Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:05 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,710,689 times

Advertisements

Can u please share ur experience? I'm thinking of having one day, i'm just scared of the pain and the "aftermath" is all. . .

was it a successful surgery? do u regret it? How long was the recovery time? what were the first 3 days like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 09:04 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,142,748 times
Not for cosmetic purposes, but I had a severly deviated septum and had surgery. It was outpatient, anesthesiologist said start counting backwards from 10, I recall getting to 7 and I was completely knocked out . They re-broke and performed the surgery. i think it was around 3-5 hours, someone drove me home, so far no problems.

They inserted 2 plastic tubes and some guaze into my nostrils which were to be left in for 7-10 days to keep it straight (I took the week off of work). First 3 -4 days we're mild pain, I got Vicodin ES for the pain. Upon day 5, I was in excruciating pain and called the Surgeon and said look, I can't take it anymore, I'm in misery. He said come into his office, signed in, and in a waiting room I'll never forget there was about a 7 year old boy who looked at me with a reaction like I was something out of a horror movie, it shocked the whole waiting room. They didn't even let me sit down, they said go back to the see the surgeon now. I was so swelled up around my nose and eye sockets and with a couple of pulls extracting the tubes and gauze it relieved the pressure and intense pain immedietely. I took the pain meds a couple of more days and it was just slightly sore for a couple more days. I'm glad I did it, I breathe much better, and seemed to catch far fewer colds afterwards. According to my Surgeon, my case was one of the worst he ever saw, I even signed an agreement permitting the surgery to be filmed for educating future Surgeons and I could not derive any profit from the video.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:09 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,753,546 times
It better be to cure a condition or natural ailment like a septum

Old 12-10-2011, 09:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,821,202 times
My cousin had rhinoplasty when she was young. She inherited my grandfather's "beak" - very pretty girl, except for the honker which was significant and drew the attention of bullies. Think - Barbra Streisand, who would probably have just been "that cross-eyed broad with the crazy schnozz" if she didn't have that magickal voice and enigmatic stage presence. Her nose is still a little on the large size, still has that angle to it, but it "fits" her face very nicely. They didn't make a drastic change; they just shaved off the bump on the top.

I have the same bump but it's not as pronounced. I -also- have a deviated septum and usually can only breathe out of both nostrils if I'm wearing a breathe-right strip. I figure I might eventually have the rhinoplasty, but so far I've shied away from surgery on any part of my face other than a dental implant.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:13 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,709,463 times
In this economy it's a blessing to have a job at all, so I say, go for it!

Old 12-11-2011, 01:49 PM

19,743 posts, read 20,300,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
In this economy it's a blessing to have a job at all, so I say, go for it!

I'd consider it a blessing to have a nose, period. Count your blessings, people.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:35 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,559,118 times
I had a deviated septum and also got a nose job at the same time - 13 years ago.

It was no big deal at all. They put you under, you wake up as if nothing happened, your face is bruised and sore for a few days, but normal for having surgery. Some RX pain meds worked just fine. I had to wear a plastic splint on my nose for several days after wards...can't recall how long now.

My recommendation is to find someone who specializes in faces, rather than someone who does general plastic surgery. The guy I went to did that and the result was a very natural shape that fits my other facial features. It does not look fake at all.

oh, and I am very glad I did it. I was very unhappy with my nose ever since I was a teenager. It definitely looks a lot better now. It was so long ago, most of the time I forget I even had it done.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:48 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,204,511 times
My husband needed some corrective surgery on his nose. A little "adjustment" was made at the same time.

Then, one of those unfortunate things of surgery happened. He got an inflection in the bone area. It took months for the mess to clear up. This seldom happens, but it does happen from time to time.

No surgery is 100% risk free.

But it's your nose! Get before and after pictures of some of the surgeons other patients. If he doesn't have any, Look for another doctor. This kind of picture is a good indicator of the skill of the Doctor.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,326,442 times
I'm considering getting a nose job. I hate my nose. About 6 years ago, my cousin and I were out playing in our Nana's backyard. I laid down on a beach chair, told my cousin to fold it while I laying in it. He grabbed the top part of the chair, and accidentally dropped it and it slammed right down on my nose. I panicked, felt my nose and realized how flat it felt, then I got up and ran in the house screaming, "he broke my nose!" Then I put ice on it right when I got in the house, an hour later, I noticed a bump on my nose. So, I kept ice on my nose for a couple hours to try to get the bump down. Ever since then, my nose has had a bump on it and I hate it. Sometimes it feels like my nose sticks out like a sore thumb.

I remember my dad and my Nana wanted to get my nose done then, but I was only 12 or 13. Now, I'm 19 and feel it's more of an appropriate time to consider it.

I wouldn't necessarily be nervous about the actual surgery itself, just the aftermath of nose pain and possible infections.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:08 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,204,511 times
[quote=90sman;22085298 I remember my dad and my Nana wanted to get my nose done then, but I was only 12 or 13. Now, I'm 19 and feel it's more of an appropriate time to consider it.

I wouldn't necessarily be nervous about the actual surgery itself, just the aftermath of nose pain and possible infections.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are right. 19 is a much better age to think about it. However, I think you should wait another two years. You may be one of those people whose bone growth is not complete yet. At 21, you should be set for life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty