Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:55 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,093,133 times

Advertisements

There are 4 covers for Elle magazine coming out. All 4 feature young starlets. All four are airbrushed, relit, all four girls look better than their usual day-to-day look. One girl is the girl from the movie Precious Gabourey Sidibe. A huge controversy has sparked because she appears lighter skinned, in the bright lighted photograph. But it doesn't stop there a lot of people are angry that they even removed a single, tiny imperfction from her photo at all.

My take on this is that as usual, NOBODIES BOTHERED to asked Gabourey about HER feelings about this, it's ALL about their feelings on the matter. It seems they assume she is the girl in the movie, so they know her. I'm going to go out here on a limb and say SHE IS A NORMAL KID, and normal young girls want to look their best in photos! But shockingly many people assume Elle had some evil motive in the photo. That Gabourey is now public property and must be shown in her worst light at all times while PCilly called beautiful, for HER OWN GOOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 07:19 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,349,990 times
No amount of airbrushing can possibly make her look good.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:53 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,588,192 times
People will make an issue of everything and nothing.

Photos for magazines are retouched and lighting will slightly alter the shades in a Black person's skin. I mean they didn't change her from chocolate to caramel. I don't get all of the fuss.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:48 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,316,676 times
Well just goes to show that those people are not photographers. When you try to photograph dark skin like hers you really have to blast a lot of light on her face. You are not seeing light skin, just light bouncing off really dark skin. If they did not do that she would just look like a dark shadow and her features would be lost. I would of done it with all AM sunlight though. They look liked they used a lot of digital amp up or just white studio lights.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:36 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,436,746 times
I think it would help to see the actual cover:

Was Gabourey Sidibe's skin lightened for the cover of ELLE? - Fashion + Beauty on Shine

Old 09-18-2010, 01:14 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,894,788 times
This is total politically correct nonsense.

Just recently I saw a small block regarding a Paris Hilton story. It was on the main page of a website, it had a small snippet, her recent jail photo, and another picture of her and her boyfriend all mashed up.

Once you click on the story and see that actual jail photo you can see she is way lighter and that they had made her skin more golden or tan for the photo displayed on the main page. There was a huge difference too, the photo displayed on the main page looked as if was taken under better conditions, yet no one will complain about that?

The problem here is that whenever it is a photo shoot of someone with unconventional beauty it is as if they alone must display all their flaws.

I do not understand the different standards other than to write it off on those who might choose to not make an effort toward conventional beauty standards themselves. Not that there is anything wrong with that, especially if they feel good about themselves, but there is something a bit wrong if they begin complaining regarding what a publication that has traditionally devoted toward conventional beauty standards.

It is not like all those complaining are loyal readers to Elle, so Elle should not care.

The fact though that the movie itself displays those African-Americans with lighter skin as being more affluent, they even used a back light to make one character always appear more glowing (aka lighter), from what I read about the movie, so why is no one complaining about the movie as well? Is it because blacks do come in all different shades? Is it because the movie was attempting to accurately portray some portion of reality or even a stereotype? If all that is true then why not realize fashion magazines edit all their covers, with all their models, and this is just business as usual.

I see this as more an attack on the fashion industry itself by those who detest it rather than any actual concerns.

Last edited by Merovee; 09-18-2010 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-18-2010, 02:59 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,316,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post

I see this as more an attack on the fashion industry itself by those who detest it rather than any actual concerns.

Yep. You should watch "the september issue". Anna Wintour feels the same way about this tude' that people get about the industry.

They alter EVERYONE's skin. EVERYONE.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,802,525 times
Photographers' flashes can turn black clothes see-through. We see evidence of this in every Whoops! column in fashion mags. They use bright bulbs. That's why Sidibe looks that color: she's under bright light.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:08 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,326,840 times
Of course they adjusted the lighting, windowing, and contrast for the picture. Do people really need to debate this? Certainly you would not want a very dark photo with no visible features on the cover of the magazine. If some deathly pale celeb is on a cover, they are going to darken it too. You don't want a featureless, white blob on the cover either.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:33 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,802,525 times
I suspect if Elle did feature a picture of Sidibe looking very dark, someone would have held up another pic where her skin appears lighter and accused Elle of trying to make her look extra black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty