Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:01 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sankofa View Post
Quote:

Because perhaps you like the way it looks but it is not a priority to spend your money for it - even if you can afford it - there are lots of things for sale based on the concept of things costing more money - some people want it because of the design and do not mind that it is a replica/copy/fake
Exactly....When I buy something...I don't think of whether it's "fake" or not.....I just buy what I like, and most people do feel better when they invest in something nice for themselves or another...self esteem has nothing to do with it....though I do wonder about the self esteem of someone who feels they HAVE to have the real deal, or it's no deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 09:35 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
I don't wear gemstones, so I guess my jewelry is neither "real" nor "fake."

Old 08-06-2011, 11:44 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,526,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Explain. How is me not understanding why people would buy fake Tiffany's, Piaget, and Graff knockoffs having issues is a "Jersey thing". We have people that wear real stuff, and costume jewelry, and I'm certain some that wear fake replicas of high end brands. I understand real jewelry and costume jewelry. It's the fake stuff that says "ooh, look, i have a Bulgari ring, but only I know I got it for under $500".

Maybe the distinction could have been made a bit more clearly between "real", "fake" and "knock-off". So you were saying "fake" and but the meaning was "knock-off". Again, maybe this is a NJ/maybe NY thing because I have not encountered people (on the West coast) who were attempting to pass off knock-offs of high-end jewelry (Van Cleef, Buccellati, etc.) as "real".

Old 08-07-2011, 08:05 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I was just wondering how many people wear fake jewelry? Do any men do? Cause I recently had a sudden interest in some blingish-type men's bracelets and rings. But I'm not trying to be like rappers in music videos. Just some bling here and there to up my wardrobe a bit. To change it up. Most of the ones I'm looking at are made of cubic zirconium.
Don't do it. Men's jewelry must be real. CZ is obvious to the naked eye and anything cheaply plated doesn't have the right sheen. Take your time to find something you really like and can afford. I would go with a nice watch and forget all the etc. Rings on men, unless really plain bands, can look cheesy and sleazy.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:53 AM

3 posts, read 3,734 times
jewelry is not only an accessory, it's also an emergency asset you can liquidate anytime... which is why i prefer real gold over fancy ones...

now as for jewelry being an art, that i can understand totally... if i see someone wearing a vintage accessory (art deco/etruscan etc) that comes with very intricate and well crafted design i definitely won't look down on that even if it's "fancy"...

what i have trouble appreciating are fake things that aren't necessarily expensive and can be purchased real and yet insist on having the fake one... say a fake gold hoop or a fake .40 ct diamond stud for $15... save a bit more at $75-$125 you can get a real 14k gold and a real diamond if you scour around ebay plus you also can liquidate that anytime... some fancy jewelry also don't look "artistic" nor even "couture" in the sense if you're after "art" as it is... compare a tin or alloy or bronze made earrings at the mall over a vintage "ART" accessory which often are gold filled or heavy gold plated, if it's artistry is what you're after... it won't even compare in terms of intricacy and craftsmanship...even plastic stones they craft are very well put together.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:38 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvovirtualtech View Post
jewelry is not only an accessory, it's also an emergency asset you can liquidate anytime... which is why i prefer real gold over fancy ones...

now as for jewelry being an art, that i can understand totally... if i see someone wearing a vintage accessory (art deco/etruscan etc) that comes with very intricate and well crafted design i definitely won't look down on that even if it's "fancy"...

what i have trouble appreciating are fake things that aren't necessarily expensive and can be purchased real and yet insist on having the fake one... say a fake gold hoop or a fake .40 ct diamond stud for $15... save a bit more at $75-$125 you can get a real 14k gold and a real diamond if you scour around ebay plus you also can liquidate that anytime... some fancy jewelry also don't look "artistic" nor even "couture" in the sense if you're after "art" as it is... compare a tin or alloy or bronze made earrings at the mall over a vintage "ART" accessory which often are gold filled or heavy gold plated, if it's artistry is what you're after... it won't even compare in terms of intricacy and craftsmanship...even plastic stones they craft are very well put together.
Liquidating your gold jewelery would require that you only paid the metal value and that the price of gold was up t the time you needed the cash...

I collct vintage stuff - I buy most of it from flea markets, garage sales and thrift stores. I could sell all of it "at cost" and most of it at a small profit if I wished.

I travel a lot so for me - I like to pack a few blingy vintage pieces, they don't take up much space and can make a daytime outfit sparkkly enough to wear to a nice dinner. Plus I dont' have to worry over much about theft.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
I have some very nice "real" pieces - my wedding set, a beautiful custom made necklace, several pendants (pearl, diamond, gemstones, etc) a few brooches and some cocktail rings (pave and some gem stones, etc) and a few pairs of very nice earrings (diamonds, real pearls, etc). I've collected these over the years.

But I have a passion for vintage costume jewelry and I love beautiful, quality old pieces. My grandmother stirred this in me when she gave me my great grandmother's beautiful brooches and earrings from the 1930s. So now I collect vintage pieces. My favorite era is the 1910s - 1940s.

I recently bought a silver ring from the Byzantine era. It's actually wearable and I love it.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:37 AM

747 posts, read 1,682,064 times
Well I'm a women and I have both real and fake jewelry, more real then fake. About the only fake jewelry I wear on a daily basis is my anchor bracelets from Kiel James Patrick, I think they are gold plated. I adore the rope bracelets with the little anchor on them, so cute. I'm wanting the turks head one, maybe hubby will buy me one for xmas.

I also have a fake pearl necklace, it's pink with a pink ribbon tie, they was popular a few years back and I still have mine and use it on occasion.

that's about the extent of my fake jewelry.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:18 PM

262 posts, read 546,763 times
I bought a set of imitation pearl earrings.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:29 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,679,746 times
No. I'm a guy, by the way. The way I look at it is, the real thing costs money, but retains value. While it's not a per se "investment vehicle", it sure beats some other ways to spend money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty