Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:35 AM

615 posts, read 1,678,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I only use MAC, usually the Studio Fix in N3 (I'm very fair-skinned): M·A·C 'Studio Fix' Powder Plus Foundation | Nordstrom

I've tried a number of other pressed powders, and nothing beats MAC in my opinion!
In your experience/opinion; is powder better than liquid? or does it depend on one's complexion? I've never used powder; just curious.

I've used Lancome liquid foundation and it's "ok".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,424,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I only use MAC, usually the Studio Fix in N3 (I'm very fair-skinned): M·A·C 'Studio Fix' Powder Plus Foundation | Nordstrom

I've tried a number of other pressed powders, and nothing beats MAC in my opinion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
In your experience/opinion; is powder better than liquid? or does it depend on one's complexion? I've never used powder; just curious.

The MAC product posted is the one product that turned me off on MAC years ago. People always raved about the SF Powder + Foundation, but I always felt it was heavy looking without good coverage. But I'm also a liquid foundation fan to begin with.

Off topic, but I couldn't stand their Lip Glass line either, but yet people went gaga for that as well.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
The MAC product posted is the one product that turned me off on MAC years ago. People always raved about the SF Powder + Foundation, but I always felt it was heavy looking without good coverage. But I'm also a liquid foundation fan to begin with.

Off topic, but I couldn't stand their Lip Glass line either, but yet people went gaga for that as well.

That has been my minimal experience with powder as well. It was very BLATANT that I had it on vs. liquid (blends right into my skin/can't tell I have it on!).

However, I hear others rave about powder products. Oh well, it must be one of those things where it depends on one's complexion texture, etc....

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2011, 02:25 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,547,138 times
its called Gabriel, its an all natural organic product I got at whole foods, I love it!!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:13 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,324,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post

Quote:
That has been my minimal experience with powder as well. It was very BLATANT that I had it on vs. liquid (blends right into my skin/can't tell I have it on!).

However, I hear others rave about powder products. Oh well, it must be one of those things where it depends on one's complexion texture, etc....

Thanks!
Any chance it's one of the wet/dry products? There was a powder type foundation I used years ago that you could dampen the sponge and rub it on the powder and it would liquify -- supposedly the coverage was heavier that way, but I discovered that if I used a light hand with it, the coverage was pretty sheer, but complete. And when I used like a powder it was way too heavy.

I loved that stuff -- I think it was Coty...

Old 11-04-2011, 05:59 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,780,200 times
Quote:
I hear others rave about powder products. Oh well, it must be one of those things where it depends on one's complexion texture, etc...
I'm sure that must be it. The liquids I have tried look too opaque and masklike on me. I am pale and finding the right shade of liquid foundation is such a chore. I'm either a ghastly yellow or way too pink. I know what you mean about obvious powders too, having used some of those myself.

Part of it for me is that I've just become used to wearing no (or next to no) makeup.

Last edited by JustJulia; 11-04-2011 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: typo!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,324,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm sure that must be it. The liquids I have tried look too opaque and masklike on me. I am pale and finding the right shade of liquid foundation is such a chore. I'm either a ghastly yellow or way too pink. I know what you mean about obvious powders too, having used some of those myself.

Part of it for me is that I've just become used to wearing no (or next to no) makeup.
I have never understood the whole yellow thing in makeups. Skin isn't that color. And some of these artists hold tight to that.

I think it has something to do with screen makeup. We went to see a taping of the Craig Ferguson show and I was appalled by the makeup. It was incredibly yellow -- like yellow ochre.... and the background that looks blue on TV was pinky purple...

When we saw the show on tv -- he looked perfect.

But that's tv .... real life people are warm or cool or neutral toned... not YELLOW.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:44 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,989,721 times
Tried Clinque and Estee I liked Pallidio wet/dry the best, found at "Sally's"

Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 PM

Just started using bare minerals; can't say yet whether I like it or not. I can say that it is more steps than I care to be doing! ahahaha

Foundation, Veil and Warmth (I think....). Ughhhh....

Old 11-08-2011, 01:16 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,733,219 times
Quote:

I like powders better because they are easier to apply lightly and to touch up during the day.
With a liquid foundation you have to really work it into the skin and may have problems with streaking or running during the day. The brush work may also cause skin irritation or flaking.
It does depend on your skin type a lot though.

I have combo skin and only use liquid these days when my skin gets too dry in the winter and I mix it with moisturizer to be a light moisturizing app of color.

Cream foundations are really nice if you have dry skin that isn't flake prone.

My skin feels dewy pre-powder application and has a natural sheen. The powder gets rid of that shine and works with my natural oils to blend in really well. Sometimes mineral ones can be drying on me and I have to use a rosewater refresher spray mid-day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty