Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,143,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Flab is the new FAB... comes to us all. no worries... we rock girls...

"Flab is the new fab"! Love it!

You rock! \m/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 05:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,734,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
My Dear old Grandma Gemima still looks really good these days. About to turn 45 next week. My mum is only 35. I'm 26.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
45-35=10, 35-26=9. Doubtful.
Gee ya think? Even in print the humor came through in that post.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
I have hard-to-fit feet, so regardless of my age, shoe choices are limited. It would be nice if you could acknowledge what other posters are saying about different body types being hard to fit, and nice clothes being expensive and out of reach, even on sale, for a lot of people. Instead you continue to "toot your own horn" about how attractive you and your family members are, and how nice you dress. I think this whole thread was an excuse for you to do just that.
Hey. I'm tall and I have a hard time finding pants that are long enough for me. Sorry if I didn't mention that before - does that make you feel better?

As for Dillards and Chicos and Nordstrom, maybe this will make you happier:

Most of my Chico clothes come from a good second hand shop - pennies on the dollar ($65 shirts for $8 for example). It's the BRAND that I like, not the STORE. Sheeze, I can't believe I have to spell that out after stating at least once that I SHOP AT GOODWILL often.

In case you're not aware of this, Chicos is MADE TO FIT MIDDLE AGED, IMPERFECT BODIES, which is why that particular brand fits me (and many other middle aged, imperfect women like me) very well.

I never buy ANYTHING from Dillards or Norstroms unless it's marked down considerably. For instance, I just bought some $140 shoes for $20. Is that cheap enough for you? But I'd rather buy good quality clothing at a big discount than new full price clothes at the same price point from WalMart.

I'm a huge believer in bargain shopping, but I'll be damned if I'm going to LOOK like I dug these clothes out of a dumpster. And I love to encourage other women to shop for big sales, or at second hand shops. Oh, and I use coupons any chance I get too, by the way.

You said in a later post that you're sorry if you sound harsh, so let me put your mind to rest. "Harsh" is not the word that sprang to my mind.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
FIRSTLY - a HUGE HUGE THANK YOU to the OP, Ellemint, for posting this WONDERFUL THREAD! I know it started a while back but just found it today. I had been feeling a little low, because I just turned 64 this week and was feeling a bit down about getting older. I too agree that people should be able to dress however they want at any age; the big thing is OWNING IT! I love that there are 80 + year olds still active and taking an interest in how they look. No matter what a body type is, everyone can look their best. I know I feel SO much better when I dress nice to go anywhere, no matter where it is. Not that it has to be fancy. I live in Florida, and my personal style is the "Aloha" look - Hawaiian style dresses and clothing.

The thing that was getting me down the most about getting older is the fact that the last couple years my arms have started that "crepey" look and is progressing rapidly. My face looks very young fortunately, no lines and while my skin has a few spots here and there, overall it is luminous and I have nice eyes. I am tall and mostly toned. The arms thing bothers me so much because being in Florida I need to dress sleeveless almost all year. But after reading this thread, I am grateful for the looks I DO still have, and I am going to do all I can to keep myself up all the rest of my life!

Lastly, I agree with everyone who feels that it is inner radiance, beauty and confidence that is what makes a woman beautiful. Dressing nice just shows everyone else she cares about herself.
I love this post! I hate my upper arms so I can really relate as well. You know what - do you even NOTICE other people's arms, or do you notice their skin and their eyes? I bet we worry a lot more about our own imperfections than necessary - hopefully no one else notices! LOL

Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Well, sorry if I sounded harsh, but my reps tell me I'm not the only one with the same thought. I wonder if some people expect to see a woman in line at the food pantry dressed in flattering designer clothes. Or maybe some people have more important things to spend their time and money on.
I've stood in a line at the food pantry before, and I was probably wearing something very nice that I bought at a second hand store at the time.

HEALTH and HAPPINESS are the keys to maintaining our looks, not money. It's very possible to be radiantly happy on a tight budget - even on food stamps or WIC, or in line at the food pantry.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:30 PM

I can't rep several of you again, but thanks, by the way, for your thoughtful remarks.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I want to respectfully remind you that this thread is about appearance and beauty in the "older" woman. It isn't about priorities or how we might decide how to spend our time. You could start a thread about your concerns. I am sure you would receive some interesting posts.
The attitude that came through with some posters is that there is little or no excuse for not looking good at an older age. I'm just saying there is an excuse. Not everyone has the time or money to get their hair done, faces waxed, and generally "keep up" their appearances. It is the "look at me! I do it!" that I find obnoxious. The photos in the OP and a few after are not your typical 50, 60, or 70 year old women. They are the exception, not the rule.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 10-03-2013 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: typo.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:36 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,233,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey. I'm tall and I have a hard time finding pants that are long enough for me. Sorry if I didn't mention that before - does that make you feel better?
Most of my Chico clothes come from a good second hand shop - pennies on the dollar ($65 shirts for $8 for example). It's the BRAND that I like, not the STORE. Sheeze, I can't believe I have to spell that out after stating at least once that I SHOP AT GOODWILL often.
Quote:
I've stood in a line at the food pantry before, and I was probably wearing something very nice that I bought at a second hand store at the time.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS are the keys to maintaining our looks, not money. It's very possible to be radiantly happy on a tight budget - even on food stamps or WIC, or in line at the food pantry.
I can understand you trying to educate women about saving money and tips on shopping, that's great.
However, by saying health and happiness are keys to our looks you are making a generalization based
on your own criteria as well as being judgmental. The standards for beauty and youth on women and
girls are continually changing and most can't live up to those unrealistic expectations.
Looks are not everything and anyone who thinks so is very shallow.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times
BTW, I shop at thrift stores too. That is one piece of it. There are a lot of other pieces, like a person's weight and their shape; As I mentioned before, the cost and time of grooming. Good make up isn't cheap. How about dental work? That is very expensive. There are a lot of happy people who don't give a fig what they look like, or what kind of clothes they wear, or what people think. They aren't happy in spite of that. They are happy because of that.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,202,570 times
Quote:

Actually this is true. I have volunteered at a food pantry, and I noticed that some of our clients managed themselves very well. Others not so much. Just like any other group of women you might single out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty