Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times

Advertisements

I cant stand the type who go out and by certain things just because "its in" Be original and yourself. The most pathetic bunch has to be the hip hop trend followers. Jay Z or Kanye can wear a neon thong over skinny jeans, and I can guarantee you that you will start seeing these weak minded sheep doing it as well. I've never understood this. I myself have a particular style that I stick to. I dont care what is "in" or who is wearing what. What's crazy is, the new "in style" can be ugly as sin, yet these sheep will still go out and buy/wear it just because its "in". WHY???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 04:09 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I cant stand the type who go out and by certain things just because "its in" Be original and yourself. The most pathetic bunch has to be the hip hop trend followers. Jay Z or Kanye can wear a neon thong over skinny jeans, and I can guarantee you that you will start seeing these weak minded sheep doing it as well. I've never understood this. I myself have a particular style that I stick to. I dont care what is "in" or who is wearing what. What's crazy is, the new "in style" can be ugly as sin, yet these sheep will still go out and buy/wear it just because its "in". WHY???

And what are you wearing, sackcloth and ashes?

Old 08-23-2011, 05:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Just be thankful you weren't around for dashikis. And Mao suits. And Nehru collars.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:06 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Posts like this always remind me of that great line about fashion Meryl Streep has in The Devil Wears Prada:

Quote:
'This... stuff'? Oh. Okay. I see. You think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select... I don't know... that lumpy blue sweater, for instance because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, it's not turquoise. It's not lapis. It's actually cerulean. And you're also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves Saint Laurent... wasn't it who showed cerulean military jackets? I think we need a jacket here. And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of eight different designers. And then it, uh, filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic Casual Corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and it's sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you're wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room from a pile of stuff.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:13 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Posts like this always remind me of that great line about fashion Meryl Streep has in The Devil Wears Prada:

Old 08-24-2011, 11:38 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Just be thankful you weren't around for dashikis. And Mao suits. And Nehru collars.

Hey, I still wear dashikis.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,602,631 times
For some folks, fashion is an enjoyable hobby. I dated a fellow who was into european cars and racing; that was his hobby. To me, expensive and pretty much useless but it made him very happy. I'm into fashion and jewelry. To him, my hobby was expensive and pretty much useless but made me very happy. So we each took some interest in the other's delight and didn't denigrate the other's choice.

Hey, not every trend will look good on every person, but sometimes ya gotta try something out for yourself.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:14 AM

615 posts, read 1,676,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post

Why? Who knows; because they can or want to? It's their prerogative and we should just focus on ourselves and what we wish to wear or not wear.

I personally LOVE fashion, but I also know what looks good on me/not. So I'll wear what is complementary to my physique and what I can afford. I won't over-extend myself financially or look like a fool because it's "in style" or the latest fad.

Happy Thursday everyone!!

Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
I also know what looks good on me/not. So I'll wear what is complementary to my physique and what I can afford. I won't over-extend myself financially or look like a fool because it's "in style" or the latest fad.
^^^^^^THIS!

The problem is not the lack of personal style (only), it is that some people have no clue what looks good on them or not!
After a certain age, some things just don't look good, no matter how fit one is.
Also, everyone knows when clothes are over the top, but they like the attention. It does not make one look hot but rather desperate imo. If you have what it takes, people will notice you, no need to go "look at meeeeee!"

Also, some people go the distance to dress lavishly when their means are everything but. Fashion is fun, but good sense comes first.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:22 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
Some people can do trends and really look cute and unique - while others can look wayyy overdone and fake.

As i have aged, i just wear what i like - and i usually like some cute or cool trendy things, and some regular old standbys. I do think fashion is fun - but i am downsizing with everything, and am retired now, so i mostly stick to jeans - and then PJs when i am home

I really enjoyed reading a book about the life of the Ghandi, and what he wore - pretty amazing. Reminded me how much i can do WITHOUT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty