Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,754,151 times

Advertisements

But why ascribe a particular motive to me when I have not said anything about any one girl, except Jordyn Wieber and her smooth ponytail?

Last edited by JustJulia; 08-08-2012 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: bah, never mind with the second comment.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,340,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Yes, I'm here sharing opinions. I'm not doing extensive research on what others in the media have said about gymnasts' hair; I just gave my opinion. I can form my opinion without reading what people in the media have as their opinion. Sorry, I didn't know I had to read Cosmo and Salon.com before posting my opinion.
I don't read those sites either, but I do read the newspaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
But why ascribe a particular motive to me when I have not said anything about any one girl, except Jordyn Wieber and her smooth ponytail?
Who said I was ascribing it to you? I just said this was your thread.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:00 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,932,197 times
I don't read newspapers. They are outdated by the time they come out, and really a dead medium, so I get all my news online. And when I read news, I'm looking at important things, not hair controversies.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 AM

42,000 posts, read 75,335,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
And the person around whom most of the media's "Hairgate" discussions have revolved is Gabby Douglas.
Not in this thread; start your own if you want to talk about specific gymnasts. No one here is doing that, or even talking about a specific nation's gymnasts.

The sloppy pony-bun knows no national boundaries.

Quote:
I'm a jerk for bringing up a discussion point that's been dealt with extensively in the media but is conspicuously absent from this debate, but it's OK to denigrate the incredible accomplishments of our U.S. gymnasts because you think their HAIR is SLOPPY?
Your words, not anyone else's.

I am reading no denigration of the girls' talent or accomplishments; not in this thread. Try again.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:02 AM

Ah, so "would people be making such a big deal about Gabby's hair" was referring to other people, not anybody here? And the "gorilla in the room" is not this thread but again referring to other people in general? I misunderstood, sorry.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:02 AM

It seems like the one poster has read a lot of hair controversey elsewhere, and is now blaming a few posters in the thread for what all those other people have said. Please, hold us accountable for our own words and opinions, not those of other people "out there."

Old 08-08-2012, 11:10 AM

Also, I congratulate the girls on their performance on the first page, and I think the others on Team Ponytail did as well. Who's denigrating accomplishments? I watched the competition, I noticed the sloppy hair, I posted on City-Data. It's no different from going to a high school graduation or prom and noticing a few girls with messy hair while everyone else looks dressed up.

Several people have said that they don't care or didn't notice, and a few gave some good perspective that times may be changing and why. I appreciate the input. It will be interesting to see, as time goes on, how appearances change in gymnastics and ice skating. Maybe costumes will change radically. Maybe they'll stop with the "presentation" to the judges at the end (the "ta da!" move that they do--you don't see this in other judged sports, like diving).

Old 08-08-2012, 11:17 AM

19,757 posts, read 20,312,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

It seems like the one poster has read a lot of hair controversey elsewhere, and is now blaming a few posters in the thread for what all those other people have said.

Gotta say, the Gabby Douglas ordeal has pretty much spread nationwide at this point...

That's really the only person I've heard about who's been put on blast concerning Olympian hair (elsewhere).

Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
If anyone is interested in sexism in sports, this is a great book.
Amazon.com: The Stronger Women Get, the More Men Love Football: Sexism and the American Culture of Sports (9781567030341): Mariah Burton Nelson: Books

Talks a lot about how women are always judged by their appearance in sports. I would love to see what she has to say about the lingerie football league.

At the end of the day, we have made it really clear what we look for in female athletes. It is OK to be athletic. As long as you are pretty, feminine and pulled together.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 AM

I don't get how some people just jump to concluding it must be racism or sexism. We just think people performing something in front of a large audience should look neat. Men, women, black, white. Most sports cause your hair to get messed up, or they don't have an appearance component to them. Gymnastics does, like it or not. We are not criticizing the women's bodies or attractiveness, just that they looked sloppy in a sport that is really half sport/half art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty