Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 02:17 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,153 times

Advertisements

What percentage of people would you consider ; this is what I think

Very attractive-10%
Mildy attractive 10%
Average- 50%
Below average -20%
Ugly-10%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 02:42 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
I would say that the numbers would fit the classic bell curve, with most of us being somewhere in the middle, and few people on the edges, a standard deviation or two above or below the mean.

Normal distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most human traits when studied fall into the bell curve, or "normal distribution."

Old 12-14-2011, 02:59 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I would say that the numbers would fit the classic bell curve, with most of us being somewhere in the middle, and few people on the edges, a standard deviation or two above or below the mean.

Normal distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most human traits when studied fall into the bell curve, or "normal distribution."

That's about ridiculous.....

Old 12-14-2011, 03:34 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
If you look at studies of all kinds of human traits (numerically scored intelligence, numerically-rated attractiveness, etc) you'll end up with the normal curve. So about 68% of the population would fall into the "average" range, being within one standard deviation of the mean (the exact average). then you'll have about 13.6% of people coming up in the range from 1 to 2 standard deviations above the mean (you might consider then rated as "above average" attractiveness), and the same for those between 1-2 standard deviations below the mean (they might be categorized as "below average"). Then you have about 2% of people falling into the "very attractive" or "very unattractive" ranges, being between 2-3 standard deviations from the mean.
Then you have the outliers: about 0.1% of people who are over-the-top attractive and 0.1% who are horribly disfigured.

There might be differences in geographical areas, like NYC or LA, or all of Sweden, you might see a skewed distribution, with more in the "attractive" ranges, but when you balance it out with the population as a whole, it always will end up with the bell curve. Of course you would have to have empirically-rated "attractiveness" as scored by multiple populations of people, so you can account for individual difference in taste & preference.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:34 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,142,825 times
It depends on how you define average.

Does it mean the most common place appearance or an appearance that is dead center between ugly & beautiful (so that it is neither)?

Also, are you using the mean, the median or the mode?

I think when people say "average", they are referring to the median because they mean an appearance that is neither ugly nor beautiful; however, that may not truly be the most common appearance. People mistakenly think this middle must be the most common though. Sometimes people may be referring the mean average too, but rarely do they refer to a mode average.

If you were to use numbers, then to most people, the average would mean someone who is a 5 on a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being most attractive). However, that doesn't mean that most people are 5s or that a 5 even exits. If you have a lot of high & low numbers, then a 5 individual could be rare and still be the standard for "average" looks. For example, most people could be 2s (or "ugly"), but people would still not call them average, despite it being the most frequently occurring appearance.

FYI, in reality, I hate rating people with numbers as it dehumanizes them, and I think it's waaaay too hard to define any objective standard for attractiveness to even begin measuring this stuff.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:17 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
FYI, in reality, I hate rating people with numbers as it dehumanizes them, and I think it's waaaay too hard to define any objective standard for attractiveness to even begin measuring this stuff.
Agreed.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Although basic hygiene is very important to me... personality & character can make or break some.
Also, some people are not very good looking, but know how to make themselves look good. And some are good looking - behind their sloppy appearances.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:20 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
What percentage of people would you consider ; this is what I think

Very attractive-10%
Mildy attractive 10%
Average- 50%
Below average -20%
Ugly-10%

Way wrong.

• Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are obese: 33.9% (2007-2008)
  • Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight (and not obese): 34.4% (2007-2008)
FASTSTATS - Overweight Prevalence

1/3 are obese so that insanely makes 1/3 ugly. I think its possible for overweight people to be average. IMO, I think its 1/3 of overweight people. So thats about 11% of overweight people who are average and another 1/3 fall below average. IMO, it is impossible to be attractive and overweight. Myself, I put myself in mildly attractive.

Very attractive- 5%
Mildy attractive- 10%
Average- 20%
Below average -20%
Ugly-45%

Old 12-15-2011, 08:04 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,153 times
It is hard to believe 33% of people are obese but nevertheless!
I dont agree with the 45% ugly stats though as I would put them more into average.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
If you look at studies of all kinds of human traits (numerically scored intelligence, numerically-rated attractiveness, etc) you'll end up with the normal curve. So about 68% of the population would fall into the "average" range, being within one standard deviation of the mean (the exact average). then you'll have about 13.6% of people coming up in the range from 1 to 2 standard deviations above the mean (you might consider then rated as "above average" attractiveness), and the same for those between 1-2 standard deviations below the mean (they might be categorized as "below average"). Then you have about 2% of people falling into the "very attractive" or "very unattractive" ranges, being between 2-3 standard deviations from the mean.
Then you have the outliers: about 0.1% of people who are over-the-top attractive and 0.1% who are horribly disfigured.

There might be differences in geographical areas, like NYC or LA, or all of Sweden, you might see a skewed distribution, with more in the "attractive" ranges, but when you balance it out with the population as a whole, it always will end up with the bell curve. Of course you would have to have empirically-rated "attractiveness" as scored by multiple populations of people, so you can account for individual difference in taste & preference.
Exactly!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:50 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,284 times
Judging by real-life observation, as well as the threads on the relationships forum on how many people each sex considered physically attractive, I'd say "sure" to normal distribution, but with the curve on men shifted to the left(towards unattractive), and the curve on women shifted to the right(towards attractive), this is because Men find WAAAAAAAAAAAY more women physically attractive than women do men.

As the typical womens answer was that 0-5 or 0-10% of men are attractive, while men typically say 50-75% of women are attractive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty