Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 12:02 PM

4,491 posts, read 4,992,766 times

Advertisements

Just escaped under 125.00
Bought foundation, primer skin care, 4 eyeshadows, got 1 free lipstick at MAC
Do you generally trust those women/men at the counters with their choices for you?
What kind of training/education do they get? Are the commissions good on what they sell you?
Do you chose them based on what their face makeup looks like.
I have to say the best makeup consultation I received was from a young man!!
Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,923,038 times
I am iffy. I find that your mileage may vary. Some makeup counters will try to sell you stuff even though they don't really have the right colors for you.

I also, unfortunately attract the makeup artists that want to experiment on someone that has more melanin. So they like to try fun things like orange eyeshadow and grey lipstick.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:39 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,788,992 times
I have only bought Clinique face wash from one of those counters. I don't like them, I feel they are pushy and are far more interested in making a sale than helping me. I buy most of my makeup at Sephora where they will help me as much or as little as I wish.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,857,480 times
Makeup counters are designed to sell you product. Don't kid yourself that there are real "makeup artists" at MAC. Don't get me wrong-- there are some folks with skills-- but they are there to move product. Most counters work on a salary plus commission structure, MAC didn't used to, but it may now.

If you really want someone to take some time with you, take aside someone who has worked with you in the past and offer *them* that $125 to tell you what to really use. Most of the people who work at these counters do makeup on the side for weddings, portraits, television, etc. If you look in their kits, you will see a VARIETY of products-- not just stuff from a single line. Let them see pictures of things you like, hear more about your lifestyle, and make recommendations that they aren't allowed to make in the store where they are supposed to sell mainly (if not entirely) from one line.

I did makeup in a large swanky retailer when I got out of college and was a rare one who didn't care about sales, therefore I usually had the highest sales. I really tried to find the best thing for my customers, whether or not it was my product. And I had a healthy business on the side doing makeup.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:10 PM

Great insight confusedasusual!!

Old 11-28-2012, 02:38 AM

877 posts, read 2,014,501 times
They gave you a free lipstick?! How?

I rarely trust them sometimes because it may look appealing and nice in stores but once you go outside, it may look wrong. I've bought stuff from the MAC counter before and they usually push a lot of things on me. The first 2 years, I was gullible and LOVED MAC so I was like, "okay!". Now that I actually don't like MAC as much, I know when to refuse. They usually try to sell you with words like "smooth, moisturizing, has this formula, etc." don't buy it.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
They gave you a free lipstick?! How?

I rarely trust them sometimes because it may look appealing and nice in stores but once you go outside, it may look wrong. I've bought stuff from the MAC counter before and they usually push a lot of things on me. The first 2 years, I was gullible and LOVED MAC so I was like, "okay!". Now that I actually don't like MAC as much, I know when to refuse. They usually try to sell you with words like "smooth, moisturizing, has this formula, etc." don't buy it.
Sounds familiar I just switched after 2 years of MAC and went to dermablend and sheisedo.
If you turn in 6 empty or used MAC containers you get a free lipstick of your choice.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:38 AM

877 posts, read 2,014,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Sounds familiar I just switched after 2 years of MAC and went to dermablend and sheisedo.
If you turn in 6 empty or used MAC containers you get a free lipstick of your choice.
Ohhh..I thought you meant buying so much, they gave you a free one!

Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 AM

22,382 posts, read 29,497,078 times
I just walk into MAC and point out what I want and buy it. They love to see me walk in, lol.

I very rarely get my makeup done at a beauty store. If I do its for a special event and I look at the womens make up of who works there and whoever I think looks the best, I choose them. Maybe once a year this happens..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty