Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:40 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times

Advertisements

Ridiculous to compare a tie to a corset...

That said, DH really LOVES wearing ties, and he has quite the collection.
I have never owned a corset or known anyone personally who owned a corset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 06:44 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Total agreement.

Wearing a necktie makes me feel like a liar.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:44 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Aren't corsets making a comeback among goths?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:34 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Corsets are becomgin more popular in lots of circles. They are actually a great alternative for women with larger busts to bras as well. They also support your back.

When corsets cross into waist training, is when the "health issues" can show up.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The Burlesque revival in the UK with famous proponents such as Dita Von Teese seems to have renewed the interest in corsets as lingerie for women and for men apparently there has also been a surge in sales for posture and waist training. Apparently Victorian men often worse corsets but I am surprised any chap these days is willing to put up with the discomfort...

I had a couple as a teenager and it does give you an amazing posture and forces you to be far more grafeful when sitting down for example. It is impossible to slouch in them. I never had mine that tight as I am not into pain but it was very supportive. And it gives you a very hourglass figure.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:16 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,368,313 times
Thinking OP needs to try on a corset and go ahead and wear it for a couple days and see how fast he'd take back that tie.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:56 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,910,845 times
Do ties make men faint or deform their bone structure and bodies? Because that is only some of what corsets did to women who wear them regularly. They are also hard to eat or breathe in.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:18 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,639 times
Nope, I don't agree with the OP at all. I love wearing ties. Suits don't look right without one.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,775,588 times
I think neckties are wonderful. They feel great against my skin, when DH and I are having a quick ... between meetings (he's tall, I'm short, and his tie ends up caressing my face. Much nicer than would be a scratchy old shirt...).

Silk ties feel wonderful, and frequently are the only color/expression allowed men in their business getups. Maybe men who hate ties are afraid of their own inner colorlessness... that there is really nothing within them worthy of expressing?

Ties are strong vertical elements. They make the torso look longer and thus more masculine. They close the top of the shirt, hiding wrinkly old necks and protruding Adam's apples. They cover wrinkly shirt plackets. They help hide belly fat protruding at the top of a belt. They cover (if tied long enough) the awkward place at the top of the zipper.

My DH, who owns hundreds of neckties, also has problems with becoming overheated. He copes by not wearing undershirts, and not wearing starched shirts. He wears French cuffs, and generally, suspenders, because then he still looks dressed-up without a jacket. He orders suits in tropical weight fabrics, with unlined jackets. Also, he frequently wears loafer socks, in summer, and generally wears loafers (considered just as formal as lace-ups), which he kicks off at the conference table. He also does not hesitate to take off his suit jacket, if the room is too hot. If someone objects to seeing his chest hair through his shirt, that's their problem. It's certainly no worse than women running around showing cleavage. Of course, being a 6'-3" bodybuilder helps him break a few rules, as does the fact that he wears 'beyond-the-best' quality clothing.

But if he's in business attire, he's wearing a necktie.

Oh, and ties also make the neck look thicker: something most men desperately need.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 12-18-2012 at 07:13 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Walk around in a corset for a day and then make the comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty