Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:03 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,100 times

Advertisements

We have all heard the saying... If you want to see what your woman will look like when she is older just look at her mom.

Do women "really" end up looking like their Mother? Is that the beauty measuring stick they should have? what if they dont look anything like their mother... will it still be true? Do they inherit their mother's shape... What if a woman is skinny but her mom is fat does that mean she will be fat one day and it's jus a matter of time? What if vice versa... What if the mom is skinny and the daughter is fat will the daughter get skinny?

Should the daughter end up looking better than the mother? If the daughter does not end up looking better is that a bad thing? Like, does that set the beauty back a generation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 03:18 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,917,068 times
My wife has her father's characteristics (dark hair, brown eyes) as opposed to her mother's 9blondish hair, blue eyes).

Old 09-19-2012, 06:47 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,225 times
Habits and lifestyle come into play.

If the mother was always thin because she was an outdoors kinda girl but her daughter doesn't live like that...they are not going to look the same.

If the mother never tanned but the daughter is an addict of the sun...yadda yadda yadda.

Some mother may age poorly due to health issues that the daughter may not have or vice versa.

With the fat thing that can happen for a lot of reasons. Thryoid can trigger that from childbirth or just can happen on its own. Otherwise you wont get fat unless you act fat. That means overeating and not being active.
The older you get the less you move and weight creeps on. Plus with age and hormonal changes at a certain point in life change stages will add to the gaining issue.

I have my grandmothers (mother) shape and my other grandmothers (father) curly hair, frame size and features.
But I am 6 inches taller than them both. LOL
Yet two inches shorter than my mother....Go figure!

Old 09-19-2012, 01:33 PM

My wife's mother and sisters look nothing alike... they are all completely different! The only thing they have in common is height and complexion. They all have different features and shapes. Their hair is even different. It's completely weird to me. I don't know if I should be looking at my mother-in-law for what my wife will look like in 30 years?

We have 2 girls of our own... and they do not favor a lot either. Their builds are different. One looks like my wife and one looks me. I try to imagine what my girls will look like in 15 years and I just can't visualize it.

Boys are so much easier... you can look at them and see the father and you kinda know what they will look like.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:52 PM

840 posts, read 1,146,963 times
I should hope so since I'm better than she is in terms of caring for myself and I got better products. I take after my dad side of the family so I really should be looking at my aunt. . My mother looks a bit weather beaten but still youthful looking in her ways for her age.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
My wife's mother and sisters look nothing alike... they are all completely different! The only thing they have in common is height and complexion. They all have different features and shapes. Their hair is even different. It's completely weird to me. I don't know if I should be looking at my mother-in-law for what my wife will look like in 30 years?

We have 2 girls of our own... and they do not favor a lot either. Their builds are different. One looks like my wife and one looks me. I try to imagine what my girls will look like in 15 years and I just can't visualize it.

Boys are so much easier... you can look at them and see the father and you kinda know what they will look like.
I don't look like my mom at all. She is a darker woman(she is black) and 5ft 6. I'm light(I'm multiracial). My hair is finer than her's and we different shapes. She is athletic and slim, and has a straight up and down type of body. She had three girls and one son. The youngest is 4ft11 and has her build and shape, but carries more fat in the top half(which she gets from my dad) and she is lighter than my mom, her facial features are similar to my mom. The second middle girl(my other sister) is slim, but has more curves(though she isn't VERY curvy, but she has distinctive curves) and she is actually only slightly lighter than my mother(complexion wise), her facial features resemble my grandmas and fathers. And like my youngest sister, if she gains weight, it always happens in the upper half(stomach and chest, and arms). I'm probably the exception, in that out of all of them I'm the most different look-wise from everyone, when it comes to body, shape, and facial features. While my mom and sisters are all slim, I've always had thick legs(since I was a toddler lol)and I'm the curviest, I have the biggest hips, etc. Unlike my sisters, most of my weight gain goes to my bottom half, whereas my top half tends to be the slimmer part of me(flatter stomach, average chest, slimmer arms, etc). So if someone were trying to look at me and my sisters and compare us to my mom, it'd be difficult since we all look different, have different shapes, etc. And if someone saw me and saw my sisters and my mom(who happen to all be thin and slim), they'd be like--why are you thick? LOL. I don't even eat differently, and they eat more than me.

I have a son, who is 1, and his looks--well it's so hard to say. At first he looked like me. But then for a while he was looking like my "so". But now? He doesn't look like either one of us--maybe a combo? People constantly mistake my son for a girl(ouch) because he has prettier features(his eyebrows for instance look feminine, so people always say that his eyebrows look like mine), he has huge eyes with long eyelashes(gets that from my so), he has dimples in his cheeks(which we don't know where he gets it from) and he's very thin(like my so was as a kid) etc. I can't tell how he will look as a teen. But I'm thinking he might lean more toward my "so" lookwise. I'm glad I don't have a daughter, honestly, if I did I would hope she takes from my "so" weight-wise.

Last edited by sunkisses87; 09-19-2012 at 02:06 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
I'm glad I don't have a daughter, honestly, if I did I would hope she takes from my "so" weight-wise.
Lol... Are u serious?

Well it does sound like you have an eclectic background going on. I'm sure that contributes to the difference in the look between your sisters and mother. My oldest daughter is going to in your boat as far as big the thickeror curvier out of my girls. So it interesting to hear some insight into that. I worry sometimes her because she is different looking than her mother (body, shape, and complexion). Her face is just like her... Lol

my mother has 4 sisters and they only look similar in pairs... 2 favor my grandfather and 2 favor my grandmother. So you just never know I guess.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 09-19-2012 at 04:59 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Lol... Are u serious?

Well it does sound like you have an eclectic background going on. I'm sure that contributes to the difference in the look between your sisters and mother. My oldest daughter is going to in your boat as far as big the thickeror curvier out of my girls. So it interesting to hear some insight into that. I worry sometimes her because she is different looking than her mother (body, shape, and complexion). Her face is just like her... Lol

my mother has 4 sisters and they look similar in pairs... 2 favor my grandfather and 2 favor my grandmother you just never know I guess.
I am serious. I would rather be thin, and have always wanted to be thin. So if I had a daughter I would want her to be thin, my so is slim and athletic, so I would hope she would get a build similar to his, rather than mine.

It's hard especially now, when my sisters come into town because they both are thin, and I get irritated and jealous since I work hard to lose weight, and they don't... But maybe your daughter will be different from me. I know a lot of black girls, that love being thick, and would rather be thick than thin--seems like thicker black girls get more attention from bm as well(not that you'd be happy about that). So in that way maybe she'll like being thick.

And yep you never know who will take after who. Supposedly I take after a great great grandmother lol.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
I am serious. I would rather be thin, and have always wanted to be thin. So if I had a daughter I would want her to be thin, my so is slim and athletic, so I would hope she would get a build similar to his, rather than mine.

It's hard especially now, when my sisters come into town because they both are thin, and I get irritated and jealous since I work hard to lose weight, and they don't... But maybe your daughter will be different from me. I know a lot of black girls, that love being thick, and would rather be thick than thin--seems like thicker black girls get more attention from bm as well(not that you'd be happy about that). So in that way maybe she'll like being thick.

And yep you never know who will take after who. Supposedly I take after a great great grandmother lol.
certainly not... but you are absolutely right in them giving more attention toward the thicker girls. So i guess you are saying YOU got and get all the attention from BM, huh? Lol... Not that I want my daughter to not get attention or be ugly or anything, but I prefer it happen once she's grown and out the house. I tell her all the time I don't want her to get older... I want her to stay a kid. ;-)

It's going to be interesting to see how it shakes out. The other thing is my wife is workout fanatic so her thinness is not all natural. And she is one of those weirdos that got skinnier after having kids. I thought she was going to thicken up... Lol. So if my daughter is not going to be into working out like that she is probably going to end up much thicker anyway naturally. I just hope she doesn't want to compare herself to her mother or her sister.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
certainly not... but you are absolutely right in them giving more attention toward the thicker girls. So i guess you are saying YOU got and get all the attention from BM, huh? Lol... Not that I want my daughter to not get attention or be ugly or anything, but I prefer it happen once she's grown and out the house. I tell her all the time I don't want her to get older... I want her to stay a kid. ;-)

It's going to be interesting to see how it shakes out. The other thing is my wife is workout fanatic so her thinness is not all natural. And she is one of those weirdos that got skinnier after having kids. I thought she was going to thicken up... Lol. So if my daughter is not going to be into working out like that she is probably going to end up much thicker anyway naturally. I just hope she doesn't want to compare herself to her mother or her sister.
My mother is a workout fanatic as well. But she is also genetically thin. Working out just helps her lean out.

Yeah I do get a lot of attention from BM, out all of us(my sisters and me) I get the most attention. But I grew up in a mostly white area, so I think that is probably why I really wanted to be thin(since most of the girls I went to school with were thin).

How did your wife lose weight after having kids? Did she breast feed, or just change her eating habit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty