Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,286,221 times

Advertisements

Ronnie just told me I need them!

Seriously, what do you guys use them for...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 09:43 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,294,332 times
Oh, gosh...everything! When we had a boat, I'd drag stuff there for the weekend - it held so much stuff. Going on picnics.... carry-on for plane trips - it holds so much and you can still stick it under the seat.... snacks, books, magazines and other necessities long car rides... beach stuff... the possibilities are endless!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:58 AM

806 posts, read 2,345,566 times
I just bought mine for a plane trip. It held SO many snacks and everything I needed. I lose things in my backpack, because of too many pockets.

I will also use it to tote my lunch and snacks and drink to work. It is a clutter catcher!

I used to use those white plastic shopping bags for my lunch...still do on occasion.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:36 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,148,938 times
No and I would worry I would lose the bag.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:57 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,463,944 times
I have some that are older than I am, since they were a staple growing up, for groceries, farmers' markets, etc. They're durable, and can be easily washed, making them more attractive for use as grocery bags to me, as opposed to the reusable plastic or vinyl bags, or the inexpensive grocery bags that invariably break, since I don't think those can be cleaned as easily, without the use of harsh chemical cleaners that I don't want near food.

One of my grandmothers used to give one as a gift to guests at her summer house, so they could use them as their beach bag, and to take home. And there are bags that have gone full circle in my family from parents to siblings back to parents, etc. when needing to bring things to/from one house. One of my sisters-in-law has the tiny size that she uses as a summer purse when going to the pool, beach, or somewhere where her bag could get damaged/spilled/etc. by one of her children, since she just washes them if there's a problem.

Lands End has some good tote bags, too, though I don't have any of those that are older than me.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-16-2011, 12:37 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,110,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ronnie just told me I need them!

Seriously, what do you guys use them for...?
We use them for anything and everything.

I take mine to the farmer's market all the time. Easy to carry everything I buy.

We spend LOTS of time at sports fields so I take things for the kids...sunscreen, chalk, coloring, puzzles, snacks..etc.

When we go on car trips I take magazines, all our itouch/ipod/phone cords, our portable DVD player..etc. All fits in there.

We use them when we go to the pool or beach for extra clothes, sunscreen, towels (large totes), dry snacks and goggles.

When we go to the library it makes carrying the books in and out a little easier...usually we are going in and out with at least 12 books.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:17 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,286,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
We use them for anything and everything.

I take mine to the farmer's market all the time. Easy to carry everything I buy.

We spend LOTS of time at sports fields so I take things for the kids...sunscreen, chalk, coloring, puzzles, snacks..etc.

When we go on car trips I take magazines, all our itouch/ipod/phone cords, our portable DVD player..etc. All fits in there.

We use them when we go to the pool or beach for extra clothes, sunscreen, towels (large totes), dry snacks and goggles.

When we go to the library it makes carrying the books in and out a little easier...usually we are going in and out with at least 12 books.
I generally just don't like these bags, but I guess I have an aversion to them also because I don't feel like going back to where I started! I like my plastic grocery bags. I also liked them when they were available at the libraries here and recently removed for "hygienic" reasons! If anybody has an issue with this, deal with it on your own or go whine on the appropriate forum!

I also prefer shoulder bags of any kind as I don't like having one hand occupied with a bag.

Thank you all for sharing, though.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:23 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,488,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Here they are: Bags
Yes I own two.

Both with my initials embroidered.

One is the medium short handle in dark fern - great as a book bag.

The other is the Large tote with the extra long handles in pink berry, works great for grocery shopping and toting firewood. Have had it for 5 years and still looks exactly the same. The long handles can fit over your shoulder nice and comfy.

The strong canvas can stand up to anything, including being checked in for an international flight and being tossed around on bag belts - no rips, holes or tears. Just wash and dry. Good as new!

These are great durable bags for an inexpensive price!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:33 PM

3,487 posts, read 9,440,865 times
I have a LL Bean tote with a zip top (important when I use it as airplane carry on) and I love it. It is super sturdy and well made. That bag will probably outlive me.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:41 PM

466 posts, read 817,319 times
I think if you were ever a bridesmaid in a wedding, you got one as part of your bridal party gift! LOL

That's how I got mine. It's embroidered with my name and it really is a nice sturdy canvas. When I later planned my own wedding, I used it to carry my binder, notebook and such. That said, I haven't used it in years because my mine has the regular, short handles. I think my friend ordered it a few months before the longer handles came out. I would much prefer to have something I can easily throw over my shoulder. I have a 17-month-old, and while I don't really need a diaper bag anymore, something like this might be a good way to carry thee stuff that he still needs around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty