Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you get shoes repaired?
I very often get shoes repaired. 3 10.71%
I sometimes get shoes repaired. 8 28.57%
I only rarely get shoes repaired (eg. just in special/certain cases, like expensive ones or ones I've especially liked). 5 17.86%
No, usually get rid of pretty much my shoes when they've seen better days. 12 42.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 07:44 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how common it is for people to repair their shoes, when they show signs of wear or needing repair, or do most people toss them and replace them instead?

I've also wondered if getting shoe repairs is less common than it used to be (eg. shoe repair stores and how many of them are in business now versus in the past) versus chucking those pairs who've seen better days and getting new ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
My husband will get his good shoes resoled and half soled if they are needed because they are expensive.

I have never gotten a pair of shoes repaired because I tend to buy el-cheapos and frankly, they are not repairable.

It is becoming harder and harder to find people who will repair shoes anyway. At least ones who know what they are doing. I suppose if I paid a lot of money for good shoes, I would certainly have them repaired.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-22-2012, 07:58 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,441,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My husband will get his good shoes resoled and half soled if they are needed because they are expensive.

I have never gotten a pair of shoes repaired because I tend to buy el-cheapos and frankly, they are not repairable.

It is becoming harder and harder to find people who will repair shoes anyway. At least ones who know what they are doing. I suppose if I paid a lot of money for good shoes, I would certainly have them repaired.

20yrsinBranson
I agree, and for the same reasons....

Old 03-22-2012, 08:03 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
I wonder why there is a trend towards fewer shoe repair businesses.

Is it because there are more shoes that are cheap now and quickly replaceable? How about the people buying the "good" shoes that last longer -- are there just fewer people buying them (I would think that perhaps there wouldn't be a shortage of people buying more expensive/long-lasting shoes).

Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 PM

356 posts, read 834,465 times
People buy everything "disposable" nowadays. Shoes are just one more example of that trend.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
I get the heels replaced, shoes-resoled or add traction. I've repaired scuffed heels. I've had shoes stretched as well. Only the nicer shoes. As long as they still have enough padding or aren't impossibly scuffed I'll keep taking them to shoe repair. Mostly the dress shoes. It is much harder to salvage flats, so I expect to wear and replace those. I am really sad as my favorite super cheap shoe repair place is closing.

I have quite a few shoes in my collection that are 10+ years old (which is when I started to figure out that I should buy nicer shoes that last longer). The shoe repair guys usually say "hey these are nice shoes."

Old 03-22-2012, 08:31 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,870 times
I did, when we lived in Italy. Cobblers are considered artisans there; not anyone could open a shop to repair shoes. My shoes are very expensive and worth the cost of restoring. Almost everyone I knew in Europe kept their shoes for years and years.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 PM

212 posts, read 375,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I get the heels replaced, shoes-resoled or add traction. I've repaired scuffed heels. I've had shoes stretched as well. Only the nicer shoes. As long as they still have enough padding or aren't impossibly scuffed I'll keep taking them to shoe repair. Mostly the dress shoes. It is much harder to salvage flats, so I expect to wear and replace those.
Ditto. I mostly get heels replaced.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:38 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
I generally wear sneakers until they fall off my feet then I replace them. By then there is nothing left to repair.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
I repair mine b/c I buy good quality shoes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty