Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:45 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,809,718 times

Advertisements

I don't like my voice when I hear it played back either. I've been told my voice is sexy, and I sound like a young woman though I'm in my early 60's.
When I hear my voice I just think I sound nasal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,960,350 times
Omg, I love my voice! I could spend hours just hearing myself talk. heh heh heh.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:33 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,438,936 times
Default Voice

I am a native southerner and I do a lot of volunteer work as a docent (tour guide). I am also a good public speaker.

It is so funny. When I lived in Atlanta the past eight years people from different parts of the country would say I sounded like Paula Dean. I absolutely do not sound like Paula Dean. Love her cooking and personality, but Paula is from south Georgia and I would never talk like that. I have always lived in either the Atlanta area, northwest Georgia or Tennessee.

Some people say I sound like Dixie Carter. To me that is a high compliment. I don't think I sound that good but it's something to shoot for!

Anyway, I do like my voice. I sound like the southerner I am but it is pleasant and easy to understand. I also connect easily with people and keep their attention. It is so gratifying to see the interest in the eyes of the people I talk with. I am extremely thankful that I have the ability to do this because I love people and love my volunteer work.

I have been a docent at the Georgia Governor's Mansion and the Marietta Georgia Christmas Pilgrimage. I am also an art museum docent and will be one at the Tennessee Aquarium in a few weeks.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:00 PM

10,228 posts, read 16,363,261 times
Don't like my voice at all. It's dorky. Always wished I had Jane Fonda's or Liz Taylor's voice.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:13 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,563,088 times
I remember the first time I heard my voice was as a kids when we got a small reel to reel player. I recorded my voice and was very surprised how my voice sounded. To me it sounds different than when I hear it elsewhere. For a female I have a lower voice. My sister and I sound nearly alike. In high school her best friend called once and I answered. Right away she thought it was y sister, so I went along with it and had this whole conversation with her before my sister showed up and figured out what I was doing lol.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:23 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,588,919 times
I absolutely hate the sound of my own voice.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:21 AM

840 posts, read 1,153,841 times
I definitely hate the way my voice sounds on recording device. It makes me sound young, unsure, gullible and lacking in gravitas.

Off recording devices, I'm alright with the way my voice sounds though I tend to be very soft spoken. I do have a slight accent due to my Cantonese background and sometimes I do get very monoton-ish.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:47 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,504,938 times
"Who's your Daddy?!"....I have a little girl voice...high pitched, with an odd Southern Utah accent...sort of Western farm girl. At my age, people on the phone think I am about 12.

If nothing else...my voice is distinctive. Most people recognize my voice, right off. Oddly,, my daughter has a throaty, low pitched, "smoker", voice...gritty, she sounded like a heavy chain smoker by age 10...complete opposite of me.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:11 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,613,412 times
I don't think twice when I hear myself talking, but absolutely despise hearing recordings of it as it sounds quite high-pitched and awkward.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:58 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,876,569 times
Your voice will always sound different to you than when you hear it played back, because when you're actually speaking, you hear it through the resonating chambers of your own skull, sinuses, etc. It's a completely unique experience, specific to only you. The way it sounds on a recording is the way it sounds to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty