Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Like I said in my earlier post, Louis Vuitton will never be made outside of the three locations that they have factories in; France, Spain, U.S.

They are hand made without the aid of machine. You will also never see a " flawed " or factory second ever sold. They are destroyed at the source.

You will never see an outlet store for Louis Vuitton and because of Louis Vuitton's strangle hold on their retail sales you will never see a Louis Vuitton product sold at a brick and morter store that isn't a Louis Vuitton boutique.

Someone that I addressed earlier concerning LV said that their are entry level bags at LV.

What do you consider entry level?

Last year I purchased a Louis Vuitton Speedy 40 for my wife at 1400.00.

The smallest of this series is the Speedy 25 at approx 550.00.

If you have never held a Louis Vuitton bag I invite you to do so, the superior quality and hand tooled workmanship will be immediately apparent.
You are correct, they are NOT made in China, but LV imports Chinese laborers to France, etc to make the bags so they can still stamp made in France.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
You are correct, they are NOT made in China, but LV imports Chinese laborers to France, etc to make the bags so they can still stamp made in France.
On a related note, this is a great book to read:
Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster: Dana Thomas: 9780143113706: Amazon.com: Books

Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 AM

105 posts, read 199,792 times
Designer bags can be seen as "affordable/attainable" luxury. For instance, most designer clothing is outside of the realm of possibility for the average woman (putting aside the sizing constraints- that's another issue altogether), but a wallet or bag by that same designer is doable with some saving.

Personally, I buy a bag based on workmanship. I carried monogram bags when I was younger, now I look for a good, classic leather bag that will last, with the small touches that are present in better quality bags.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:55 PM

31 posts, read 50,846 times
When I buy a designer handbag it's because its more durable or really like the bag. I have a Longchamp bag and the reason I brought it is because its a good quality tote bag that I use everyday for work. Handbag styles change quickly so I don't see the point in buying only expensive designer bags, especially since its just something to hold my stuff. People bragging or judging about handbags is straight up ridiculous.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:59 PM

I have had a thing for designer bags since I was 8. But I didn't realize the bag I was coveting was designer. I just thought it looked cool (hello Kelly bag).

I never liked logo bags. One I my first purchases after I got my first "adult" job was a splurge via spiga hobo bag. I got it at a discount store. The leather is very soft.

Then I saved up a few years later for a structured coach bag. Now I have some more. I am a purse-a-holic. I still wouldn't mind a Kelly bag. But that is way out of budget. I get a couple of nicer purses a year. I find they tend to hold up longer than the cheap ones. But most importantly, I only get the bags that match my style. No mater what the price.

I do buy cheapy bags that are trendy or for limited occasions. I don't expect them to last so I don't splurge. My daily workhorse bags tend to be nicer.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:59 AM

633 posts, read 1,734,871 times
1) what is "Coach" ? Is it a famous american brand?
2) I could afford buying real expensive handbags, such as Louis Vuitton, Chanel and others. But i am a fake handbag buyer in Thailand and own about 10 fake handbags ( Gucci, Prada, Chanel, Louis Vuitton). I know that this "FAKE" business ruins sometimes the companies, but:

Some of them own factories in China / Japan / India and produce their bags in this countries where bad paid people are working. I am sure, that much of the "FAKE BAGS" are produced in the authentic brand factorys, maybe hidden, and nobody knows about the "over production".
When i bought some bags in Thailand the salesman told me that he could show me one of the original factorys!
I also read in the internet that Louis Vuitton is going to produce bags in ROMANIA. A very poor country too. The richest man in France!!! is opening up a business in romania. Do you really want to know how much are your 1000+ LV handbag manufacturing costs???

What i want to say is just i would never pay 2000$ or more for a handbag which is made or manufactured for 50 Dollar or less. I like nice handbags. Yes. But owning a high priced handbag is in these days and years not a sign of wealthiness or smthg like that. Same with the shoes ( Jimmy Choo, ...) Who the hell pays 200+ for a pair of flipflops with a print "LV" on the sole which nobody ever can see??? The people spending that amout of money for such "bull****" should rather send the money to AFRICA or HAITI!!!!!

Old 12-26-2012, 11:16 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,684,356 times
I don't care about handbags one way of the other because I feel silly carrying them. I own just one and only carry it when necessary. I leave it in the car whenever possible.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:03 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,190 times
I thought only teenagers carried Coach purses?

Old 12-26-2012, 05:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
I'm sort of surprised about all this love for Coach. They are a horrible value in terms of quality. So lowend. You're much better off spending more money for an LV if you want quality and value.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
I thought only teenagers carried Coach purses?
Teenagers may start off with the logo bags, but Coach has a wide range of bags including the canvas logoes bags and tons of leather options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm sort of surprised about all this love for Coach. They are a horrible value in terms of quality. So lowend. You're much better off spending more money for an LV if you want quality and value.
Not in my book. I don't want a coated canvas bag, and I don't plan on paying $4k for a bag either. There are a zillion classic leather Coach bags every year, and they have excellent warranty/customer service. Since they will repair your bag for free or for a nominal fee, they are probably the best option for the price range. Kate Spade and Michael Kors have more limited warranties or service options.

The Coach bags I have haven't had a problem in terms of longevity, although compared with the bags of old, they aren't as good. Considering I know quite of few people with 20-30 year old Coach bags walking around, they can't be all that low quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty