Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 10:29 AM

4,973 posts, read 3,334,932 times

Advertisements

while I do like viewing some of the high end bags just to look at them , I would not buy one ,
for a very reasonable price of 59 euro I have a new real calfs leather bag classic style ( no name on it
and I do not like names on things I wear )
this bag will last my lifetime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 11:43 AM

10,624 posts, read 12,170,122 times
Whether handbags or clothes or housewares....I shop at a price point I'm comfortable with (and think most people do).

A person who makes 30-thousand, more than likely isn't shopping at -- or comfortable with the price point of an LV, Celine, Coach, Dooney, Balenciaga, Burburry, etc. If you make 100-thou plus clearly you might be able to buy at the higher price points, because you may have more money available to do that.

As the daughter of a depression-baby at my current salary those designer bags are out of the question. BUT -- if I won't the lottery for 20 million -- can I say I would NEVER treat myself to a bag that cost that much -- no. I don't think I'd ever be comfortable REGULARLY shopping at those stores -- but a 'one or two time only....I might. I would still have to LOVE the bag though, it'd still have to be the cross body style I like with the features I like.

As an aside, I'm fairly well traveled, and educated, but because of the price point I shopped at -- I'd never even HEARD OF Coach, and Dooney and Bourke, until I met a person who became my friend who shopping at that level. Never heard of Hermes (or Jimmy Choo and Christian Louboutin) until the TV show "Sex and the City." Just as I'd never heard of Ghurka and Goyard until someone mentioned them here. But I've looked them up an now I know.

Last edited by selhars; 10-28-2012 at 11:51 AM..

Old 10-28-2012, 08:25 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,060,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have nothing against high quality or beauty, nor do I wish to police how much others spend for things. I am saying that, for me, when I can find high quality and beauty at TJ Maxx, it's like finding good $10. wine. It's no big accomplishment to find a good $1000. purse, or a good $200 bottle of wine.

Another thing I find ugly about this subject (this has nothing to do with you, Importerswife, but I just thought of it) is that designer bags conjure up some pampered spendthrift trophy wife, squandering some poor overworked husband's money for no reason.
I see your point, but what about the single women who bought the purses themselves?

I'm not even in the high end category, but for people who can truly afford such expensive items, the $200 wine is the equivalent to someone else's $10 wine. It's not a bad thing--just a different scale.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:32 PM

840 posts, read 1,149,698 times
I like Burberry bags but other than that, I don't care for designer handbag with logos. I'm really more into styles. Most of my bags are under $100. If it gets dirty or damaged somehow, I don't feel as bad when I junk it.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:28 AM

467 posts, read 665,945 times
I just bought a fake Birkin. Looks just like the real thing.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:13 PM

110 posts, read 212,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
eww gross

Old 10-30-2012, 11:30 PM

10,624 posts, read 12,170,122 times
Quote:
If it's a FAKE Birkin I believe you'e just admitted to buying pirated and counterfeit merchandise. (Don't know if the buying is illegal, but the selling definitely is.)

Perhaps you meant to say it's a bag that's 'inspired' by an Hermes Birkin bag.,,.yes that's what you meant to say, isn't it?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:16 AM

571 posts, read 1,203,005 times
I love high-end handbags: Dolce & Gabbana is my absolute favorite. Some others: Dior, Gucci, Fendi, Balenciaga, LV.

It's interesting how judgmental people are about something as simple as handbags. The amount someone spends on handbags is totally individual. Some people spend a lot on perfume, others spend a lot on haircuts, facials, organic food, concert tickets, museums, restaurants, whatever floats your boat. As a simple example, I probably only spend $20 a year on hair care. I have long hair that's pretty healthy (because I don't do much to it) and people assume I spend tons on my hair. I found a gorgeous Chanel bag at a resale store (ahhhh, the leather is so beautiful and altho it is a classic style the workmanship is amazing).

According to several posters, they'd scoff at seeing someone walking around with a Chanel (how dumb for someone to spend so much money on a simple bag). Heck, it could have been a hand-me-down from my grandma, for all people know. Who cares?

But back to the topic of high-end handbags. The reason I've come to really love them is I love the quality and style. They usually stand the test of time and hold their value.

One one rare occasion, I bought a beautiful patent bag at Nordstroms (no name). A year later when I tried to resell it, it went for peanuts, simply because it didn't hold it's value. I also had a Fendi baguette that ended up being too small and I sold it for higher than what I purchased it. I've never lost money on a designer bag.

I understand that many people aren't into buying and selling bags and they're more functional than fashion statements. I view cars this way: I want a car to be reliable and get me around - I don't care how rare or expensive it is.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:11 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,677,632 times
For me, I would fear paying a lot for a bag because I am not kind to my bags. My Coach bags get dirty and scuffed from everyday use. I try to clean them, but haven't figured out how to do a good job yet. So until I "grow up" and learn to take care of my things, I don't deserve true high end bags, lol.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:39 AM

15,550 posts, read 10,541,353 times
I'm really into good looking handbags. I would be a shoe nut, but they always wind up being uncomfortable. I may be wearing Reef flip flops but at least I'm carrying a nice bag (I know, call the fashion police). My favorite purse of all time was a Fendi, I paid a small fortune for it. They are so high now I'll never have another one. I'm currently using a Gianni Bini camel hobo, which I have really enjoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty