Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
People are critical about Westcobbs comment and I guess I see why.
What could possible be controversial about what I said? I did not call this person ugly .. I haven't even seen a picture. And if he or she was ugly, I wouldn't say he or she was because that's rude. Let me put what I have said another way: if you are ugly, it's not the end of the world. PERHAPS you are.. who cares?

I completely agree with what youv'e said, nocontengencies. Not everyone gets to look like a Greek god or goddess. As a culture, we need to quit idealizing beauty to the degree where it seems you have to be beautiful to matter. No you don't. You can have a pockmarked face, buck teeth, flab around you middle, receding hairline or whatever and still count in my book. There's way more to a person than what he or she looks like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlovER View Post
I think i'm hideous. should i see a psychalogist?
I've been called ugly since age 9. I 'm almost 18 and it still happens. It happens weekly. I dont see how i'm ugly. I've had gfs and they said i'm good looking. other ppl have complimented my looks before but i generally get called ugly. I feel insecure at all times. what should i do? I'm not trolling. I'm just seaking help.
Well, I just saw your picture. If I see you walking on the street your looks are not something I would notice you at all in the crowd. either way. You look normal. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder as they say.
I agree you may need to see a psychologist. You may be obsessed about looks in some ways. It may be no different than girls that see themselves fat even at 80 pounds. People are mean anywhere and some may know you are sensitive about your looks. What to do? If they do not like you they will comment on your looks to hurt you. We all have people that do like us and those that do not for some reason, take care.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:42 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
I went and looked at your picture.

Definitely not ugly. If you ask how you should be characterized I would say that you're in the vast middle range where most people (not an Adonis like me, but most people ) fall.

I agree with the posters who say you should stop associating with the kind of negative, hostile people who call you ugly. I spend time with all kinds of people with all different looks, and I honestly don't spend much time thinking about how any of them look. Those are the kind of people you want to be hanging out with.

A friend of mine once observed many years ago that pretty much everyone who wants to get married is able to do it. You have already learned that, whatever some people think of your looks, there are women who find you attractive and are willing to spend time with you. It only takes one of them at a time, right?

Finally, do you need counseling? Maybe. I don't hear the kind of problem you're expressing very often, but it's very common to hear women who may be 1/8 of a pound above what they consider their ideal weight to worry about whether they're "fat". I think it must be pretty unpleasant to go through life like that, so if some form of counseling could help you get past that it might be worth it.

Good luck.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:46 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
listen more to those who say you are not ugly and LESS to those ugly people..

Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
You are definitely not ugly. Can't imagine why anyone would say that.

If thoughts that you're ugly are consuming you, you should seek some kind of therapy. As someone suggested, see a school counselor if you don't have any other options. If you can't do that, look for some books about cognitive behavioral therapy and try some of the self-help techniques. It's based on the idea that if you can change how you think, you can change how you feel.

Finally, if people are telling you you're ugly, you need to hang around different people.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 PM

544 posts, read 1,485,767 times
Where's his photo? I can't seem to find it.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Sounds like someone who's just fishing for compliments. I'm not going to look at the picture. I have no idea what you look like, OP. But if you really DO think you're hideous, as you claim, AND if it bothers you, then yes you should talk to someone professional about it. If it doesn't bother you, then there's nothing to talk about. If you are actually fishing for compliments, I'd suggest therapy might not be a bad idea then, either.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:05 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Sounds like someone who's just fishing for compliments. I'm not going to look at the picture.
I feel like you do. I wish I hadn't looked at his picture, I feel like I've been tricked.

You do need help if you honestly think "advice" from a bunch of internet strangers is going to change anything in your life. And if you hang around a bunch of people who call you ugly you just need some new real friends.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:36 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Anything that causes you enough stress that you carry it beyond the moment of discomfort should be looked into. You can do that yourself or with a doctor. If the worst problem you have is being called ugly you have it made.

Giving you an honest answer about your looks:
I would say avg from what I see in the photo. The only "ugly" thing I see is a bit of breakout marks. You can take care of that and that will make you feel better.
Do you have messed up teeth? Get some braces if you do.

There is nothing wrong with worrying about what you look like or changing things as long as it does not become an obsession. Achieve things outside of looks to build a healthy self esteem so you can let go of the days you feel ugly or get called ugly. If you value yourself on many points it just looks good too. Healthy self esteem is attractive and can turn a 5 into a 10.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 AM

544 posts, read 1,485,767 times
I just found your photo. I don't see a problem.

Last edited by scsigurl3000; 03-31-2011 at 08:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty