Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:20 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Mens shirts have the buttons on the opposite side from ladies shirts. It's really rare to see a ladies shirt made with the buttons on the opposite side.
I always wondered why the button are like that. Did Mr.Stone Age Caveman wrap his furs and skins around himself that way and his woman just wanted to be differrent?

I think my blouse was a manufacturing mistake. It was a plain, button down the front inexpensive blouse. Just use the same pattern. No difference except where you put the buttons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 04:10 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,374,299 times
Re: the OP, it could involve how the seams (sewn edges) of clothing (underwear or sox) feel compressed against skin,
so turning them inside out leaves the seam away from the body & could be less irritating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
I hate socks on in the house I need my feet to be bare lol weird I know but I hate having warm feet I get agitated........also I hate wearing pjs to bed I can not sleep at all so I wear a vest or oversized mans t-shirt with no bottoms
I can't deal with a nightgown, I just wear tee & loose/stretchy shorts or housepants.
I like wearing sox at home-I don't wear shoes indoors, at least not in my own home-but, I cannot sleep with sox on.
Strange as it may sound, I feel like I'm suffocating in bed if I have sox on.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:46 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,879,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Do you mean he likes socks a lot?

I hate socks too. I have hated them since I was a child. My mother used to indulge me and would put them on for me because I could NOT stand to touch them. It's a weird sensory thing.. but I would wear knee-highs with dresses and when they slouched down I would leave them there, all pooled around my ankles, because I didn't want to touch them to fix them! I can't explain it, it just makes my skin crawl.

Weird, I know. I eventually learned to deal with them on my own, obviously, but I will still opt for shoes I can wear without socks whenever possible (i.e. Birkies or similar).
Avoidance based OCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
I only have a thing for socks lol..

I will only wear black socks, unless im going snowboarding etc. and need wool socks or whatever.

Ill buy a couple packs every so often and when I pair them they need to be from the same batch..

I can tell because the color is slightly different. Also the top bungee part has to fit my ankle, not be all stretched and loose.

Nothing is better than a fresh pack of socks...
I pair up my socks after each weekly wash. All the rights to one side, all the lefts to the other. I buy socks with a logo on one or both sides to differentiate. Then I take one side and compare them putting the longest at the back and shortest at the front. For some odd reason they seem to stretch at different rates more or less. Then I do the same for the other row and when done I pair them, shortest left, shortest right, until I reach the end.

For other socks with patterns, like argyle, or ones I buy as single pairs, that is never a problem and those are easy to match.

I also always put my left sock on before the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I put my pants on one leg at a time.
Left leg before the right.

Remember when girls would have to get on their backs and pull their pants on both legs at a time. Before 1% blends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I thought everyone held their sleeves when they put on a jacket. If you don't, the sleeve pushes up and then you have to squirm and wiggle to get it down.
I hate holding my sleeves. I sneak my hand in and pull each sleeve out after, it is a hassle but I prefer this way.

Quote:
LOL! I confess that I am guessing. I have one blouse that I have trouble getting buttoned. I found out that it was made with the buttons on the wrong side. It would have been ok if I had been left handed. It's funny how those little tasks that we do automatically get fouled up if the slightest little thing is changed.
My wife gave me a Talbot's rain slicker that was too big for her. It is always so weird to zip/button. I won't ever get used to that but when it rains I am pretty stylish.

Quote:
I always wondered why the button are like that. Did Mr.Stone Age Caveman wrap his furs and skins around himself that way and his woman just wanted to be differrent?

I think my blouse was a manufacturing mistake. It was a plain, button down the front inexpensive blouse. Just use the same pattern. No difference except where you put the buttons.
In the Victorian era a lady was dressed by her lady and it was easier for a servant to button it up from that side.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:12 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,270,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Re: the OP, it could involve how the seams (sewn edges) of clothing (underwear or sox) feel compressed against skin,
so turning them inside out leaves the seam away from the body & could be less irritating.

I can't deal with a nightgown, I just wear tee & loose/stretchy shorts or housepants.
I like wearing sox at home-I don't wear shoes indoors, at least not in my own home-but, I cannot sleep with sox on.
Strange as it may sound, I feel like I'm suffocating in bed if I have sox on.
I agree 100% I feel the same although I like my socks off as soon as I'm home. I need my feel cold

Old 04-23-2013, 04:46 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,423,675 times
Quote:
LOL! I confess that I am guessing. I have one blouse that I have trouble getting buttoned. I found out that it was made with the buttons on the wrong side. It would have been ok if I had been left handed. It's funny how those little tasks that we do automatically get fouled up if the slightest little thing is changed.
Maybe it's not a blouse...maybe it's a man's shirt.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Maybe it's not a blouse...maybe it's a man's shirt.
Maybe, or rather a 12 year old boy's shirt. It didn't have any darts for the ole boobies. But, I don't think many boys would wear a shirt with lots of pretty flowers on it. I suspect that someone thought it was a good idea to use the same pattern. And it was.

I told my husband that I finally knew why women's clothes buttoned on the other side from mens. He was delighted to know too. He had wondered for years.

So the Internet was worthwhile today! We both learned something.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
For the life of me... I can not understand why my husband wears his underwear inside out!!! I ask him all the time, but he says its just a habit he had since a kid. I have purchased him tagless undies and ripped all the tags out thinking it bothers him, but he still does it. Does anyone have any weird clothing or even accessory habits or rituals?

Only thing I can think of is.. I still hold my sleeves when I put on my jackets!

Ew lol, inside out.. I dont know how people do that.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:45 AM

42 posts, read 89,368 times
i havent worn any kind of socks other than white ankle length since i was 12 years old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty