Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:33 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good peel off mask? I don't want one with cucumber in it because I hate cucumbers - can't stand the taste or smell! I want to be able to peel away dead skin, blackheads, and hopefully minimize pores and tighten the skin.

I've been on numerous websites and am overwhelmed by all the products. I would just like a good recommendation from somebody who has used a peel off mask for the same or similar reasons, and has had good results.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 01:40 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
One time I got to use one of those japanese charcoal masks. The results were crazy awesome.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:41 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
On the cheapy drugstore end, Queen Helene makes a grapeseed peel-off mask that I like a lot: Buy Queen Helene Grape Seed Extract Peel Off Masque, Grape Seed Extract Online at drugstore.com

If you have oily skin, the Queen Helene Mint Julep mask is awesome. It's not peel-off, but it's great.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,201 times
Default You need Retinoids & a Clarisonic to get rid of blackheads. If you are over 30, the birth control pill.

You need retinoids & a Clarisonic to get rid of blackheads. The birth control pill also if you are over 30.
As for masks, try Freeman Pineapple Enzyme from the drugstore. Higher end, Karin Herzog & Ahava.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
On the cheapy drugstore end, Queen Helene makes a grapeseed peel-off mask that I like a lot: Buy Queen Helene Grape Seed Extract Peel Off Masque, Grape Seed Extract Online at drugstore.com

If you have oily skin, the Queen Helene Mint Julep mask is awesome. It's not peel-off, but it's great.
Queen Helene Grapeseed mask was going to be my suggestion...cheap and effective, like all Queen Helene products.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
You need retinoids & a Clarisonic to get rid of blackheads. The birth control pill also if you are over 30.
As for masks, try Freeman Pineapple Enzyme from the drugstore. Higher end, Karin Herzog & Ahava.
I have the Clarisonic - bought it for almost $300 from my esthetician, but it dries my skin out and when I put my makeup on, I have all these little flakes of dead skin that I pick off with my tweezers. This is why I want a peel-off mask - so I can peel off all the little flakes of skin. I was using the Clarisonic twice a week, then once a week, now I hardly use it at all because of the flaky skin situation.

I have something organic I bought at the same time as the Clarisonic - Lotus Moon, I think, but it burns and irritates my skin, so I don't use it. It cost a lot of money though!

Don't want to get back on birth control pills for various reasons.

I don't care about the cost, so I'll try both higher end, expensive and drug store masks, to see what works best.

To everybody - thank you for your suggestions!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:18 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Try a different facewash that is a cream wash and a lotion that soothes. Egg whites are good for tightening pores.

Sudsy facewashes make my skin flake. Maybe you need the gentle brush for your clairsonic? What makeup do you use? Ever tried a cream base or something that it touted to hydrate and sooth?

Old 02-19-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Try a different facewash that is a cream wash and a lotion that soothes. Egg whites are good for tightening pores.

Sudsy facewashes make my skin flake. Maybe you need the gentle brush for your clairsonic? What makeup do you use? Ever tried a cream base or something that it touted to hydrate and sooth?
I use Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser. It is a creamy facewash - doesn't foam up. I used this before I bought all the "organic" stuff from my esthetician. She uses the organic stuff on me during my appointments and it's fine, but for some reason, when I used it at home, it stings like hell and dries my face out. So I have all this expensive stuff that I'll likely never use.

I do have the gentle brush for the Clarisonic. I have three brushes - one for my body, the gentle for sensitive skin, and another face brush that is slightly more firm than the gentle/sensitive brush. I've only used the sensitive brush on my face.

Moisturizers - I mix up the routine. Sometimes I do the Clinique Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector followed with Clinique Even Better Skin Tone Correcting Moisturizer SPF20. Sometimes I use MAC Prep + Prime Skin Base followed by either MAC Studio Moisture Cream, or MAC Oil Control Lotion. Sometimes I just use (gasp!) Oil Of Olay Beauty Fluid. I mix it up because some days I just feel drier or oilier than other days.

I use all MAC cosmetics, but I am open to changing because I LOVE makeup. I just like the variety MAC offers in its formulations and colors in everything from foundations to eyeshadows. I buy other stuff here and there if I see something I like, but I stay pretty true to MAC.

While shopping at WinCpo today, I went ahead and bought a Freeman Cucumber mask - it was the only peel-off mask they had on the shelf. Of course, I was shopping with my husband so he isn't going to run all over the place looking for a mask with me. Even though I hate cucmbers, I'll give it a whirl tonight, until I can get out by myself and go "mask hunting".

Funny thing is ... when I am cruising around sans makeup, like today, I have NO flakes of skin on my face. The skin is smooth, non-flaky, and pretty much looks healthy. It seems it's when I put on moisturizer and makeup that I have this problem. But, I have to wear makeup when I go to work and school, otherwise I look like a zombie!

I appreciate your help!!!

Old 02-19-2011, 06:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
If your skin is flaking, then you are either dehydrated, have too much oil, or both. Dehydrated does NOT mean "not oily." It means "not enough water." If you have too much oil, then harsh chemicals will not help reduce oil, but they -will- strip your skin of water.

Pores cannot be "closed." You don't want closed pores. You want clean pores. Blackheads are just oil, that has been exposed to air and dirt. It sounds to me like you're trying WAY too hard to "get" perfect skin, when your skin is probably very healthy already - and all that stuff you're doing to it is just ruining it.

Use a simple SIMPLE evening routine:
1. A light oil eye makeup remover. Clarins makes a nice one, not too expensive, decent shelf life, gentle on the skin. Cottonball, moisten, swipe eye #1, then eye #2, done.
2. A mild cleanser - either a cream or lotion. Again, Clarins makes nice onces for a reasonable price, so does Origins. So does Ivory for that matter. Use a washcloth, wet it, add a few drops of cleanser to it, wring it out, and WIPE - NOT SCRUB - your face with the cloth.
3. Rinse with lukewarm water. Let the air dry your face.
4. You can use a toner to get the last remnants of cleanser/dried skin/makeup off your face; make it a no-alcohol type, and never use pure witch hazel, if you want to use that ingredient. Mix it with water, always.
5. A couple of drops of moisturizer - rubbed between CLEAN fingertips..then smeared gently over your entire face, from forehead down under your chin and across to each ear.

In the morning, your face is already clean. Just rinse the sleep off with a few splashes of water, and apply a little more moisturizer for the day. It's OKAY to have oil in the moisturizer, as long as it is a vegetable-based oil. No mineral, no emu, no lanolin. Avoid things that include the word "fragrance" in the ingredients list. Synthetic fragrances can be skin irritants if you're sensitive.

If you do this regularly for a few weeks, you'll find you're not getting blackheads like you were (everyone gets them now and then, they go away on their own as long as you sleep with a clean face every night). You'll find that your skin feels firmer, but still soft, and moist, and you'll be getting less flakes. And you'll find your makeup glides more smoothly over your skin, you won't need as much, and it'll be less of a chore to get it off at night.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
The best cleansing product I've ever used on my sensitive, easily messed up skin (one day it's oily, the next, flakey) is Burt's Bee's Soapbark and Chamomile cleansing cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty