Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 03:17 PM

432 posts, read 1,232,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Check back with us in 20 years. You'll probably wish you'd worn a bra.
It's already been over 30 years and 3 kids later! I take care of myself and have always watched what I eat and exercise regularly.

I guess I am just one of the lucky ones with a decent shape body and not sagging!

PS I do wear bra's, it's just so much better without one! So when I can, I will go the freedom way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 03:56 PM

37,825 posts, read 46,381,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I always hear this, but I've been professionally fitted many times and I've measured myself. My problem with bras is that I HATE snug things. I even hate t-shirts where the neck is too high. I can't wear turtlenecks or scarfs because I feel like I'm being strangled. So it isn't the cups or shoulder straps that I hate on a bra but the band that circles around the back. I've use strap extensions to make it bigger, but if I make it big enough for comfort (which means big enough I don't feel it), the bra tends to shift upward and become useless over the course of the day.
I guess I am well used to it. I also run, and work out, a lot. And a good sports bra is mandatory. I have about 10 of them as well...I wash about 6 or 7 every week, and they definitely have a snug fit, but I find them very comfortable.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:18 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,223,039 times
Quote:
I always hear this, but I've been professionally fitted many times and I've measured myself. My problem with bras is that I HATE snug things. I even hate t-shirts where the neck is too high. I can't wear turtlenecks or scarfs because I feel like I'm being strangled. So it isn't the cups or shoulder straps that I hate on a bra but the band that circles around the back. I've use strap extensions to make it bigger, but if I make it big enough for comfort (which means big enough I don't feel it), the bra tends to shift upward and become useless over the course of the day.
I'm the same way, even a mock turtleneck makes me crazy. I also hate waistbands, low rise pants were the answer to my prayers, before them, I used to have to wear boys, or men's pants because women's waistbands made me feel suffocated. I can't tolerate a lot of fabrics either, I feel any slight pilling, or itchiness. Some people are just more sensitive to clothing, and for these people even the best fitted, and well designed bra will feel uncomfortable.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:38 PM

[quote=Amontillado;28678039]I don't know why people parrot this over and over, when it's easy to find out the truth. The modern bra was invented in various stages, but the one mostly responsible was Mary Phelps Jacob, who got a patent on her design and employed seamstresses to make it, but then sold her rights to a corset company. She was wealthy and didn't need to be running a business.

If you want to find out the "Truth" you need to search farther back in history and get out of USA.

History has discovered "bras" from the 1400's. Search a bit farther back in history, the bra was not "invented" in 1914 by Mary Phelps Jacob, she just got a patent and cashed in on a certain design. Previous to 1914, historians had placed the invention of the bra at an earlier date with French corset-maker Herminie Cadolle in the late 1700s (who is a women). However, the University of Innsbruck has photo's of bra's dating back to the 1400's, hundreds of years before.

Now I can not say if it was a MAN or a Women that made the first garment worn specially around the breast area, however back in the 1400's Women would not had much say it what was made and worn on their bodies. Men were the cloth makers and manufacturers of clothing that far back in history so Yes I am still assuming it was MAN that invented a "wrap" to cover a women's breast area which in modern times has changed shape and is now known as a Bra. Underpants were considered a symbol of male dominance and power.

University of Innsbruck has photos of these "bras" from the 1400's.

A team of Austrian archaeologists has discovered four bras from the 1400s. It reveals that women wore the garment some 500 years before fashion historians thought it was invented.

About 2,700 textile fragments were found in Castle Lengberg in Tyrol, Austria, by researchers from the University of Innsbruck. The garments were discovered stuffed inside a vault in the building's south wing. Alongside fragments of a male codpiece, lots of shoes, and some shirts, archaeologists discovered four linen bras.

They resemble modern bras because they have distinctly cut cups. One of the most well-preserved pieces of underwear looks like the longline bra of the 1950s, as it has an extra piece that extends down to the bottom of the ribcage. Like a corset, six eyelets on the left side of the body would be used to fasten the garment with lace.

Another bra has two broad shoulder straps and a possible back strap (it hasn't been preserved, but partially-torn edges suggest its existence). It's elaborately decorated with needle-lace, sprang-work (an early form of knitting), and finger-loop-lace.

Two of the more fragmented specimens appear to be a combination of a bra and a short shirt, as they have additional cloth above the cups to cover the décolleté. They also have lacework for decoration.
Until now, historians placed the invention of the bra with either French corset-maker Herminie Cadolle in the late 1700s, or Mary Phelps Jacob who was awarded an US patent for the "technology" in 1914.

There were some medieval texts that referred to bra-like garments -- sometimes mentioning pockets for the breasts or shirts with bags -- but until now, there has been no physical evidence for the underwear.
Fibre samples of two of the bras were sent to the ETH (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology) in Zürich to be Carbon-14 dated. All results confirmed that the lingerie is from the 1400s. They were most likely sealed in the vault in around 1485, when renovations were made to the castle.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:17 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,590,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
University of Innsbruck has photos of these "bras" from the 1400's.
And then again, evidence for the bandeau - a simple kind of strapless bra much in use still today - goes even further back, to at least the mid-4th century A.D., in the form of the mosaics at found at the Villa Romana del Casale in Sicily.

So in all likelihood, the very first bra was invented by an anonymous stone age woman who used a bone needle and some sinew to piece together a couple of pieces of animal hide to sling her boobs in.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:33 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,770,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I wear a bra when I go out, because if I didn't, I would have to have a skirt waistband that was at least 2 inches larger.
It's going to surprise a lot of you to find out what happens when they sag. There's all that extra stretched skin that has to be crammed in and toted around. They aren't making shoulder straps long enough to keep all that from bouncing about.
That was hilarious! I almost spewed tea at the monitor!

I had/have sagging issues after having kids and I think it is just the extremes in size changes. Before kids I was full B cup and wore about a size 8 in clothing. After my firstborn (I also gained way too much weight with him; 65 pounds!) I found myself in a huge bra size for a while, then I lost weight and settled at around a C cup. Before baby number two I was a size 12/14, but only gained about 20 pounds during pregnancy (and he was an almost 11 pound baby), yet after having him, despite losing baby weight right away, I was a K cup for an entire year! While nursing him and beyond, I was huge.

Then I went back down to a D cup. I think all the up and down and up and down has done it!

Quote:
Yes, this!! I, too, have been professionally fitted and spent a small fortune on more high quality bras, and it doesn't matter. They still bug me, but to not wear one is also uncomfortable so i found a happy medium with soft cotton 'sleep bras' made for pregnant/nursing women, for when I am home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I'm the same way, even a mock turtleneck makes me crazy. I also hate waistbands, low rise pants were the answer to my prayers, before them, I used to have to wear boys, or men's pants because women's waistbands made me feel suffocated. I can't tolerate a lot of fabrics either, I feel any slight pilling, or itchiness. Some people are just more sensitive to clothing, and for these people even the best fitted, and well designed bra will feel uncomfortable.
And this too! My mother used to call me the "Princess", when I was a child, from the story of the Princess and the Pea, so sensitive that she could feel a pea under 20 mattresses!

She thinks I am ridiculous but I cannot explain how this sort of stuff drives me crazy. That is my issue with bras. I cannot stand any sort of constricting clothing and the moment I get home, even if I am dressed in "comfy" low rise pants and a cotton shirt (I have issues with synthetics) I always change to something very loose and flowy with no weird threads or tags or rough seams or tightness anywhere. When I was little, I was nicknamed the "streak" (yes, it was the 70's) because of my propensity for stripping and refusing clothes in general but I suspect it was just the sensitivity issues rather than a desire to go nekkid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
And then again, evidence for the bandeau - a simple kind of strapless bra much in use still today - goes even further back, to at least the mid-4th century A.D., in the form of the mosaics at found at the Villa Romana del Casale in Sicily.

So in all likelihood, the very first bra was invented by an anonymous stone age woman who used a bone needle and some sinew to piece together a couple of pieces of animal hide to sling her boobs in.
Makes sense. Breasts get in the way. Can't imagine being a stone age woman, breasts swinging while you try and clean animal skins or start a fire, lol. Plus if you've ever nursed a toddler you know that "out of sight, out of mind" is a thing at work here...cover 'em up and you have less requests for nursies.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:06 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,225,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Lmao I could have written this- I just hate clothes, altogether......
Good to know there are people out there like me

Old 03-16-2013, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post

Hahaha... lol, Thinking about it your probably right! Reckon though the stone age women probably used her own hair as the thread as that's what the cave man did, drag the woman around by her hair, surely some would of fallen out!

I still like the feeling of freedom, we were born without any clothes so when there's a way...

Old 03-16-2013, 11:04 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,508,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathyanderson View Post
What is the real reason women wear Bra's?? Those with very large size and those with very small. Thanks
So we don't trip on them! LOL

Old 03-16-2013, 11:06 AM

7 posts, read 18,442 times
So they don't sag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty