Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 07:33 AM

17,554 posts, read 39,195,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's fine. The tips are mainly for therapists who work for spas, etc. Typically, they get paid half or less what the "house" is charging, so a tip is to help bring the pay up to par. Those who have their own office are charging full rate, in other words, there's no employer cut, so they don't need a tip, unless they're charging discount rates.
This ^^. I was going to post the same. In the past, whenever I have gone to a place where therapists were working for someone else and also perhaps charging lower rates, I gave a nice tip. Usually there are signs placed in these establishments such as "gratuities appreciated."

On the other hand, I now go to a professional myofascial worker with his own office, charging a high price and I do not tip. I see him regularly; however if I went only once or twice to "fix" something out of the ordinary, I would perhaps give him a little extra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 08:00 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,189,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This ^^. I was going to post the same. In the past, whenever I have gone to a place where therapists were working for someone else and also perhaps charging lower rates, I gave a nice tip. Usually there are signs placed in these establishments such as "gratuities appreciated."

On the other hand, I now go to a professional myofascial worker with his own office, charging a high price and I do not tip. I see him regularly; however if I went only once or twice to "fix" something out of the ordinary, I would perhaps give him a little extra.
Same here. My myotherapist is medicinal in attitude performance and office space. I see her as a regular med practitioner, which I would not tip (anyone tip their dentist).

My current regular massage therapist is pretty cheap (she's trying to build cliental )and I tend to tip $15 or so. For a $100 average massage I probably wouldn't tip much.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:41 AM

18,542 posts, read 18,789,988 times
Never had one, dont want one, dont like being pampered at all, OK if you like that sort of thing, but no, got more to do with my cash Im afraid.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:40 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,204,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
This is NOT a fashion topic, please move at once moderator!!

Calm down..it will be alright. Have a massage!

Old 12-07-2016, 07:42 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Never had one, dont want one, dont like being pampered at all, OK if you like that sort of thing, but no, got more to do with my cash Im afraid.
Diz, it's not always about being pampered. Massage is an important stress-reducer--you'd be surprised. And some people need massage for injuries to muscle tissue. Rotator cuff injuries, for example, can be successfully treated with regular (weekly) massage, instead of surgery. Massage can help people avoid surgery, if they can pay for the treatments, which aren't covered by insurance in some countries. Massage is also helpful in diabetes prevention, as it reduces the stress hormones that contribute to diabetes. It helps alleviate chronic pain. Some people who live with chronic back pain say the only time they get good sleep is the day and day after a massage.

Lots of good reasons to get massage for physical and mental health. I do not view it as an "extra", or as pampering.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:05 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,717,070 times
We have to tip? I hate this tipping business. Good thing I don't get message or much self care done to me. too expensive

Old 12-09-2016, 05:16 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,270,684 times
id go every week if I could- it is very relaxing,,,,,, at the high class spa... they are all professionals..

id recommend this for anyone- ive got a couple favorite lady's ...I ask for by name....

the tip is included in the original cost.....I think they try to avoid the whole tip and whats allowed conversation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty