Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 AM

830 posts, read 1,667,587 times

Advertisements

I admit I'm not that picky about facial features. I think I'm harder on women than men about that, and I'm a woman. As long as I can remember I have HATED overbites and those weird mouths where the top lip doesn't seem to fit the lower lip and the top lip kind of sticks out and curls up, especially when the mouth is opened...OK I'm sorry I'm not better at describing that. And I can't stand noses that stick up at the end, be they the stereotypical snob-girl nose or the large, round, pig-like nose. Also hate the large-forehead-small-eye-small-nose combination, short jawlines and turkey necks. That sounds like I'm picky but I don't really think I am... Features that people commonly dislike don't bother me, such as thin vs. thick lips, big noses, bushy eyebrows, bad teeth, big vs. little ears, moles or birthmarks, asymetry, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:20 AM

13 posts, read 50,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
You're crazy, she was still hot even with the short butch hair

Well...She was a little bit younger back in '78, too...

I think Jamie Lee Curtis is a public benefactor, for encouraging old(er) women to get short, clipped cuts rather than getting short, permed, Edith Bunker "cap of curls" atrocities, such as were ubiquitous when I was a little girl.

Why did older women get those cuts? Sometimes it was for trying to make thinning hair look thicker, but a lot did it automatically, because they thought curled hair "gently framed" the face, and "softened" facial features . It "softens", all right : If a woman has a pudgy face from age, weight gain, has a low bridge/flat nose (as many women get from age, regardless of what their nose looked when younger : I think that's called "saddle nose"; it's because the bridge softens and lowers with age), has a receding chin, especially with a pudgy neck...These "softening " short, permed cuts "soften" a woman's face into a flesh colored blob! Older women without harsh features-hawk noses, thrusting chins, lantern jaws-tend to look better with Jamie Lee cuts rather than Edith Bunker frizzy mops.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:17 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,730,327 times
Teeth are mandatory.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:16 PM

395 posts, read 707,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm probably going to sound racist here, but I used to find very broad noses a bit of a turn off. Same with very small eyes. It's not something I can really help, to be honest. At the same time I could be uber-critcal of my own facial features (they're not too bad but I'm not entirely happy with them).

I guess some of the turn offs:

- too broad, flat nose
- too long nose
- too small eyes
- too thin or thick lips
- a face that is very long or broad
- a very masculine jaw, although it's not too biggie
- having a forehead that is too large

I'm not so hung up on hair/eye colour...I'm not really super picky, but if people are being honest, these things will factor.
Different cultures have their own idea of what attractive is. It's what you've been conditioned to think to a certain extent.

All I'll say is don't box yourself in with these parameters while gettting to know people...b/c you'll miss out on a lot of awesome ppl.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:36 AM

41,990 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Teeth are mandatory.
All of them, or would a missing molar be acceptable?

You just never know what you're going to overlook until you meet a person and fall in love. You can say "I'd never date a guy who didn't have all his teeth" or "I'm not crazy about men with big noses" or "I don't think a guy with a bow-shaped mouth is attractive" ... and then you meet one that is nearly perfect in every other way, and suddenly the missing molar, the big nose and the bow-shaped mouth really don't matter all that much.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:33 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,207,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Teeth are mandatory.
How picky of ya!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,147,977 times
There are 2 things I look for that drive me wild: A nice smile and a nice set of abs. Yum!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:30 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,523,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I wish my eyes were a bit bigger, they aren't small vertically (as in slit like) but are a bit 'short', as in horizontally, and there's a bit of a gap between them. My nose isn't too bad. My head in general is too big, thanks to two big-headed parents. My mother and I suffered a difficult childbirth which may have permanently affected my brain.
Trimac, please post a picture of yourself, and we will all happily critique your facial features.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:33 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,280,891 times
Every guy I ever dated were all different except they all had very nice well taken care of teeth which led to a beautiful smile. The one I married also has a killer sense of humor....

Old 03-30-2012, 05:59 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,311,322 times
I thnk most people have a pet-peeve with certain facial characteristics.

Me, I hate pug noses on males AND females and have for many decades. And it's even worse if they have round or chubby faces with it, because to me it imparts a piggy face.

Real weak chins.

Eyes too close together.

Yucky teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty