Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:34 AM

860 posts, read 2,715,668 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I have an idea for a thread,I think there may be an interest in it??

I moved to the Desert South West last year (from the Midwest) and SO MANY things about my beauty routine have changed! I really cannot believe all the things that are specific about living in this hot dry climate. I wondered if other Southwest Beauty posters would care to share their tips and products that work really well in this extreme climate. Or just share their experiences on what their beauty issues are. This includes hair ladies, as your hair in the SW is not the same as your hair some where else1 For better or worse! This are would include desert California,Nevada, New Mexico and of course Arizona esp. Phoenix area where I live.

Here were my big changes:

-bye bye adult acne, one year mostly free of anti-biotics
-hello dark cheek spots due to sun exposure despite sunscreen/hats.
-bye bye shiny wavy hair,hello dry frizzy hair than needs deep conditioning every wash.
-hello 2 layers of night cream,the 1st one is absorbed in 3 minutes and my skin is not dry.
-so long puffy sinus infection eyes, I retain very little water here and my sinuses are fantastic
- hello fine lines around the eyes, I have sunglasses all the time now.

Some one local suggested Morroccan Hair Oil a while back, I need to get some. I have recommended Estee Lauder Even Better clinical dark spot corrector and I would consider photofacials which are huge here.

Overall I love the look here in the SouthWest. I love dressing in a casual, bohemian way or wearing yoga pants and a tee with flip flops. I notice more tattoos, more hair extensions,and more implants lol. Not judging,just sayin'.

Thanks!! hart4july
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 12:37 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
as your hair in the SW is not the same as your hair some where else
Thank goodness for that! My hair looks like hell in humid places. On the other hand, the skin does get dry. Every time I land in Cancun I feel my skin coming back to normal immediately! It's like it's gulping moisture ASAP! Frankly, no product has the same effect. Or drinking water, for that matter, regardless of how much.

I've been living here for 14 years, I don't wear sunscreen, and I spend time in the sun (oh, yeah, I'm a smoker, too ). That hasn't contributed to any wrinkles. The only very slight wrinkles I got in the past year or two (some other women 10 years younger than I am have way more pronounced ones) were due to an illness and medication, IMO. Could be a coincidence, too, but I personally don't think so as the sum of the side effects of this medication is called "premature aging"... Of course, that's not to say you won't get wrinkles... Everybody's genes are different.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:49 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,792 times
my skin gets so dry here that I sometimes have to slather on some petroleum jelly..nasty huh?

My hair likes it somewhat though.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
my skin gets so dry here that I sometimes have to slather on some petroleum jelly..nasty huh?

My hair likes it somewhat though.
Geez! Don't do petroleum jelly! It may be cheap, but the are other inexpensive products.

Petroleum Jelly on your Face? | Care2 Healthy & Green Living

Old 04-06-2011, 02:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Good idea for a thread!

Oil of Olay first thing every morning. Face, ears, neck, arms, legs, feet, whatever is exposed. Re-applied as needed. And, of course, at night after I clean my face.

Deep conditioning every shampoo.

Lotion on feet every night. Especially in the summer when I only wear shoes if I go outside. Walking around barefoot causes more calluses than I'd like. (Recently discovered Olay Ulta Moisture Lotion with Shea Butter. I like it a lot. Works very well and the aroma is mild but pleasant.)

I drink water all day long. Carry a small bottle in my purse. Always.

Hat. Broad brimmed in Summer. And I carry one in my car in case, God forbid, my car breaks down and I have to stand in the heat any time at all.

Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen.

Sunglasses. (Which I've worn pretty much every day of my life since I was 5.) And in the Summer I wear my perscription sunglasses which are a wrap-around style.

"Aqua Cool"s. Available at Walmart in the sporting goods department. You soak them in water and wrap them around your neck. My DH and kids ride horses, so if I'm out in the dust and heat watching them, these are a must for me.

Powder. In the old days it was called Talcum Powder. I have quite a variety of scents. I'll even shake some into my shoes on hot days. Helps to put it on (lightly) on hot, sweaty days when you first get dressed.

(And Hart, if you want to see boob jobs, get on Scottsdale Road and drive north. I swear the closer you get to Carefree the bigger the boob job, lol.)

Old 04-06-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And Hart, if you want to see boob jobs, get on Scottsdale Road and drive north. I swear the closer you get to Carefree the bigger the boob job, lol.)
That's true!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's true!
Sometimes they just about knock me over in the North Scottsdale Target.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:27 PM

860 posts, read 2,715,668 times
yes I have been to N Scottsdale LOL. Injectibally built!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Geez! Don't do petroleum jelly! It may be cheap, but the are other inexpensive products.

Petroleum Jelly on your Face? | Care2 Healthy & Green Living
lol, its not about cheap..its the only thing that moisturizes me in this stupid climate. I don't use it all the time though, just when my face gets so flaky that only heavy stuff works.

haha, the scottsdale joke reminds me of a customer I had at my job at the swimsuit store. She was from scottsdale, in her 50's and super duper teeny, short, with huuuuge boobs and a mega tan. Nice lady and she bought a lot from me, but wow..I don't think I even ran into women like her in L.A.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,597 times
Great post! Having moved to NM from the Pacific NW 3 years ago, appreciate hearing poster's suggestions. My skin has dried out and wrinkled up despite face creams and sunblock but my hair looks great in this dry climate.

I have fair skin and hair so my regime is to always wear a high SPF sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, and cover up. During the summer I wear self tanners or tinted moisturizers. I try to put on body lotion after showering, face cream at night, and always, day and night wear lip balm. I also have a dermatologist check all my skin "spots" annually--a must!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty