Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 PM

142 posts, read 253,855 times

Advertisements

I've been on youtube recently, and I have been watching clips of people showing their entire shoe collections, designer bag collections, and then I even saw clips of people showing what they had in their entire closets for clothes.

I'll admit that I'm a fiend for Ralph Lauren Polo. That's literally all I wear, and I must own at least 15-20 shirts of all kinds, plus a couple of sweaters, a jacket, sneakers, winter vests, cologne, socks and even bed sheets and pillow covers. I've started to notice that people are just as into Ralph Lauren as I am, and have even dedicated videos to how much RL items they possess like this:

‪been had polo response to jose hustle‬‏ - YouTube

‪Polo Ralph Lauren clothes and shoes‬‏ - YouTube

So, what brand do you all represent, and how hard do you represent that brand or brands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 01:08 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,496,695 times
I actually meant to make this thread, after seeing the "favorite stores" thread.

Polo Ralph Lauren is my favorite for shorts, polos, and khakis. I also want a particular "beach fleece" hoodie. It's thin enough to layer under my leather jacket. Very much a staple.

Burberry: Their polos are double of what they are worth (no better than an $80 Lacoste, IMO). However, I love their trench coats (duh), suits, and boxer shorts. In terms of MSRP, I own $2,990 even of Burberry (1 suit $1,100, 1 trench 1,800, 2 pairs boxers $45 each). My evil secret? I paid $1,295 courtesy of Nordstrom sales (suit) and ebay (boxers, coat...authenticity decidedly confirmed). The next items on my hit list are a couple pairs of briefs (for running) and jeans. Their jeans have some awesome washes, but I need them to be sub $200 before I buy.

Hudson: I love the feel of their denim. Absolutely, positively love it. Own: 1 pair.

Lucky Brand: At the $80 price point, I prefer them to Levi's, Buffalo, and other stores. The "Lucky You" visible if you unbutton the fly from the front amuses me.

Style: Decidedly preppy (boat shoes, loafers, oxfords, polos, khaki, oxford cloth button downs, cashmere sweaters) with a couple (literally) pairs of jeans. (can't help it, went to prep school)

Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 AM

18,247 posts, read 22,671,808 times
Why would someone who either does not work for, does not get paid to promote/advertise, or does not heavily own stock in a company be so extremely loyal to one "brand"? I have seen people dressed head-to-toe in one particular designer and they look like clowns.

Yes, there are a few brands that are represented a bit more heavily in my wardrobe than others but I am much more about the quality, silhouette and the fit than about the actual designer/brand itself.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Why would someone who either does not work for, does not get paid to promote/advertise, or does not heavily own stock in a company be so extremely loyal to one "brand"? I have seen people dressed head-to-toe in one particular designer and they look like clowns.

Yes, there are a few brands that are represented a bit more heavily in my wardrobe than others but I am much more about the quality, silhouette and the fit than about the actual designer/brand itself.

I always liked RL Polo the best out of everything else I've seen at malls. I think they fit me well, and look the nicest. For me, I'm not necessarily trying to promote or advertise the brand, I just think it's the best clothing brand out there for ME. I do own other items from other brands like Lacoste, Burberry, Abercrombie & Fitch & American Eagle, but for me personally, Polo is what I rock most of the time.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:04 PM

15,660 posts, read 26,472,761 times
I rock Land's End, baby!

I've seen people do this, and yes -- they look ridiculous. Once saw a woman head to toe in Louis Vuitton.... just stupid -- especially because I think it was all knock offs -- looked cheap to me.

So, unless the label I sport on the outside of my clothing pays me to advertise, I don't wear it.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:20 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,671,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateCity2001 View Post
I always liked RL Polo the best out of everything else I've seen at malls. I think they fit me well, and look the nicest. For me, I'm not necessarily trying to promote or advertise the brand, I just think it's the best clothing brand out there for ME. I do own other items from other brands like Lacoste, Burberry, Abercrombie & Fitch & American Eagle, but for me personally, Polo is what I rock most of the time.
A great sense of style is not about buying a specific brand and head-to-toe anything has a tendency to look rather silly (especially when the person is usually making the label/brand very conspicuous) The wearer is attempting to project a certain level of status and to advertise their knowledge/understanding of high quality yet the head-to-toe look usually translates as one who is trying too hard to look the part. I remember once seeing a young lady who was dressed head-to-toe in signature C Coach (boots, belt, bag, hat). And no matter whether or not it was authentic or bootleg...she just looked like a clown.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
A great sense of style is not about buying a specific brand and head-to-toe anything has a tendency to look rather silly (especially when the person is usually making the label/brand very conspicuous) The wearer is attempting to project a certain level of status and to advertise their knowledge/understanding of high quality yet the head-to-toe look usually translates as one who is trying too hard to look the part. I remember once seeing a young lady who was dressed head-to-toe in signature C Coach (boots, belt, bag, hat). And no matter whether or not it was authentic or bootleg...she just looked like a clown.

I never claimed to have a great sense of style. Last time I checked, I'm still guy you know. I'm just telling you what I find interesting, and nice looking. I'm not like other people who have WAY more RL items than I could ever dream of owning. When I started the thread, I showed you two people who I would guess own anywhere from 40-50 items from RL, those people probably have three times the items that I have, and I might be underestimating their collections.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:

For me, it's the style and price-quality ratio. If I like a designer's style, I will unabashedly buy it prodigiously. That said, I prefer understated designers. This is my primary complaint with LV, Coach, Prada, and Dolce & Gabbana. Their clothing and accessories shamelessly turn their label wh*** followers into walking billboards.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:01 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,797,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
For me, it's the style and price-quality ratio. If I like a designer's style, I will unabashedly buy it prodigiously. That said, I prefer understated designers. This is my primary complaint with LV, Coach, Prada, and Dolce & Gabbana. Their clothing and accessories shamelessly turn their label wh*** followers into walking billboards.
You should wear MaxMara then. Good quality and NO LABELS.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
You should wear MaxMara then. Good quality and NO LABELS.
Except I like the little logos. I am a sucker for the little Burberry knight, Faconnable bird (quail?), etc. It's the big, for example t-shirts with 72 point font.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty