Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 AM

355 posts, read 1,116,138 times

Advertisements

Any of the shades Bruno Mars is wearing here: Bruno Mars Glasses | PHOTO-BUGS.com

I also despise the moccasin wannabes that are out there. They're fugly. Shop Mens, Womens, Childrens Moccasins - The Moccasin Shop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 04:20 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,661,262 times
Peep toe lace up high heeled booties.

The absolute least functional shoe possible, excepting only clear 6" platforms.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,135,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
Leggings as pants
This, this, this! A thousand times this! Leggings/tights as pants are obscene. I am eagerly awaiting for the day this trend dies.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:07 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,552,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Peep toe lace up high heeled booties.

The absolute least functional shoe possible, excepting only clear 6" platforms.
Yes, these need to go.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,843,573 times
There are a few things, but a lot of trends depend on the person wearing the item; some people should jsut not wear stuff no matter how fashionable it is, example is skinny jeans on a fat person.

For general trends I would liek to see go away:

- The eight year old girl as a 21 year old woman and looking for a guy look.
- skinny jeans on a guy, the whole accessorized, hipster, or what ever look that some guys have.
- The whole ghetto hip-hop look, mainly the sagging pants and wearing three or four shirts at the same time in roder to make them selves look like they have more muscle.
- Layering tops or what ever it is women do, when they will wear three different shirts at the same time.
- It is possible to sew pants the right length, no need to wear them too long where they drag on the ground.
- Hats being worn sideways, I think that got old quick, and refer back to accessorized guys.
- Men t-shirts on women, looks ridiculous.

One thing I do not understand is the criticism towards guys wearing shorts and sandals.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:08 PM

6,481 posts, read 6,691,285 times
For those of you who included capris on your list, I am curious why you dislike them. As a woman with the misfortune to have ugly varicose veins, especially behind my knees, capris are a staple in hot weather. No way would I (or SHOULD I) go out in public in shorts. Long pants are hot in 95 degree weather! But capris, or ankle pants, especially with cute shoes or sandals, and I feel like I'm stylin'!!!!

Old 11-09-2012, 02:17 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,325,673 times
Plastic baggies filled with... (phony boobs)
Tattoos (especially on women)
Male manicures & pedicures (disturbing)
Drawn on eyebrows
Fake hair (male & female)
Pants on the ground

Old 11-09-2012, 02:44 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,918,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
For those of you who included capris on your list, I am curious why you dislike them. As a woman with the misfortune to have ugly varicose veins, especially behind my knees, capris are a staple in hot weather. No way would I (or SHOULD I) go out in public in shorts. Long pants are hot in 95 degree weather! But capris, or ankle pants, especially with cute shoes or sandals, and I feel like I'm stylin'!!!!
I think that bled over from another thread we had on older women dressing in ways that make them look even older. Too many middle-aged or mature women rely on capri pants as a wardrobe staple. If they are tall or thin, capris look cute. But if they're like 5'4" and chubby, capris just make them look more stocky, stubby, and "boxy." Especially when they do the capris-with-sneakers thing. If someone "mature" wears capris with shoes and socks, they just look frumpy and old. With heels or ballet flats, they can look stylish, but that also have to be the right length. Too many older women wear capris that are too long, so they just look like floods.

Plus, they aren't just wearing them as a substitute for shorts in summer, which I would understand, but all year round. Then some like to loudly complain that the capris keep them cooler when they have hot flashes. Sorry, but I'm one of those people who are always hot, but it's never my ankles or calves that are hot! There's no way (except mentally) that capris are going to ease someone's hot flash, which is mostly in the upper body.

Anyway that was the back-story on the negative comments about capris. A very nice fashion statement when done right, but one that is done badly way too often.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:50 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,388,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Pea coats. They have been in style way to long.
Bubble Coats.
Army gear. It should only be worn by those in the Army.
Pick up trucks.
sleeveless shirts.

Pea coats have been sold by Brooks Brothers for both men and women as a conservative fashion staple for over 60 years.
Pea coats are not trendy but were simply picked up on by the lower classes for a short time.

To say that Pea coats are a trend is like saying button down oxfords and Bass Weejun penny loafers are a trend where they are actually icons of the well heeled community.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,913,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I think that bled over from another thread we had on older women dressing in ways that make them look even older. Too many middle-aged or mature women rely on capri pants as a wardrobe staple. If they are tall or thin, capris look cute. But if they're like 5'4" and chubby, capris just make them look more stocky, stubby, and "boxy." Especially when they do the capris-with-sneakers thing. If someone "mature" wears capris with shoes and socks, they just look frumpy and old. With heels or ballet flats, they can look stylish, but that also have to be the right length. Too many older women wear capris that are too long, so they just look like floods.

Plus, they aren't just wearing them as a substitute for shorts in summer, which I would understand, but all year round. Then some like to loudly complain that the capris keep them cooler when they have hot flashes. Sorry, but I'm one of those people who are always hot, but it's never my ankles or calves that are hot! There's no way (except mentally) that capris are going to ease someone's hot flash, which is mostly in the upper body.

Anyway that was the back-story on the negative comments about capris. A very nice fashion statement when done right, but one that is done badly way too often.
I think the real problem is, most capris are cut horribly. I saw a woman with super baggy capris the other day, it is very hard to make that look cute. And then there are the horrible ones that are baggy in the thigh and taper at the calves. Or the ones that are tight on the thigh and boot cut at the bottom.

You need to work with your leg and ankle shape carefully. I can't do capris without looking silly, but I can do cigarette pants cut above just above the ankle or bermuda shorts. So I skip those wide legged in between fits, they don't flatter my leg at all (I've got long legs, thick thighs, muscular calves and skinny ankles.)

And then to top it off, most people (who don't look great in the capris) pick the absolutely wrong shoes. Ankle socks + tennis shoes make capris look frumpy on anyone. Just about everyone can do ballet flats or driving shoes with capris...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty