Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:17 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,001 times

Advertisements

I was reading a thread about the differences of the sexes in their buying habits. It was interesting and somewhat in accord with my own observations.

(stereo)Typically, women buy for the short term with the expectation that an item will not be worn next year. On the other hand, given the stereotypical male aversion to shopping, they buy more basic items that will be worn into the ground over several years.

While I disagree with the concept that women are fashion-lemmings in endless pursuit, the market perhaps encourages this behavior. My mother, for example, bemoans that women's clothing is polyester and rayon (especially in professional wear). These synthetic materials wear out quickly...within the season.

In the men's department, I only shop cotton, wool, cashmere, silk, and linen. Outside of cheap POS dress pants or the lowest quality of ties, this is more or less what's available.

I find that women also have a pressure to dress more so than men do, even in a professional setting. Unless I have the garments in hand, I find it extremely difficult to distinguish amongst various commonly available women's brands, especially if the woman is of such a body/build that she complements anything (A fat woman who let herself go will always be as such even with a $500,000 credit and personal shopper at Bergdorf Goodman or Harrod's). Perhaps you ladies can tell the difference as I can with men's suits.

Call me biased, but if I were buying quality of materials and construction, I would definitely be born a man (again).

What have you observed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 03:59 PM

476 posts, read 1,135,138 times
I shop like a discerning man but I happen to be a woman. I don't own a single pair of skinny jeans, flare jeans, bubble skirt, platform heels, tops in 3/4 length sleeves, capri pants or synthetic fabrics. I don't like 'em. I think they're either uncomfortable, unflattering or totally impractical.
My button down shirts are 100% cotton. So are my summer dresses. My blazers, sweaters, skirts etc are all natural fabrics. I wear deep rich colors and/or neutrals and lots of black and white. I just purchased a nice silk pocket square to accent one of my navy blazers and seersucker pants.

It's more difficult to shop and circumvent trends as a woman. Requires more effort to find things I like and can afford. I purchased a couple pair of plain wash (no bedazzle, no faux distress) wider leg jeans two years ago and had to buy them from an online store in UK. I couldn't find something normal and non-trendy in the States. I don't begrudge anyone their trends (jeggings, peep toe boots, cuffed boyfriend jeans). Folks should wear what they like.

I always shop with substance and my personal style in mind. That way, I get to keep my clothes rather than shamefully hiding them away after two seasons! Saves me money, and damn if I don't look good.

I agree, generally women's clothing is about fashion and men's clothing is much more functional. Makes me jealous. If I can't find what I want in the women's aisle, I'll shop men's XS and have it tailored later.

Last edited by heavyweight; 03-29-2011 at 04:12 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 04:20 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
(stereo)Typically, women buy for the short term with the expectation that an item will not be worn next year. On the other hand, given the stereotypical male aversion to shopping, they buy more basic items that will be worn into the ground over several years.
So, what happens to the item after one year? Women don't wear things into the ground? What about the stereotype that women are more likely to keep clothing and shoes in their closets for a long time?

Old 03-29-2011, 10:31 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,646,598 times
I wear my stuff until it is shot or falling apart. I don't waste clothes.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:36 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,905,476 times
Capri pants, 3/4 length sleeves and platform heels are classic pieces (been wearing for many years) actually and not 'trendy' at all. I just buy what I like, if it looks good on me and I like it, I buy it. Generally I buy quality fabrics/clothes that last several years and never shop at cheap, trendy stores where the clothing falls apart after 1 season. My teen does not even shop at forever21 and cheap stores like that lol, because we look for quality. But we purchase a combination of stylish and classic, as long as both is quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
I shop like a discerning man but I happen to be a woman. I don't own a single pair of skinny jeans, flare jeans, bubble skirt, platform heels, tops in 3/4 length sleeves, capri pants or synthetic fabrics. I don't like 'em. I think they're either uncomfortable, unflattering or totally impractical.
My button down shirts are 100% cotton. So are my summer dresses. My blazers, sweaters, skirts etc are all natural fabrics. I wear deep rich colors and/or neutrals and lots of black and white. I just purchased a nice silk pocket square to accent one of my navy blazers and seersucker pants.

It's more difficult to shop and circumvent trends as a woman. Requires more effort to find things I like and can afford. I purchased a couple pair of plain wash (no bedazzle, no faux distress) wider leg jeans two years ago and had to buy them from an online store in UK. I couldn't find something normal and non-trendy in the States. I don't begrudge anyone their trends (jeggings, peep toe boots, cuffed boyfriend jeans). Folks should wear what they like.

I always shop with substance and my personal style in mind. That way, I get to keep my clothes rather than shamefully hiding them away after two seasons! Saves me money, and damn if I don't look good.

I agree, generally women's clothing is about fashion and men's clothing is much more functional. Makes me jealous. If I can't find what I want in the women's aisle, I'll shop men's XS and have it tailored later.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:31 PM

305 posts, read 655,585 times
Quote:
A fat woman who let herself go will always be as such even with a $500,000 credit and personal shopper at Bergdorf Goodman or Harrod's
Could have been a discussion until I read that. Carry on...

Old 04-03-2011, 10:05 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post

I like this. Women in my family complain of the time they have to spend finding classic pieces, especially as they grow older and find stores catering to the 18-30 crowd. When I shop around the holidays for family, I find for the women, I have to cast a far wider net than standard mall fare to find something of suitable quality and style.

Isn't seersucker nice? It's the best kept preppy secret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
Could have been a discussion until I read that. Carry on...
I suppose in fairness it works the same way for men. An Oxxford or Brioni suit on a human rotunda won't hide that.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:19 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
The task, buy a pair of jeans:

Man: go to jeans area of store, buy a pair of $20 jeans, leave store and go home.

Woman: go to every store in the mall, spend 4 - 6 hours looking, come home with $800 worth of stuff, but no jeans cause "I just couldn't find any I liked".

Old 04-03-2011, 10:35 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
I hate shopping. My work clothes are bought at a uniform store. I'm in and out in less than ten minutes. My street clothes are jeans, khaki pants (what I call dress casual), and a variety of pullover or button down conservatively styled shirts. Only have there shorts. I don't like to show off my varicose veins. I could easily go five years without buying a new article of clothing. I kind of miss the old hard as a rock jeans. Those things were more expensive but they were built to last a decade or more.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:52 PM

127 posts, read 183,753 times
For me, it's all about quality. I try everything on and notice the craftsmanship. If it's bad, back on the rack it goes. When buying coats and jackets, I go 100 percent high-end designer, because they have the longest sleeves, and I have Mr. Tickle's incredibly long arms, so I need that length! There's nothing I hate more than showing up to an important meeting wearing sleeves that don't meet my wrists! Total nerd alert! (In software, they already know you are a nerd, so wearing highwater pants and too-short sleeves does NOT help your case.)

For basics, though, I'm not shy about buying from the big-box stores – cotton camisoles and tanks make fine layering pieces and are a total steal at $5 a piece. I don't like artificial fabrics like rayon and polyester very much, and I try to limit them in my wardrobe. I go for cotton, suede, wool, and leather whenever possible.

Finally, I think that how you care for your clothes makes a difference. I try to maximize the life of fabrics by hand-washing or washing them on the gentlest, coldest setting, not washing them after every wear, and air-drying when possible. You extend the life of a piece by years that way. Or, as Big-Bad-John so nicely put it "I don't waste clothes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty