Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:54 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,128 times

Advertisements

Where is a good place to buy *real* good quality clothing. There are many expensive stores that one would assume is good quality but just aren't.

To me quality means something will last at least 5 years but it would be great if it could last a lifetime or more.

I recently went to Old Navy and to my surprise I fell in love with a few new styles/colors. I brought them home and although I'm not sure if they are going to stand the test of time I want to keep them.

So where can one go to buy good quality clothing on a budget?

Anything from cold-weather clothing, basics, casuals, business casual, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 09:00 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,574 times
Kohls has decent quality clothing...also some brands at Macy's aren't that expensive.

My sister is pretty frugal and she gets her work clothes from JCPenney.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:24 PM

210 posts, read 1,170,300 times
You can get high-quality clothing inexpensively at TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Burlington Coat Factory, Ross, Stein Mart, Chico's, Nordstrom Rack, Dress Barn, and Loehmann's.

You can also get some terrific deals at Overstock.com.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:47 AM

80 posts, read 222,175 times
I know what you're feeling!!

I've had good luck with clothing I've bought at the GAP. I always shop clearance or the GAP outlet, tho. It has held up well over time.

Express also has served me well for business clothes, but we don't have one around here any more and I have to find it at discount stores.

I like Old Navy for casual wear, however most of what I've bought there has been jersey type fabric and it has a tendancy to fade, even when washed in cold water and not put in the dryer. I still like and wear several pieces (tunics, maxi dress, and t-shirt) that I've bought there.

Aeropostale is also good for casual wear. They have 50% sales often.

I always wash my clothes in cold water, and no dryer.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:32 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,128 times
hmm...so this sounds good. There are places that sell sort of inexpensive clothes that are good quality. I'm still wondering if I should keep the old navy sweaters and cardigan I bought. They are really cute but I don't want to keep something that will look worn out or fall apart by the end of the season.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:31 AM

734 posts, read 932,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
hmm...so this sounds good. There are places that sell sort of inexpensive clothes that are good quality.
I love spiegel.com, as well as purchasing dirt-cheap clearance/sale items from Zara, Macys, Banana Republic and Anne Taylor's Loft.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
hmm...so this sounds good. There are places that sell sort of inexpensive clothes that are good quality. I'm still wondering if I should keep the old navy sweaters and cardigan I bought. They are really cute but I don't want to keep something that will look worn out or fall apart by the end of the season.
I have had about 70% good luck with Old Navy cardigans. I have a ton of them. Many are several years old. I wash most clothes delicate and air dry some.

I have also had similar success with the most of sweaters. (Haven't bought a regular sweater in a couple of years though)

A couple have pilled a little bit. But the ones I have from banana republic are actually crappier. The gap ones tend to be thinner. So keep the cardigans. I find that t-shirts stretch out a lot. Workout clothes from ON last a while. And other stuff is hit or miss. I have some pants from 10 years ago that still look great. And other ones that fell apart. I have had pretty good luck with dresses holding up. But bad luck finding dresses there that are cut well.

Oh I also have loads of cardigans from Target (Merona) these are also great. I even still have one floating around from at least 10 years ago. A black one. Only minimally faded. One day I was wearing one of them, and a woman says I have the same cardigan. I replied "Thanks, I love Target." She said "Oh I got mine at J. Crew." :P

I go to Target or ON to grab cardigans in all of the fun colors of the season! In fact, I bought a cardi from ON this spring (grey with neon yellow trim, slightly boxy shape). I am a little sad I dropped a size, because now its too big. I got so many compliments on it. I guess I'll give it too my sister.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
You can get high-quality clothing inexpensively at TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Burlington Coat Factory, Ross, Stein Mart, Chico's, Nordstrom Rack, Dress Barn, and Loehmann's.

You can also get some terrific deals at Overstock.com.
True dat.

Don't forget - RESALE SHOPS. Even Goodwill! I've found MANY excellent items in such stores.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Are you serious?

Just wear them until they start looking worn out. Sheeze.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:42 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,397 times
Old Navy does not have good quality clothing IMO. It's very cheaply made and often looks cheap. I only get exercise clothes and basic tees from there. Matter of fact I just spent about $60 dollar on 3 pairs of yoga pants, and 4 basic tee shirts to go with the pants, but I'd never get anything beyond workout clothes from there. I think it's hard these days to find inexpensive clothing that goes a long way. I've found that even at stores that cost a little more (i.e. Macy for instance) the clothes don't last that long. Therefore I shop at places where I know the clothes may not last as long but are so inexpensive that it won't matter. I rarely wear the same wardrobe over a year anyway(for seasonal purposes). I typically shop at Forever21 for inexpensive clothing that will last a season before being thrown away. But I also shop at Macy's(you can look through their clearance section), Gap has good quality jeans(that's my go to store for long-lasting jeans). And then the rest of the stores I shop at would be considered higher-end but the clothing lasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty