Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Item(s) of Apparel Do You Dread Shopping for, When Shopping for Yourself?
Tops (Shirts, Blouses, etc) 5 16.13%
Bottoms (Pants, Trousers, Jeans, Skirts, etc.) 17 54.84%
Undergarments (Underwear, Bras, Shape-wear, etc.) 7 22.58%
Suits/Dresses 5 16.13%
Shoes 6 19.35%
Accessories (Hats, Bags, etc.) 1 3.23%
Other (Specify) 0 0%
All of the Above: Shopping is generally frustrating 4 12.90%
None of the above: Shopping is generally easy 2 6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:58 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,057,395 times

Advertisements

While I'll make any excuse to go shopping, I have a hard time shopping for pants, dresses, and undergarments (Bras).

As a petite, I usually discover: I can't find pants my size (marked petite); the pants my size are still too long/don't fit right; or, the selection is poor. However, I had better luck this time around.

Dresses are more about selection. My area is more 'casual' in general, and most dresses I find are homely/boring; wouldn't/don't flatter me; or, don't come in my size.

As for Bras, I didn't know my true size until a few months ago! While I found a few that work for me, I'm still looking for a better strapless..

Last edited by LexWest; 09-11-2010 at 09:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 09:16 PM

27,370 posts, read 27,420,252 times
I have a tough time finding swimsuits that fit right. No Im not fat or bulgy, but thats the problem, hard to fill some in. And at my age, underwire is a necessity, not an option.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:21 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,828,382 times
Dresses. I find everything else in spades, but I cannot for the life of me find a dress that I like and looks good on me. It seems like everything these days has an empire waist or is in an ugly colour.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,209,776 times
All of the above! I have a fairly average figure, but have a lot of trouble finding things that fit. Long torso, so one-piece swimsuits are hard. So are shirts. LOVE that long t-shirts are in style now. Dresses are hard for the same reason. Don't know who pants are made for. They all seem to be too long, and I'm 5'6''. My feet are wide, so shoes are difficult.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:08 PM

41,995 posts, read 75,304,387 times
Suits, skirts and pants, especially jeans. My hips are a size bigger than my waist, and two sizes bigger than my bust. Suits are tough, unless the jacket and skirt are purchased separately. Finding jeans that don't gap at the back of the waist is nearly impossible.

Note to fashion designers: Women have hips, as much as they don't like to admit it.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:38 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,412,417 times
Everything BUT accessories. Jewelry and Handbags always fit.

Shoes: I'm a size 12 and most designers/manufacturers don't make 12s. I have no idea what it's like to walk into a store and try on shoes. It's just a waste of my time to enter a shoe department. BUT thank god for Zappos, Endless and Nordstrom and my man, Stuart Weitzman. (Stu makes true size 12s with hot heels.) Although my husband would dispute that I have trouble finding shoes. We had some people doing work for us last month and they saw my racks filled with all my shoe/boot boxes and they asked if I was in the shoe business. LOL.

Pants/Jeans: Being 6'1", I can't just walk into a store and buy pants/jeans. Even "Long" or "Tall" lengths aren't long enough.

Bras/Lingerie: Being a 36G, I can't just walk into a lingerie store for undergarments.

Dresses: I'm really limited because most are designed for shorter, smaller busted women. I usually do best with dresses which are fitted (knits), otherwise if I buy something to accommodate my bust line, it's huge in the waist/hips.

Tops: Again, my bust is my biggest hurdle. When I find something that fits or works for me, I tend to buy it in multiple colors (and sometimes doubles!)

Old 09-12-2010, 09:43 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,255,342 times
I am 5'5", short waisted, and shaped like a guitar. Finding anything that fits is a challenge.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:38 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,800,602 times
I have a hard time finding shoes I LIKE.
I hardly ever buy shoes because of this.

I also have a hard time finding pants that are not too long and are not too short.
Monday I have to take some pants to the seamstress because of my weight loss. It's made my pants even longer.

I'm about 5'2 and I have a nice sized butt and a tiny waist. Pants shopping is not my favorite. I haven't bought new pants in a while.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:42 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,044,820 times
Pants. I have a 10" hip to waist ratio, so they ALWAYS have to be altered, but its hard to find anything that isnt made from nasty synthetic fabric and not be $100.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,647,244 times
Jeans of appropriate length are difficult for me to find; when I find them, I tend to stock up. I'm tall, and it can be hard to find ones that are long enough but not too long. I know everyone says, "have them tailored," but personally, I refuse to pay more than my jeans cost to get them altered (and while I can hem myself, at home, it always looks homemade and not very polished; I'm just not that good). So the only option is holding out for ones that fit right off the rack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty