Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:07 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
Being thin and fit will make you look like you're thin and fit. "Better" is a subjective term. The women in the two pics below are neither thing nor fit, but they look good.

Well I think the argument, whether you agree with it or not, is not that fat=ugly but that thin=less ugly. That those lovely ladies would be lovelier if they were thinner and fitter.

Personally, I'm not so sure. I'm no fan of the pro-fat movement, mostly because it seems to always carry an anti-thin message, but I wouldn't be so bold as to say every person looks and feels better in a slimmer body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,001 times
Kinda off topic, but every time these kind of thread come up and people start saying that "I'm thin" or "I'm the right weight," I'm always a bit skeptical because people don't really know much about body composition and are prone to have odd perceptions of their weight. Specifically, we know that men are more likely to think they are the appropriate weight even though they are on the bigger side. Just pointing that out and a link to a big study on that topic.

Self-Perception of Weight Appropriateness in the United States
http://christakis.med.harvard.edu/pd...ticles/058.pdf

Last edited by tonym9428; 01-04-2013 at 09:05 AM..

Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,772 times
Quote:
Being thin and fit will make you look like you're thin and fit. "Better" is a subjective term. The women in the two pics below are neither thing nor fit, but they look good.

Being thin doesn't mean you're also fit. "Fit" implies good health and I have seen some size 0 and 2 women who look like death spread on a cracker. If someone's body type is naturally a size 0 or 2, they'll look fine. A 5'10" woman who weighs 105 pounds is not fit.

Also, the women in the photos you provided, you say are neither thin or fit.....on the contrary. They may not be "model" thin, but they are IN NO WAY WHATSOEVER overweight and they LOOK HEALTHY AND FIT.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:05 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The definition of misplaced priorities: assuming someone's looks determine their value.
Damnit, Jade. Quit making such good comments - I can't rep you again!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,086 times
Quote:

This lady is one of my absolute favorite fashion bloggers! Such a fan of Tanesha.

Also, this forum has a weird obsession with thinness. Knowing how to dress your body is what makes your clothes look good, and that's pretty much all there is to it.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Being thin doesn't mean you're also fit. "Fit" implies good health and I have seen some size 0 and 2 women who look like death spread on a cracker. If someone's body type is naturally a size 0 or 2, they'll look fine. A 5'10" woman who weighs 105 pounds is not fit.

Also, the women in the photos you provided, you say are neither thin or fit.....on the contrary. They may not be "model" thin, but they are IN NO WAY WHATSOEVER overweight and they LOOK HEALTHY AND FIT.
I can't comment on the health or fitness of those ladies, but you're kidding yourself if you think they aren't both more than a little overweight. They are roughly the same height but only the second reveals her size as a 16 and I'd guess the first is a similar size. Looking at mybodygallery.com at women who match their stats and body type, even the lowest weight puts them squarely in the overweight category and teetering on the line of obesity.

Plain and simple, they're fat. Doesn't mean they don't look good and doesn't mean they aren't in perfect health, but lets stop pretending that 200lb women are skinny.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:01 AM

890 posts, read 2,279,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePew View Post
Has anyone else noticed this? When I have a flat belly and work out a little everything I try on (in the right size) fits. I can wear any cut and style, and even cheaper clothes/brands look better than nicer brands when 10 lbs heavier.
Absolutely. I dropped 15 pounds 2 years ago during a very stressful 6 months in my life and I spent a lot of time in the gym and shopping to get my mind off of things. I bought a lot of cropped tops, shorter shorts, and skinnier pants, and almost everything I tried on looked great! I found myself actually having to leave things that I liked because I didn't have the money to spend, whereas in the past I would struggle to find one or two things worth buying. Now I have gained most of it back and am having the same problems I had before losing the weight. It's definitely motivating me to make some changes in my diet and physical activity this year since I don't have the added benefit of lots of stress to help drop some pounds. It was oh so nice not having to worry as much about the fit of clothes.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post

Whether they look healthy and fit is subjective, but both of those women are most certainly overweight and they look it.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:

They are "thick fit" and wearing flattering choices.
Body fat is probably a healthy level or borderline. They are plus size model thin.
Even plus size models usually workout or are active naturally.

I don't think its about "x" lbs but more body fat and gain areas that can make flattering choices be limited due to fabric weight or cut. You definitely can get away with thinner fabrics when you are in better shape at any size.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:31 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I agree, but I (a man) also look for shirts that are "slim fit" or "athletic fit" because if I get the regular fit, the shirts are baggy and look sloppy. I work out and weigh what I should, so I might as well show it off
This is something that I wish more men would learn and understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty