Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,624,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
That said, when talking about top siders and boat shoes, I was thinking about getting these (if I can find them, they're a bit more unique) to wear with shorts next summer:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZQXmUvgXfK...ry_bass_20.jpg
I'm not feelin those. It's like a bad amalgamation of penny loafers & boat shoes, like it wants to be very dressy but somehow outdoorsy. I had a pair of Superga Sardegna's in chestnut that pulled it off way better because they were more casual in soft supple calfskin. They were the perfect pool party slipon when you wanted to look steezy. Total shame my gf's dog tore it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 10:28 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
I'm in my 20s and I can honestly say that I don't know a single guy that shops at AE. I think that is more for high school students than adults.

Classy doesn't mean snobby. I say stick with your put together look.

Time to put on your "big boy" pants and dress like an adult if you want to be taken seriously. Men who dress conservatively regardless of their age tend to get better service.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:37 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
Quote:
\

That's why in the post you read I said I was thinking about them for next summer for wearing with shorts. You don't wear socks when wearing loafers with shorts.

Yeh...I still am not too crazy about them. I hate trying to pick out men's shoes that go with shorts. It really depends on the shorts and the person's build. I don't really think shorts look very put together either. I know...its silly. I just think grown men should stick to pants unless its a beach vacation or something of the sort.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:44 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,982,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Yeh...I still am not too crazy about them. I hate trying to pick out men's shoes that go with shorts. It really depends on the shorts and the person's build. I don't really think shorts look very put together either. I know...its silly. I just think grown men should stick to pants unless its a beach vacation or something of the sort.
I mostly wear pants, but wear shorts sometimes. I went to Puerto Vallarta last winter and bought some shorts to wear and decided they're no so bad, that's when the issue of shoes came up.

I only care for plaid or khaki shorts. Cargo and jean shorts are pretty bad.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:16 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post

I remain thinking you have the "Alan Harper" style of dress, draw you own conclusions.

I had to Google Alan Harper, but yeah, pretty much painting the same boring picture for me as well.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:25 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times
not a fan of those shoes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'll agree with you about shoes, but I do judge on socks, though. White socks are not appropriate for all occasions, fellas.
I know... please guys: no white socks with the suits, jeans etc.
Yes, we see them.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
I don't care if you show up in a toga... or naked. I know that I seem a bit off topic here, but I'm really not.

Can you trap, shoot, or hook dinner? Do you know how to start a fire, make a shelter? My husband, Mr. tropical wool blaser, Brooks Brothers shirt guy can do everything and anything. He's build decks, pulled annual budget data, stats out of... for a company as a poly sci major.

Long story short, I care what you have to say, I don't care about your clothes.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:22 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Quote:
The character Alan's look is pretty dorky, but it also matches his personality, so be it. My style of dress is not the same. A better stereotype of how I dress would be college student, private school kid, city dweller, or somebody who holds a professional job. By the way, I seem to see a lot of gays wearing American Eagle, Abercrombie, etc., which is what you suggested wearing in an earlier post. How do you dress?

That's why in the post you read I said I was thinking about them for next summer for wearing with shorts. You don't wear socks when wearing loafers with shorts.

Was your husband wearing a suit? Because slip-on shoes don't go with a suit. I would think most 38 year olds would have dress shoes on hand, if not for work then for weddings, funerals, etc.

That looks like a dress shoe to me.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:59 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,353,068 times
l would say YOU have to feel good in it.

It sounds like it would be a good look - IF it goes with the person wearing it. I didnt read the whole thread - so i'll have to go back and see if there are any more pics.

I like a guy with his own style - as long as he's clean, well-kept, and seems comfortable in it. The last guy i dated dressed NOTHING like anyone in his age group, but he always looked good nevertheless.

If you feel like changing it up, get some different pieces and see how you feel in them.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:26 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,271,444 times
Mokan, I have to say I'm very impressed with your choices. Loved the shoes, khakis, and do approve of tassle loafers and boat shoes (no socks with the later). The only thing I disagree on is the cargo pants, if a nice fit they look great for casual wear especially in khaki. I wear a lot of them myself. I wish more young men would pay attention to their outward presentation.

I am sick to death of the whole body tattoos, advertising t-shirts, pants with a center of gravity below the derriere, and ill fitting clothes in general. You will attract those you want to yourself with your strategy. Keep up the good work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty