lot of weight by 25 despite bever being pregnant. When she was young though she had a very defined waist. My waist is more average which is unusual as my mom and grandma had defined waists. My mom doesn't have hips either. But it's just she's very flat chested and has a large butt and shapely legs with a small waist and 33 inch shoulders which are equal to her hips. Despite having me she's stayed under 100 lbs at the age of 40.
With my grandma I have broad shoulders but my chest to waist ratio is higher. Also when I'm underweight my hips get really small 30.5 and on average they're 32.5. So that ratio is higher too. Plus my butt isn't flat. And my legs are long not bony yet not shapely.

My paternal grandma was a pear 32C-27-39 when she was young that was after she had my dad. She stayed thick rather than. Fat until her 40's after having 7 kids in her twenties and thirties. My dad's sisters were all pear shaped. They got overweight by their 30's or 40's. they were all very hippy.
My waist kind of isn't from anyone.

This is about body type which is simila.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I find that my sister and I, while on paper we have the same body shape, in reality it is executed differently on both of us.

It is pretty funny as you may not notice it off the bat. Spend a few minutes an differences will start popping up. Particularly in our legs, ankles, wrists and busts. We can have the same or very similar measurements and her bust looks much bigger than mine. My limbs are smaller than hers and I always feel like my calves are not proportional to the rest of my legs. I also have a shorter torso and longer limbs. But I am an inch shorter.

We can try in the same outfit and it will look widely different and fit differently.

Genetics is very interesting.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
My build is much more like the women on my dad's side than anybody on my mom's side. So is my facial structure. I have the exact same jawline, chin, and cheekbones of my paternal grandmother, and almost every photo I've ever seen of women in her family. My dad's sides genes win out over my mom's overall.

My height is a throwback to further generations, because I'm 5'10. Both my grandmas hovered around 5 feet or so, my mom is about 5'6". There were some tall women several generations back on my dad's side, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty